Looking for advice on DAC/Amp purchase <400 dollars
Dec 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

manirelli

New Head-Fier
Just picked up a pair of AKG K701s and my Xonar DG is seriously struggling now...

I've been looking at a couple different options but I was hoping to get your opinions and advice.  Ideally I would like to stay under 400 dollars.

Products I have considered:
O2/ODAC
ODAC+[size=small]Matrix MStage[/size]
[size=small]Onyx Blackjack[/size]
[size=small]Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1[/size]

[size=small]As an added bonus, If there are any products out there that do 1/4" out by default that would be great.  I would really like to avoid using an adapter for the K701s if possible.[/size]

[size=small]Thanks![/size]

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Just picked up a pair of AKG K701s and my Xonar DG is seriously struggling now...
I've been looking at a couple different options but I was hoping to get your opinions and advice.  Ideally I would like to stay under 400 dollars.
Products I have considered:
O2/ODAC
ODAC+[size=small]Matrix MStage[/size]
[size=small]Onyx Blackjack[/size]
[size=small]Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1[/size]
[size=small]As an added bonus, If there are any products out there that do 1/4" out by default that would be great.  I would really like to avoid using an adapter for the K701s if possible.[/size]

The Asus Xonar Essence STX (PCI-E) sound comes with a better built in amp. then the DG, a better DAC and comes with Dolby Headphone 7.1 surround sound.
And cost less then half you budget.

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
The Asus Xonar Essence STX (PCI-E) sound comes with a better built in amp. then the DG, a better DAC and comes with Dolby Headphone 7.1 surround sound.
And cost less then half you budget.

While that is one solution, I'm trying to move outside my computer.  I've had a couple issue with minor interference and I already run crossfire GPUs on my mobo which makes space a bit tight along with increasing temps on the GPUs.

I've budgeted up to around 400 and don't really mind using it.

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 7
If your motherboard comes with S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output.
You can get an external (optical or coaxial) add-on DAC and still use your motherboard's built in audio features.
Guess you could also connect to the Xonar DG's optical output too.

If all your doing in music (no music or gaming), then USB should be fine too.

EDIT, just noticed you have dual GPU, guess you are a gamer.

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
If your motherboard comes with S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output.
You can get an external (optical or coaxial) add-on DAC and still use your motherboard's built in audio features.
Guess you could also connect to the Xonar DG's optical output too.

If all your doing in music (no music or gaming), then USB should be fine too.

EDIT, just noticed you have dual GPU, guess you are a gamer.

I'm not terribly worried about utilizing DTS for gaming.  I prefer the clearer sounds without distortion.  I appreciate the suggestions though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back