Looking for a super clean tube or solid state preamp.
Aug 24, 2010 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hugz

1000+ Head-Fier
My current rig uses:
  1. Storm Dac d02 (NOS. Very rich and warm sounding)
  2. either stepped attenuator, or a tube preamp that i dont like much
  3. Firstwatt F2 power amp (Solid state, mosfet, single ended transconductance amplifier)
  4. speakers or headphones

So i want to replace my "preamp" stage. Of my two preamps, the stepped attenuator is 100% neutral, but my power amp is only 5w so on some speakers I cant get enough volume. I also wonder if maybe i want a bit more lushness. my amp and dac are both warm, but who couldn't do with some tube love?

I dont want a preamp that's TOO tubey. combined with the DAC and amp, i think it would be over the top. I just wouldn't mind a bit of tube lushness. 300b tends to be nice and clean. tube, but not too tubey

A solid state preamp would also be fine; but it would have to be nice, /i dont want it to be the weakest linnk

Anyone have any suggestions? Lets not get too wild with price either

Thanks

Hugz

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 5
The Woo amps are said to be neutral, while retaining a hint of tubiness.  I have the Woo 3, and I have that same impression.  It's not bloated, loose, or flabby like some cheap tubes setups.  It's fairly neutral.  In fact, the only way I can tell it's a tube amp is the highs are slightly rolled off and there's a hint of mid-range bloom.  I like it a lot.  Of course, a lot of the final sound does depend on which tubes you use.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 5
If you're interested in clean-sounding tubes, have a look at the Grounded Grid Preamp at Transcendent Sound.  You can get it as a kit for $500 or fully factory assembled for $800.  If you've ever wielded a soldering iron, the kit is an excellent value.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Most headphone amps make wonderful preamps (similar technology - ability to drive long cables, low output impedance, volume control, some voltage gain).

With a wonderful amp like the F2, I would personally go for something that does a simple buffering/volume job on a decent budget.  Top recommendation would be a CKK-II, it's cheap (about $200 off the forums) and if I might say so myself, is overkill for a pre-amp, but it does an amazing job nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back