Looking for a starter amp/dac stack or combo for IEM's - especially T800
Mar 28, 2022 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SoMuchLogins

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new here. Please take in to account that i am dumb probably and dont understand something correctly

Couple of days ago I met with a new friend who is really into hi-fi audio and he reignited my passion for headphones and music. Came back home and realised I didn't drive my Audiosense T800 properly because I got lazy and just use them with my S10+ phone and never really let them open up.

Thats why I thought I'm going to buy myself a dac and an amp, so I can drive my t800's. Form here things for me get kind of complicated and i dont really know what should i pick. I dont want to pick a dac and amp that will have too much power for the t800 because they have only 9.3 ohm Impedance. I dont want to make them too harsh and i saw some people on the internet having this problem. But, I also want a setup that will be able to drive more than low Impedance headphones.

I've been thinking about getting a schiit audio asgard + dac chip because it looks like a good starting point for a newbie like me, but im not sure about driving my t800 with it and i dont want to buy something that will require me to get some different pair of earphones.

My budget is around 400 usd - that would be awesome, but I'm willing to pay more if something more expensive is significantly better than the competition and will last me longer. I just want to try out new headphones, have fun but experience them properly not the half assed away like I've been doing till now.

Thanks for help.

Mar 28, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 6
Hey guys, I'm new here. Please take in to account that i am dumb probably and dont understand something correctly

Couple of days ago I met with a new friend who is really into hi-fi audio and he reignited my passion for headphones and music. Came back home and realised I didn't drive my Audiosense T800 properly because I got lazy and just use them with my S10+ phone and never really let them open up.

Thats why I thought I'm going to buy myself a dac and an amp, so I can drive my t800's. Form here things for me get kind of complicated and i dont really know what should i pick. I dont want to pick a dac and amp that will have too much power for the t800 because they have only 9.3 ohm Impedance. I dont want to make them too harsh and i saw some people on the internet having this problem. But, I also want a setup that will be able to drive more than low Impedance headphones.

I've been thinking about getting a schiit audio asgard + dac chip because it looks like a good starting point for a newbie like me, but im not sure about driving my t800 with it and i dont want to buy something that will require me to get some different pair of earphones.

My budget is around 400 usd - that would be awesome, but I'm willing to pay more if something more expensive is significantly better than the competition and will last me longer. I just want to try out new headphones, have fun but experience them properly not the half assed away like I've been doing till now.

Thanks for help.

You need a source with an output impedance of < 1 ohm ideally, due to the rules of eights: https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/0...erm 'rule of eighths,had with a greater range.

The T800 has an output impedance of 9.3 ohms, so 9.3 divide by 8 is ~ 1 ohm. I have the T800 and if it is paired with higher output impedance source, the sound signature gets skewed and it sounds shouty. The T800 doesn't require amping actually, more that the output impedance must be low.

The Schiit asgard 3 amp is a good pairing, I also have the asgard 3. It has a reported 0.2 ohm output impedance and also has a black background with no hiss on the T800. The asgard 3 also has a low gain setting which is perfect for sensitive IEMs like the T800.

Something cheaper would be dongles. For example, the $27 USD tempotec sonata HD Pro has a < 1 ohm output impedance with a dark background and no hiss with the T800.

Mar 28, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 6
I’ve seen the T800 at 90 db/mW and also 112 db/mW so not sure which is right.

Mar 28, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 6
I had a lot of fun with the Drop THX One which has 3 positions for gain to handle ear buds or most headphones. The JDS Atom DAC looked nice on it and sounded great for the money. I used World's Best Cables to finish it off, and it would be on budget too.

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 6
I think Topping DX3 Pro+ would be plenty enough.
This deice looks pretty cool. Small but mighty and not that expensive. Sounds like it could be a great starting point for me.
You need a source with an output impedance of < 1 ohm ideally, due to the rules of eights: https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-impedance-demystified/#:~:text=The term 'rule of eighths,had with a greater range.

The T800 has an output impedance of 9.3 ohms, so 9.3 divide by 8 is ~ 1 ohm. I have the T800 and if it is paired with higher output impedance source, the sound signature gets skewed and it sounds shouty. The T800 doesn't require amping actually, more that the output impedance must be low.

The Schiit asgard 3 amp is a good pairing, I also have the asgard 3. It has a reported 0.2 ohm output impedance and also has a black background with no hiss on the T800. The asgard 3 also has a low gain setting which is perfect for sensitive IEMs like the T800.

Something cheaper would be dongles. For example, the $27 USD tempotec sonata HD Pro has a < 1 ohm output impedance with a dark background and no hiss with the T800.
Oh, I finally understand how this works. Thanks.
Yeah I thought about buying a dongle, but later gave up on that idea because connecting them to my pc sounds like a pain, some of them work, some of them kind of work, some dont work at all and I dont want to risk it.
I think ill go with the Topping DX3 Pro+ or Asgard + dac chip option but Schiit sounds a bit like an overkill for me now I guess.
Thank you for help, learned something today haha!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back