Looking for a solid pair of closed ear headphones for under 100$
Jul 13, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #17 of 36
Thanks alot for everyones advice, my only question left is whether I should get a good amp to go with these. If it would improve the sound quality significantly then I would be perfectly willing to invest in one seeing as how I will only be spending about 40 dollars if I get the pro 700 headphones. As mentioned before, if I am to have an amplifier it would need to be able to fit in my pocket.

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #19 of 36
Alright, well if and when I get the dbi pro 700 headphones, if they sound significantly better when I plug them into my home stereo system as opposed to my mp3 player, what would be a recommended amplifier for them?

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #20 of 36

Quote:
for only 30 dollars you can get sennheiser hd 202s (entry level headphones). However, they rock and sound really good.

Oddly enough I absolutely hate mine, resigning it as a loaner to my mom when we record. They seem to sound better with a little bast boost (i have a filo e3 i tested with it), but in general, i kinda wish i had gotten something else.

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #21 of 36
I owned the M50's, and the dbi's kill them in sound stage & all around clarity. The Bass is bigger (slightly) w/the M50's, but it's sloppy in comparison. I'll go w/my dbi pro-700 or 705's any day. Only my HFI-780's are better, and only minimally, in the low end.

As for amping, the 700's are 40ohm, and the 705's 35ohm - no amp necessary. It will give the 700's a bigger bass "PUNCH" that's on par w/the M50's, but not worth the extra baggage to me personally - YMMV.

dbi's are a hidden gem - FTW!!!

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #22 of 36

Quote:
I owned the M50's, and the dbi's kill them in sound stage & all around clarity. The Bass is bigger (slightly) w/the M50's, but it's sloppy in comparison. I'll go w/my dbi pro-700 or 705's any day. Only my HFI-780's are better, and only minimally, in the low end.

As for amping, the 700's are 40ohm, and the 705's 35ohm - no amp necessary. It will give the 700's a bigger bass "PUNCH" that's on par w/the M50's, but not worth the extra baggage to me personally - YMMV.

dbi's are a hidden gem - FTW!!!

Well, my 700s are on the way from Ebay.  Once I AB them w/ my M50's I'll know if you are full of crap!  
tongue.gif
  Nice to see ya btw.
wink.gif
 My Ultrasone 2500s came in too...

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #23 of 36
 You could try the Sennheiser HD-228's which are portable and closed.

I got some earlier today from Ebay for roughly $20-$25, Not sure if that is cheap or average price

From first impressions they sound similar to the HD-555 but with less of a large soundstage and less bass - But this might be because they don't totally cover your ears like the HD-555 do.

I'm running music through them to see if the sound changes as they have only been used for about an hour so far

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #24 of 36

Quote:
Well, my 700s are on the way from Ebay.  Once I AB them w/ my M50's I'll know if you are full of crap!  
tongue.gif
  Nice to see ya btw.
wink.gif

Let me know how those 2500's sound when you get a little time alone w/them.
popcorn.gif

As for the M50's vs 700's, the M50's really get muddy in the mid range AFAIC. I was shocked when I tried the SRH750DJ's,....and I sold the M50's soon afterwards. Good HP's, but too cloudy sounding.

The dpi Pro-700's will be enjoyable for you, but they're no Ultrasone 2500!!!

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #25 of 36

Quote:
tongue.gif
  Nice to see ya btw.
wink.gif

Awesome, another opinion on these would be great before I go and buy them. It still seems a bit too good to be true, even though I have heard only good things about them from you guys here and using google, and all of the maybe 10-15 or so people that have been sent this same exact item from him on ebay posted reviews confirming its legitimacy. Looking forward to seeing what you think about them.

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #26 of 36

Quote:
Awesome, another opinion on these would be great before I go and buy them. It still seems a bit too good to be true, even though I have heard only good things about them from you guys here and using google, and all of the maybe 10-15 or so people that have been sent this same exact item from him on ebay posted reviews confirming its legitimacy. Looking forward to seeing what you think about them.

Well, the issue seems to be that my M50's are the opposite sound signature to the 700's.  Not sure how that compares.  But I have MS-1i's coming too so that might be a better comparo.

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #27 of 36

Quote:
Well, the issue seems to be that my M50's are the opposite sound signature to the 700's.  Not sure how that compares.  But I have MS-1i's coming too so that might be a better comparo.

So you actually find the bass lacking in the pro-700's? I guess I'm just not a fan of the M50's veil then - I'm more agitated by it, so I can't get to really appreciate the full bass.

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #28 of 36

Quote:
So you actually find the bass lacking in the pro-700's? I guess I'm just not a fan of the M50's veil then - I'm more agitated by it, so I can't get to really appreciate the full bass.

Woops, didn't actually get the 700's in yet.  Was responding to some impressions I read about the 700 signature.  They sounded more like a more balanced Grado from some readings.  

As for the M50's,  I'll be trying the tape mod on them tonight to get the mids out more and tighten the bass a bit.

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #29 of 36

Quote:
Woops, didn't actually get the 700's in yet.  Was responding to some impressions I read about the 700 signature.  They sounded more like a more balanced Grado from some readings.  

As for the M50's,  I'll be trying the tape mod on them tonight to get the mids out more and tighten the bass a bit.

Ah, got ya'. The 700's are quite balanced IMO, w/nice bass. The 705's are more LOUD, and I think have a little less bass than the 700's (tho most claim otherwise - it's probably because the perceived volume on the 700's is lower).

I mostly use my 705's ATM, as I'm awaiting the arrival of my Bayer pads for the 700's - and a Cowon D2 also. Plus, I'm gonna try them w/my Nano - the SQ is (IMO - YMMV) better on the Nano than on my touch. LOUD as H-E-C-K!!!

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #30 of 36
I am anxiously awaiting the opinions of other members on the dbi pro 700's!  Someones got to speak up about them eventually as 14 have already been sold from that ebay listing.  Let us know asap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back