Looking for a new sound setup for gaming and music
Sep 12, 2021 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

VirtualBoost

New Head-Fier
Hi there Head-Fi!

It's been a while since I posted on these forums, as I have now sold the previously recommended Hifiman HE-400s as I moved to Japan for almost two years ago. Now I have been using my gaming headphones (Razer BlackShark V2), which are honestly decent but I am now looking for an upgrade since I have acquired a job here.

I am looking for headphones around the $300 range, $400 max. I liked the Hifiman HE-400S but since I want to use the new headphones for gaming, I would like to combo it up with the newly updated V-Moda BoomPro X (found here: https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/boom-pro-x). I tried the ModMic but I felt it was a bit annoying with the extra cables it generated, thus I would prefer to have one cable only (if possible).

Regarding sound signature I am willing to try something new, since I am honestly a bit clueless when it comes to what sound I like and don't like. The only real requirements that I have are that they are comfortable for longer sessions as well that they have a wide, open-backed soundstage. The music I like is rock and metal, usually I listen to various different metalcore bands such as Ice Nine Kills, Phinehas, Crystal Lake, Bury Tomorrow, etc., but I also listen to a lot of bands such as Deafheaven and Green Druid.

Also, since I am using a gaming laptop, the inline 3.5mm jack creates a lot of hiss and cracks due to driver issues that I can't seem to resolve. Thus, I am also looking to buy a DAC/AMP for my laptop as well. I would prefer that the DAC/AMP has an inline jack for both headset and microphone, but I am willing to look at alternatives. If there is a good alternative for $200, that would be great but I understand that it might be difficult to find.

Hope this information helps!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 7
Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 7
The Schiit Hel always seems to be sold out, but I have heard good reports about Mayflower Audio Arc Mk2.

I use a SoundblasterX G6 (along with Audeze LCD-XC + GX boom mic) for gaming, the audio is "fine" but the soundblaster does have the gaming related signal processing, a CTIA headset (4-pole headphone/mic) socket, a separate mic in socket, line in and optical in/out.

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 7
The Schiit Hel always seems to be sold out, but I have heard good reports about Mayflower Audio Arc Mk2.

I use a SoundblasterX G6 (along with Audeze LCD-XC + GX boom mic) for gaming, the audio is "fine" but the soundblaster does have the gaming related signal processing, a CTIA headset (4-pole headphone/mic) socket, a separate mic in socket, line in and optical in/out.
Hey,
I'm considering getting the LCD-2 classic with the GX boom mic, and I currently have the SBX G6 as well. Would you say that it's enough to power the LCD? Or what do you mean by just "fine"?

/N

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 7
I have some some good DAC's (xDuoo xd-05 balanced and ifi iDSD neo), in that company the SoundblasterX G6 is fine. It certainly has enough power to drive my LCD-2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back