Looking for a Made in the USA tube amp
Mar 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bidea117

Head-Fier
I am a new audiophile but know my stuff. I am inquiring if you could help me in finding a tube amp made in the USA. My limit is $100-150. Any suggestions would be great. My preference would be a neutral sounding amp. I've been doing some research online but nothing much.

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 16
iBasso T3

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 16
A portable headphone tube amp?  Are you sure you want a tube amplifier?  That seems further away from neutral than solid state...bravo tube amps are the only ones in that price range that I know of, but neutral?  Hm...

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 16
What would you recommend?

Quote:
A portable headphone tube amp?  Are you sure you want a tube amplifier?  That seems further away from neutral than solid state...bravo tube amps are the only ones in that price range that I know of, but neutral?  Hm...

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 16
As far as I know, only TTVJ marketed a portable tube amp. IIRC, it was discontinued. Also, it cost more than $100.

If you want tubes on the cheap, you'll need to build an amp yourself. Also, it won't be portable. Tubes, generally, need a high voltage power supply. That's not something you can do with batteries, unless you want to carry a car battery with you. Not to mention the heat most tubes generate. Solid state is a much better choice for portables.

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 16
Thank you for your aid. What would you recommend for say the Audio Technica A700? I am looking into either those or the 750DJs.

Quote:

Quote:
As far as I know, only TTVJ marketed a portable tube amp. IIRC, it was discontinued. Also, it cost more than $100.

If you want tubes on the cheap, you'll need to build an amp yourself. Also, it won't be portable. Tubes, generally, need a high voltage power supply. That's not something you can do with batteries, unless you want to carry a car battery with you. Not to mention the heat most tubes generate. Solid state is a much better choice for portables.

Quote:

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 16
So then what would be your recommendations if not a tube amp. I am leaning toward either the Audio Technica ATH-A700 or the Sure SRH-750DJ for my next headphone purchase, something that has pretty good bass (not lacking), decent mids and highs, good soundstage (neutal sounding but i am willing to change my mind on it), well built,etc. Anyways, any suggestions as far as amps go?

Quote:
As UE stated, TTVJ made a portable tube hybrid amp and it sounds excellent (I know cos I have one) . They pop in the FS occasionally for ~$300 or so.

Quote:
Since I didn't address it earlier, tubes can be very neutral. It all depends on the tubes used and the circuit.

Quote:

Quote:

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
So then what would be your recommendations if not a tube amp. I am leaning toward either the Audio Technica ATH-A700 or the Sure SRH-750DJ for my next headphone purchase, something that has pretty good bass (not lacking), decent mids and highs, good soundstage (neutal sounding but i am willing to change my mind on it), well built,etc. Anyways, any suggestions as far as amps go?

This one from Neco Soundlab. Its more than your budget but it sounds really good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUAL-AMP-portable-headphone-amplifier-V-2-/140519794881?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item20b7a1e8c1

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #13 of 16
Mar 29, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #14 of 16
Jan 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #15 of 16
Any advice for a "tube sounding" portable solid state headphone amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back