Looking for a good pair of multi-use headphones
Nov 6, 2010 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Cyberdemon

New Head-Fier
Hi guys! I was googling around looking information and I saw this site. I have to say I really liked it, you have a nice community here and I'll like to be a part of it.

I have to begin by saying I'm from Venezuela. I have really limited access to foreign currency (USD/EUR) so I mostly have only Amazon gift cards. I've been saving for a new pair of headphones for a while to replace my Sennheisers HD 203. I have around 100$ to spend and I'd like some recomendations from yhe people in here.

I'm going to use them mostly for music (any kind, from RnB to Opera) but I'm also a casual gamer and maybe some movies.

I have a Pioneer VSX-516 receiver for the gaming/movies/music and a 3G iPod Touch.

I'd like to carry them around with me to college, work, bus.... So they have to be of a good build quality. Comfort is a plus too.

Any comment is appreciated, thank you!

PS: Excuse my grammar hehe
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 16
Hello, I would like to suggest the Sennheiser 555 headphones. they have a good soundstage, excellent detail, and very comfortable. heres a link to my review www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521273/review-sennheiser-hd-555-my-first-phones#post_7037790 I think the link kinda messed up so just copy/paste. they can be transported but if I were you I would get something like IEMs for on-the-go usage.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 16
Neither of those are really suitable to portable usage since they're open, large, and relatively fragile. (I dare someone to carry around a pair of AD700s in a backpack full of other crap.)

The ATH-M50s are built tough enough to survive such treatment and sound great too.  The Grado SR60i/SR80i/MS1i can be used portably as well, but are open and leak tons of noise so they may annoy nearby people and are no good at all in libraries.

Any of the above should be fine either out of your receiver or ipod.  IMO the M50s do better with varied genres while the Grados specialize in rock and metal.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 16
Try the Sony MDR-V6. They fold up and are easy to take along, are closed, and sound pretty good. I had a pair for years and loved them. The MDR-V6 is used in many professional and studio applications, too.

The best part is that some bricks'n'mortar stores actually carry them, so you might be able to try them before buying. Give them some thought.

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 16
Ok, thank you for your recomendations.. Right now, I'm digging the AT M50. I like the cord and they're closed so I think they'll be better to listening in public.

I considered the AD700 and the Senns 555 but they're open and that's what's keeping me from buying one of them. I don't really want everybody around listening to my music and bothering them.

What other options I have in the closed deparment? And maybe you could recommend a bang for the buck amplifier to buy later. Specially for the iPod. Do you think I'd be needing one?

I'm going to take a look at those Sonys, they seem fairly nice and worth the research. I'm not a big fan of Sony though.

Thanks a lot, you're great!

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 16
Just get the M50 they're durable, fold up, easy to drive from an ipod, closed, balanced sound that goes well with all music, detailed but not harsh.  I think everyone getting their first headhone should start with the M50 and go from there.  Unless they know more about what sound they want.  Because there's a really good chance you'll like the M50 and it will be all you need.

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
And maybe you could recommend a bang for the buck amplifier to buy later. Specially for the iPod. Do you think I'd be needing one?

I'm going to take a look at those Sonys, they seem fairly nice and worth the research. I'm not a big fan of Sony though.

You probably wont need an amp with any of the headphones mentioned so far unless its to make up for a shortfall of your source.  My Cowon D2+, for example, has a bass roll off with low impedance headphones which the high input impedance of an amp corrects.  I'm don't think the new ipods have that sort of problem though.  On the other hand, something like a cmoy doesn't cost much and sound plenty good.  It certainly won't hurt anything.

Also, while Sony is pretty hit or miss these days but the V6 is definitely a hit.

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Yeah I'm not an audiophile and I think the M50 will suit me well. How's the bass response in those by the way? Is it good enough for some RnB and Electro?

Too much bass for the sunheads, too little for the moonheads but perfect for earthheads ( my terminology for bright headphone lovers, bass lovers and studio monitor lovers respectively - inspired by the audio-gd opamps
beyersmile.png
)

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 16

Hahaha nice one! I'm more like a earthead but closer to the moon side than the sunny side 
biggrin.gif

I read the review of the M50 in Audioholics and I think I'm going for them after the recommendations here too. I just have to choose between the coiled or straight cable. I'm leaning towards the coiled one but I'm worried about it beeing too "coily?" I mean, I don't want to have the feeling they're pulling me towards the audio source. I've never used coiled headphones.

BTW where can I find some head-fi wallpapers? I found a thread but they were gone 
frown.gif

Quote:

Too much bass for the sunheads, too little for the moonheads but perfect for earthheads ( my terminology for bright headphone lovers, bass lovers and studio monitor lovers respectively - inspired by the audio-gd opamps
beyersmile.png
)

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 16
Well I decided to buy the M50s, just waiting for a couple of things to make the order...

Today my pair of Sennheiser MM 50 iP just died... The cable joint in the jack is very flimsy and it just broke, the sound quality is good tough. So I'm looking for a new pair of earphones WITH MIC for my iTouch (I use Skype a lot, and Whatsapp for voice messages, etc) I'm not going to use them much for music but I still want a decent sound out of them and more important durability, I don't want to buy a new pair every year.

So my budget is around 40$ I know it's not much but it's all I got for this. I've been looking around and I saw the Klipsch Image S2mm they seem to be a pretty decent pair of earphones. They're on Amazon for 27$, I'm just afraid of the build quality, some people said they don't last 6 months....

Any recommendation would be appreciated!

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 16
Might want ask that in the portable forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back