Looking for a custom IEM which soung sig closest to full-size cans
Sep 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ucrags84

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, 

I'm looking for a new pair of custom IEMs with a sound signature that is full, rich, and airy in presentation like full size cans ( as much as possible). 

Given the closed nature of IEM's I know this is a tall order, I am also looking to keep this around $600 or so. Should I keep looking, or forget about this and go for the FX700s?

Thanks

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 5
What headphones are you trying to emulate and what IEMs?  The Sony EX1000 has the closest presentation to sub-$600 headphones I have heard, but I wouldn't say they are rich or full.  I just strted listening to the Wan Xuan wx i9pro and it is full and rich with a spacious presntation, but not all that airy (and $669).  

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 5
This is tricky. I currently have the SM3, but they feel dull and lifeless. I pretty much feel they have a rich midrange, but the bass is too light for me even eq'ed. I did a test to check my seal, and that was fine, so I am looking for something along the lines of an FX700 maybe blended with an IE8? 

Something with far more impact, open, airy. Hope this description helps. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 5
First, since you have the SM3, you may want to experiement with the fit more.  BAs are much more dependent on insertion depth than dynamics.  If you can find the original SM3 thread I have an ear tip section...

The i9pro isn't bass light and I would say it is close to a blend between the IE8 and FX700...warmth with impact and space...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back