Looking for a cheap pair of headphones
Jul 23, 2011 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

njunk

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I've been lurking for a bit, but I really need some help. I have a nice pair of IEMs already, but wanted a pair of full sized headphones for around the house. I'm looking to spend around $50, listen to alternative and hard rock mostly but comfort is also a big deciding factor. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance

Jul 23, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 14
Shure 240

about the best you can get for that price

Jul 23, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 14
i bet he could find some sony V6's or shure 440s used for somewhere close to that

Jul 23, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 14
X2 on the V6! Very very detailed, they isolate and are pretty **** comfy.

Edit: now I got what someone meant in another thread when they couldn't say the " D " word lol ok then.

Jul 24, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
X2 on the V6! Very very detailed, they isolate and are pretty **** comfy.

Edit: now I got what someone meant in another thread when they couldn't say the " D " word lol ok then.

The V6 depends on OP's source. If they are under driven, they are a train wreck to listen to. But any good and cheap amp with push these without worry.

OP, you would need a good source to push the V6

240 aren't as good, but unamped they are well worth it. If you can push them well, like you have a Cowon or Sansa player, the V6 should be great.

Jul 24, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 14
Any Superlux's.
AKG K430
Sony MDR-V6 
Sennheiser HD202

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for the replies all :D My source would be an iPod and I don't really wanna have to tack on an amp as it would just make it bulkier. So do I absolutely need an amp to power the V6s then? If I do, would I be better off with the Shures or JVC unamped?

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Thanks for the replies all :D My source would be an iPod and I don't really wanna have to tack on an amp as it would just make it bulkier. So do I absolutely need an amp to power the V6s then?

IMO no. Just make sure your files are lossless or at least 320 kbps. I like the sound that comes out of my ipod with the V6's. 

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #14 of 14
going to suggest something no one else would because it looks too flashy.

Sennheiser HD438.

Comfortable.
Good sound, clear and bassy. (imo).
Doesn't leak sound, but it doesn't isolate too well either.
Headband plastic is quite hard but the extension parts are a little weak.

iirc, they're about the same price as the 240s.

Also, might want to try the Grado Sr-60i.
It goes for about the same price as a 240 where I'm from.

I haven't heard the 240, but if you search for Shure stuff, some people have complained
that Shures are a little plasticky and are not very comfortable. Senns are comfortable, since
they don't clamp too tight on your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back