Looking for 2nd DAC @ Audio-gd Ref-1/7 level
Aug 28, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

MM does in fact have pretty good quality of components and workmanship.  I used to own one.

Sorry but I am not live in fairy tale as some people. MM is hp/pre amp, also high-end balanced dac with xlr/bnc/rca/usb inputs and it is everytihing for $330..? But this is on another thread. Please go back to the original interesting thread.  

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #17 of 35
If you already like the Reference 1 or 7, but want an SE DAC, why not just get the Reference 9?

Aug 28, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #18 of 35

Quote:
Sorry but I am not live in fairy tale as some people. MM is hp/pre amp, also high-end balanced dac with xlr/bnc/rca/usb inputs and it is everytihing for $330..? But this is on another thread. Please go back to the original interesting thread.  

I said "Pretty good", you got "high-end" and proceeded to go on about fairy tales.....

Agreed, this convo is useless...

Back to our scheduled Program!

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #19 of 35

Quote:

Ok fine

Aug 28, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #21 of 35
Dynabot I will not prove anything. I wrote only my tip on a great DAC from my experience, nothing more. Honestly I do not understand people like you who bashing something which do not understand and mainly you have never heard it! Definitely I am not curious on your thoughts!

As regards chips it is very subjective. I know a few people who prefer AD1955 over any another chips because it is very clear. I can not speak for myself I do not have too much experience but what I know chips is not everything.

As regards specs, no problem in future. I will not try it with my English now.

I am sorry dukja for your thread, hope you will find what you are looking for.

Aug 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:
I am confused, what's wrong with the RCA outputs of the REF1?

Nothing, it's just that you are only using approximately half of the dac's circuitry this way. It makes sense to use the RE1 as intended (ACSS or XLR) but if one plans on going balanced in the future then an RE1 or RE7S is a good choice to build a system around. The key is to determine what road you want to travel in the future...stay with Se'd system or balanced ?

Peete.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:
If you already like the Reference 1 or 7, but want an SE DAC, why not just get the Reference 9?

Thanks, Currawong.  That is very interesting.  For some reason, Ref 9 escaped my attention totally.  On the other hand, Ref 9 is also categorized as "Musical" DAC.  I wonder what's Kingwa's definition on that term (i.e. the difference between Ref 9 & Ref 1 in addition to SE vs. balanced).

Quote:
I am confused, what's wrong with the RCA outputs of the REF1?

Pete answered your question exactly!

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #25 of 35

Quote:
Thanks, Currawong.  That is very interesting.  For some reason, Ref 9 escaped my attention totally.  On the other hand, Ref 9 is also categorized as "Musical" DAC.  I wonder what's Kingwa's definition on that term (i.e. the difference between Ref 9 & Ref 1 in addition to SE vs. balanced).

http://www.audio-gd.com/SoundFlavorsEN.htm

A few people who have both heard acss and diamond differential say the difference is pretty small, with diamond differential sounding slightly warmer relative to acss, which is how audio-gd describes it, but people tend to associate the word "musical" with "very colored" which is not the case here. Google translation of audio-gd's chinese sound flavor page calls diamond differential gear like ref 9 "neutral, but slightly sweet".

If you want to read some opinions by regal and tim3320070, start from last post of this page to page 15

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495549/are-audio-gd-dac-s-all-that/165

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #26 of 35
If you like the Ref-1, you'll like the Ref-9 I'm sure. The important aspects (neutral, detail without harshness, wide soundstage, black background) are present in the Ref-1 and Ref-8 (similar to Ref-9) from my experience.

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #27 of 35
Why must it be an Audio-gd DAC? Believe it or not, there are many (many) other MFR's of very nice DACs out there. Go on any speaker based forum (actually any audio forum besides head-fi) and there is plenty of chatter about other brand DACs. 

Quote:
Nothing, it's just that you are only using approximately half of the dac's circuitry this way. 

The DAC dosnt have circuitry to sum the balanced outputs to single ended? Thats weak.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #29 of 35
Thanks a lot, guys!  Those are valuable information for me (and save me a lot of time digging into the threads
smile_phones.gif
)

Quote:

http://www.audio-gd.com/SoundFlavorsEN.htm

A few people who have both heard acss and diamond differential say the difference is pretty small, with diamond differential sounding slightly warmer relative to acss, which is how audio-gd describes it, but people tend to associate the word "musical" with "very colored" which is not the case here. Google translation of audio-gd's chinese sound flavor page calls diamond differential gear like ref 9 "neutral, but slightly sweet".

If you want to read some opinions by regal and tim3320070, start from last post of this page to page 15

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495549/are-audio-gd-dac-s-all-that/165

Quote:
If you like the Ref-1, you'll like the Ref-9 I'm sure. The important aspects (neutral, detail without harshness, wide soundstage, black background) are present in the Ref-1 and Ref-8 (similar to Ref-9) from my experience.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #30 of 35
Yes, I do open to other possibilities.  It is just that Ref-1 was my 1st jump into >$1k DAC and I am very happy with it.  With also the experience of Phoenix, those just add up and reenforce my confidence on Kingwa's work and sound signature.

And I have tried some well praised DAC in around $1k range and was totally surprised by its "unique" (put it gently) SQ.  That disappointment kind of puts a halt on "simply following the praise".  And that's the original motive of starting this thread using Ref-1 as my preferred SQ measuring stick.
Quote:
Why must it be an Audio-gd DAC? Believe it or not, there are many (many) other MFR's of very nice DACs out there. Go on any speaker based forum (actually any audio forum besides head-fi) and there is plenty of chatter about other brand DACs. 

The DAC dosnt have circuitry to sum the balanced outputs to single ended? Thats weak.

RCA output 2.5V and XLR 5V and ASCC 4.8 mA with 1k ohm load.  I guess SE does not sum it up.  Any expert can confirm it? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back