Looking for 2nd DAC @ Audio-gd Ref-1/7 level
Jul 10, 2010 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

dukja

500+ Head-Fier
I have been greatly blessed by my Ref-1 and appreciate it more the longer I own it. Even with RCA to my CSP2+, it sound just amazing and so nice.  But it makes more sense to use it with Phoenix with balanced ACSS.  So now I am looking for a DAC with similar SQ strength (highly accurate and focused imaging, excellent SNR, controlled and authoritative bass, refined and non-digital sound).

Since this is for my SE tube amp so I really don't need the balanced output.  I would appreciate your comments if you have heard Ref-1 and also found other good DAC is capable at the same level (performance and price).   Audio-GD's offerings are welcomed but others like bryston, Wyred4Sound, are also good candidates.  But I would really appreciate comments after you have had long-term experience with both.

Many thanks! 

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 35
It seems Kingwa still pushing his great DACs out every some months!  I have not had a time to read through all his gears and hence will appreciate someone has experience in his recent gears (DAC-19, Ref-5, etc) can share your experience comparing with Ref-1 or Ref-7.  I actually don't need ACSS and balanced output at this moment to mate with Decware CSP2+.  So it will be nice to find some gear that all circuit will get to be used in RCA output.

Still balanced DAC is welcome since I may go for the balanced tube amp in the future.

Thanks for your input!

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 35
I found the difference between the Ref-1 and Ref-8 are small- both are revealing, delicate and natural.  Not going balanced is wasted on the Ref-7/8. Kingwa even states that the DAC-19 is nearly equal to those in SE mode.

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 35
Thanks for the reply.  So it seems that DAC-19 DF or DSP-1 shall be good choice for me since I am pretty happy with Ref-1 => SE RCA => CSP2+.  If what Kingwa said is true, then DAC-19 should be what I need.

Have anyone compare DAC-19 with other non-Audio-gd DACs such as PSA DLIII or Stello DA100?

And is the DSP-1 a good step up from DF version for DAC-19?

And any non-Audio-gd contenders?  (I just realized that why not much response to this quest.  It is basically very hard, if not impossible, to beat the performance/cost value of Audio-GD's Ref-1/7/8
biggrin.gif
)

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 35

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.  So it seems that DAC-19 DF or DSP-1 shall be good choice for me since I am pretty happy with Ref-1 => SE RCA => CSP2+.  If what Kingwa said is true, then DAC-19 should be what I need.

Have anyone compare DAC-19 with other non-Audio-gd DACs such as PSA DLIII or Stello DA100?

And any non-Audio-gd contenders?  (I just realized that why not much response to this quest.  It is basically very hard, if not impossible, to beat the performance/cost value of Audio-GD's Ref-1/7/8
biggrin.gif
)

It appears you have the DL III how would you compare it to Audiogd Ref1..??

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 35

Quote:

biggrin.gif
)

It appears I spoke incorrectly about the AGD DAC's (Kingwa has corrected me on this). The Ref-1/7/8 are more to them in RCA/SE mode than a DAC-19 can produce SQ-wise. Which makes sense considering the extra that goes into more than the balancing of them. What Kingwa stated was that the Ref-5 in SE mode is most similar to the DAC-19.
Apologies.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynobot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It appears you have the DL III how would you compare it to Audiogd Ref1..??

TBH, no comparison!  Even in SE mode Ref1 wins for sure, not to mention balanced mode and ACSS.  And that is why I am out for a DAC.
biggrin.gif
  I used to told DLIII is soft sounding and I could not believe it until I heard Ref-1.  The sound from Ref-1 is much more solid with full body and you can almost feel the "weight of tone".

I have Ref-1 for quite a while and it took a long time for me to appreciate the SQ improvement over my previous DAC.  The soundstage, pinpoint 3D imaging, and bass authority are the major improvement, if the headphone and amp do not cover them up.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 35

Quote:

It appears I spoke incorrectly about the AGD DAC's (Kingwa has corrected me on this). The Ref-1/7/8 are more to them in RCA/SE mode than a DAC-19 can produce SQ-wise. Which makes sense considering the extra that goes into more than the balancing of them. What Kingwa stated was that the Ref-5 in SE mode is most similar to the DAC-19.
Apologies.

Thanks to your correction.  The good thing is that I have not click the "Purchase DAC-19" button.
eek.gif

Just kidding.
biggrin.gif

Has anyone did comparison on Ref-5 and Ref-1/7?  Thanks!

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 35

Quote:
Thanks to your correction.  The good thing is that I have not click the "Purchase DAC-19" button.
eek.gif

Just kidding.
biggrin.gif

Has anyone did comparison on Ref-5 and Ref-1/7?  Thanks!

That is a REALLY good question

Pete???

someone have you compared the Ref5 to the Ref1/7...????

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 35
Check this dukja: casea cepheus mk2 version with rca outputs and spdif cost around $1000-1100. I have heard only Benchmark in this price range and according to me it is pretty nice s..t. Cepheus mk2 is expertly tuned no cold no warm, neutral and real, not only it plays perfectly but also well measure. Problem is, it is unknown product here. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 35
Thanks a lot for the info.  I'll keep an eye on this one.  As you mentioned, it has not had much exposure here.  Hopefully someone knowledgable and brave enough can help us out here.

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 35

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the info.  I'll keep an eye on this one.  As you mentioned, it has not had much exposure here.  Hopefully someone knowledgable and brave enough can help us out here.

I don't know....twin AD1955 = same as Matrix Mini, been there done that.

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #13 of 35
If I had that kind of money to spend I'd buy this. No question.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_uc.php

It pro gear so it might not suit your furniture and you miss out on the DIY street cred of owning a home made looking audiophile product but this easily the best product currently on the market. I imagine you already own music recorded on one. If you own a Mac then Presonus and Apogee and Metric Halo make products in the same class and sometimes less expensive but this is the one to aim for on a PC.

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:
I don't know....twin AD1955 = same as Matrix Mini, been there done that.

I have to smile 
bigsmile_face.gif
I am not surprised, typical example of this comunity. I can only say not everyone can work with complicated AD1955 and casea can. Matrix Mini is one of the many Chinese fallacy or even fake without quality design and components. I guess you have rich experiences so it was probably main reason why you bought it and then you burned.

Sorry for spam.

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
I have to smile 
bigsmile_face.gif
I am not surprised, typical example of this comunity. I can only say not everyone can work with complicated AD1955 and casea can. Matrix Mini is one of the many Chinese fallacy or even fake without quality design and components. I guess you have rich experiences so it was probably main reason why you bought it and then you burned.

Sorry for spam.

Given only the information that it has AD1955's I could only compare it to the MM.  If it has something else in the design that sets it apart do tell....

MM does in fact have pretty good quality of components and workmanship.  I used to own one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back