Looking for ~$150 IEM's. Suggestions?
May 24, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #16 of 47
UE TF10. Amazing IEM's vs things even in the 250 dollar range and lots of customization options (recables and remolds) to make that even more bang for the buck!

The TF10's give you lots of high end and lower end without sound really cheap and artificial. More of what you like, and less of what you don't. It's not "audiophile" or "neutral" but it just sounds good to your ears and thats what matters at the end of the day. And this isn't to say that those triple armatures aren't accurate either, because they sure are!

May 27, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #18 of 47
If you're cheap cost efficient like me, I'd say grab Fischer Audio Eterna.

Panasonic RP-HJE900 is a great choice if DBA-02 balanced armature bass is too weak for you.

If you can find it at the price point, Sennheiser IE7 might be an option too. In EU, it's typically around $180.
Be wary of buying those on Ebay, many fakes.

I can't really recommend Atrios or VSonic GR07 myself, because I've never heard those in person. (My GR07 are getting finally shipped just now.)
However, others say they're pretty darn good. Same about Radius DDMs, but the cheaper one of those is notorious for being lousy build and fit.

--

Quote:
get the re0 for $80 and save yourself some money :D i just love my re0

If he finds DBA-02 bass too weak, then he won't find solace in RE0 at all.

May 27, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #19 of 47
I just started to listen to my GR07 and like them alot. The bass is just about perfect for me and I like warm bassy sound. I don't listen to my music loud though and I have heard the GR07 are not the best at louder volumes. Over all though the GR07 is worth every penny of it's asking price and then some.

May 27, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #20 of 47
I forgot to note that you need some very good isolation. In this case, the Eternas are your best bet, Atrios (probably) a close second.
Preferably with those "custom" silicone tips (ear canal shaped), foamies, Shure "olives" or Sony "hybrids". Gel tips are also nice.

The custom tips are really a good investment, no fuss of foams, no sonic changes at all, excellent fit.
There are a few companies making these - they tend to also be manufacturers of custom mold IEMs.
Just make sure to check the nozzle size.

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #22 of 47
I wish I had encountered this thread sooner, because I honestly would have never imagined DBA-02's as a recommendation, based on the sound you're after. If you already came to admire the Atrio's once, you'd be pleased to find the revised M5 with mg7 drivers is quite fit to compete with any bass-heavy top tier I've owned, and may very well excel each in that regard. I'd say most definitely go with the Atrio M5 (mg7). At their price range, no other in-ear I've encountered can match their incredibly powerful sub-bass impact, without any appreciable midbass bleed. Save the run around. IMO, you're best bet is the latest Atrio M5, and I can almost guarantee that you'll quite literally be blown away by their sound.
basshead.gif

All the best my friend.
smile.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #23 of 47
The Sony EX600, TF10Pro, MTP Gold and GR07 are close to OP requirements and they all sound detailed with deep punchy bass.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #24 of 47
I don't feel like starting a new thread as my request is pretty much the same.

I'm currently using the Hippo VB's but I would like something better, around $150 as well (or 120 euros, I live in Europe). I listen to mostly pop music, some electronic stuff and some Jpop too. I'm looking for IEMs that sound as good as the VB's in the bass department but would like more isolation and better mediums/trebles. (just fyi, I have a Cowon S9)

I've read many reviews and I still don't know what to get. Any advice would be appreciated!
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #25 of 47
I hate to sound redundant, but I really do recommend the Atrio M5, to both you Ghisy, and the OP. It's the best amongst the in-ears I'VE OWNED, within said price range, and is simply unparalleled when it comes to sub-bass. The latest mg7 drivers offer sufficient mids/treble for my ears, and once you've gotten past the fit (which is really the biggest dillema with the Atrio's IMO) and found the right tips, I'm confident you'll come to enjoy them through and through. Nevertheless, there are many multi-threads with plenty of information (check my signature). My advice is to consider whatever suggestions have been offered thus far, and when the time permits, read on, and narrow your findings... 
smile.gif

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #26 of 47
@i2ehan, I went for the RE-ZERO after all. They were cheaper. I just got them, they sound good but they actually lack bass for my tastes. The overall sound is definitely clearer but, even when tweaking my S9 EQ, I still miss the VB's bass.

I saw that the Audio-Technica ATH-CKM99 got pretty good reviews here. Do they have less/more/the same amount of bass than the Hippo VB's?

Now I wonder if I should buy the CKM99, keep the RE-ZERO or go back to my Hippo VB's? Decisions decisions...

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #27 of 47
I think you should try the hje900. I prefer the sound over any of the headphones I have right now and they are officially my point of reference for future cans. There's a pair for sale in the FS forum (IMO they are worth ever penny). If you can afford it I suggest you try it - if not you can always resell it. Just my 2 cents.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:
@i2ehan, I went for the RE-ZERO after all. They were cheaper. I just got them, they sound good but they actually lack bass for my tastes. The overall sound is definitely clearer but, even when tweaking my S9 EQ, I still miss the VB's bass.
I saw that the Audio-Technica ATH-CKM99 got pretty good reviews here. Do they have less/more/the same amount of bass than the Hippo VB's?
Now I wonder if I should buy the CKM99, keep the RE-ZERO or go back to my Hippo VB's? Decisions decisions...

I've yet to hear the RE-ZERO, but if it's VB like bass you're after, I still stand behind the Atrio as my first and foremost recommendation. Within it's respective price range, it's in a league of its own. If it's midbass you're after, the SENN IE7 is as good an option as any IMO. I also found it MUCH more comfortable than the IE8. Else, if it's sub-bass you're after, with no appreciable midrange bleed, the Atrio's reign supreme.

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #29 of 47
I agree with everything i2ehan has said. The Atrio's are so good in each frequency response. The highs are crystal clear without any sibilance or harsh peaks, the mids are very present and very well balanced and really shine.

The bass is just something else. Over the last 4 years, everytime I have tried another IEM, even if the mids and highs are great, I have always returned to my Atrio's. I just can't get the same extraordinary sub-bass and minimal mid-bass on any other IEM! My IEMs are NOT the new ones, which are even better than the old ones!

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #30 of 47
I wish I could have heard the Atrio's in their glory. I owned a pair of M5's but I could not get a good fit no matter what I tried. :frowning2: Sometimes I wonder with these recommendations though. I swear some people recommend their favorites no matter what. "Looking for headphones with a lot of bass." 'I recommend the ER-4P!!" ..no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back