Looking for 120/185$ headphones for games and movies
Jul 20, 2012 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mjonir

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking after headphones that would be good for mostly playing games and watching animation/movies. I've already done a lot of preliminary research but I'm a bit lost in contradictory information.

- Looking for something that would give me good and immersive sound.
- I'm going to be wearing them a lot so I'd prefer if they were comfortable. I'm looking for full-size headphones, preferably circumaural.
- I'd mostly use them at home and/or alone, so noise insulation shouldn't be a problem. I understand it's better to buy open headphones in that regard?
- I have a budget of 100/150€ (120/185$).

I've tried looking at the PDF guide, but the gaming section is only about headsets, which I've been strongly discouraged to buy. I don't have any good shops around so I can't just do and try them. I'll have to choose blind deaf.

What brands/models should I consider?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 7
PC or console?

AKG K242HD, is low price, big soundstage, good punch. and just a good performer.

It greatly benefits from an amp, so on PC it suits the ASUS xonar essence ST/x well, and if you have a decent AV amplifier it does not badly of that either for a start, but it will scale well with a matching dedicated headphone amp

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 7
For gaming, come join us in the following threads

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-14-2012-ultrasone-pro-900-added
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound/525#post_8546181

We don't bite too hard.

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 7
WiR3D:
Both actually, but mainly PC. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it :)

I don't have any amplifier right now. I'm willing to buy one, but the card you are suggesting plus the headphones are around 350€, which is slightly off my budget. I can invest, but I'm not sure I should spend much more on the sound card than on the headphones themselves?

AxelCloris:
I'd really like to, but I'm not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to participate :p

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
WiR3D:

I don't have any amplifier right now. I'm willing to buy one, but the card you are suggesting plus the headphones are around 350€, which is slightly off my budget. I can invest, but I'm not sure I should spend much more on the sound card than on the headphones themselves?

AxelCloris:
I'd really like to, but I'm not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to participate :p

Hey, we're all here to learn/get direction. I've learned a ton from those 2 forums when it comes to gaming. So the offer to join us still stands :D There's a whole lot of info for gaming in those and I'm sure that if the answers aren't there, someone in those topics will know or at least have some info.

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
WiR3D:

Go read in the other threads, it will help you understand.

the price of the headphones should be 250€ when paired with a good amp, and don't underestimate how well they scale with better gear, they are really a steal at the moment. to put in in perspective, when paired with the V-moda VAMP they outperformed my Denon D7000 in all areas except bass quantity. The design of the AKGs is old which is what makes it cheap, and the non-stellar build, but the sound, is anything but. And do some shopping for the ASUS ST, I am quite sure you can get it for 180€, also try Thomann.de for the AKGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back