Looking at multiple amps and dacs, and still quite unsure.
Aug 8, 2018 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Bmxant

Head-Fier
Hey all, I've been considering the following for my TR-X00 Ebony, possibly just an Amp hooked up to my Xonar STX as that would be cheaper and "okay" I believe.

Gustard H10
Asgard 2
Magni 3
NFB-11.28
R2R-11
JDSLabs O2
Aune X7S
Lyr 3

The cheaper the better of course, but even with all of the reviews I've seen and read, it's nothing but mixed reviews. Some even say the Grace m9XX is the best, while other say it's not.

Thoughts? The Xonar STX is really crippling the potential of these headphones and I'd like to change that.

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 14
The Ifi Audio Micro iDSD Black Label looks really good too, and I love the switches, but unfortunately it's a bit out of my price range.

Tube amps are apparently good too, but I've read that you should only have one as a secondary amp as they are quite different.

Still can't make up my mind here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 12, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 14
What do you mean when you say the Xonar is crippling you Ebonys?

What are you looking more of or trying to reduce/remove in the sound?

Aug 12, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 14
The output impedance is too high on the Xonar (10 ohm), it's a muddy flat mess without crazy EQ and 7.1 Virtual. Even with those enhancements, something is "off".

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 14
Just your STX should be sufficient. I believe it was designed to drive even very high impedance headphones. If it doesn't give you enough volume, get a Magni 3. Most DACs measure worse than the STX, but the differences are so small I bet no one would be able to tell the difference between DACs over $50. In terms of contribution, think that headphones are 93% of the sound, the amp is 6%, and the DAC is 1% when going from adequate to excellent equipment.

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 14
The output impedance is too high on the Xonar (10 ohm), it's a muddy flat mess without crazy EQ and 7.1 Virtual. Even with those enhancements, something is "off".

If the output impedance of his headphones is at least 40 Ohms they should be good.

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 14
My X00's are 25 ohm's. With Hi-Fi mode on they sound like they were made by Fisher Price :p

Aug 12, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 14
Yeah, I know, that's not hard to find these days though as most are fairly low, I'm just not sure which amp to go for.

Aug 12, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 14
Isn’t a Micro iDSD Black Label the same price as a Lyr 3?

Personally, I’d also take a look at the Element from JDS Labs (B-stock?).

Aug 12, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #11 of 14
Isn’t a Micro iDSD Black Label the same price as a Lyr 3?

Personally, I’d also take a look at the Element from JDS Labs (B-stock?).

Yeah, I believe it's right around the price of the Lyr 3. It's something that would have to wait a long long time at the current moment.

I've heard such mixed things on the Element amp, but people seem to love it as well.....thanks for the recommendation.

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #12 of 14
I dont own the TRX00, so cant say for that specific headphone. I do own the Nighthawk which uses similar driver technology, and a similar impedence and both my amps drove it well. I have the Burson Soloist SL and the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid (CTH). I prefer the sound of the CTH by a pinch, and at $249 falls into the budget you are looking around. The only caveat with the CTH is no gain switch and so it can get loud early with the night hawk, but I have not experienced any channel imbalance issues at the volumes I listen at.

Aug 12, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #14 of 14
I dont own the TRX00, so cant say for that specific headphone. I do own the Nighthawk which uses similar driver technology, and a similar impedence and both my amps drove it well. I have the Burson Soloist SL and the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid (CTH). I prefer the sound of the CTH by a pinch, and at $249 falls into the budget you are looking around. The only caveat with the CTH is no gain switch and so it can get loud early with the night hawk, but I have not experienced any channel imbalance issues at the volumes I listen at.

Thanks for the suggestion, it seems people really love the CTH with the X00's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back