Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
May 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #1,742 of 2,910
Quote:
Really, dsperber, give it a rest, you have made your point repeatedly throughout this thread.  It's getting pretty old and tired at this point.

You could make similar comments for others, who continue to bring up the same points.

When someone posts a comment or question, is an answer expected???  Or should there just be a back-reference to the multiple answers to the same questions which have appeared over the years elsewhere in the thread?

May 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #1,743 of 2,910
Really?? You have already made your statement several times to the people involved in the recent comments.  Feel free to regurgitate the same info for the new guys who are too lazy to read the thread
cool.gif

May 11, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #1,744 of 2,910
Has anyone used the Realiser with the Grado GS-1000? It seems to me that some of the deficiencies of these phones such as its uneven frequency response might be easily corrected by the Realiser. On the other hand, its strengths including dynamic range, staging and presence might be an asset to simulating a speaker system.  

May 12, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #1,745 of 2,910
I wanted to buy the Grado GS - 1000i until I found out it was like 1300 euros. So unfortunately I wont be able to tell you :frowning2:

I just got my Yamaha Receiver today RX-A810 and wow what a machine, Great sound from the headphones out too and it got silent cinema mode to create 3d sound over headphones, wasnt sounding bad but I want to hear the realiser. Unfortunately I cant get any audio on my tv or Realiser .. Ps3 / Set top box plugged into the receiver HDMI inputs (also connected optical out of the set top box to optcial av1 in of the receiver). Receiver has 2 HDMI Outputs. on 1 I put the TV and im getting image but no sound. On 2 I put the Realiser, and im not getting any sound there either. Both Hdmi outputs are set as active (1+2) . What am I doing wrong here? Im starting to get afraid the HDMI outputs only ouput video and i have to connect speakers for tv on other outputs and also use other outputs on the receiver to connect to the realiser?

Please help! :)

Thanks in advance

EDIT -

Finally got everything working

May 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #1,746 of 2,910
Hmm it seems that for some reason only the front left and right and center are working .. tried blu ray sources and tv
confused.gif

I setup 5.1 speaker setup and also selected to decode using dolby pro logic and i tried neo 6 DTS. And when I solo the side/behind speakers on the remote of the realiser im not hearing anything :frowning2:

Is it possible this yamaha receiver cant output 5.1/7.1 over hdmi and that I need to use the individual speaker connections?

EDIT -

Well i tried everything and it doesnt seem to work over HDMI :frowning2:

So im looking for speaker cables now, can anyone confirm I can just use the pre outs (meant for amped speakers) on my receiver into the realiser since the realiser is kind of an amped speaker system?

May 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #1,747 of 2,910
I have a room correction speaker system which can apply  room correction to 2 channel analog  input or  multichannel LPCM over HDMI. Although the system has multichannel analog input, no correction can be applied that way. Since the A8 model apparently can only perform measurements generated by its multichannel analog out, it seems like it can only be used for stereo measurements. Switching speaker outputs and trying to trick the room correction system to think that surround channels are R/L is not possible because of the way the room correction (Trinnov) works.

I can make multichannel measurements without room correction, and they can be used with the room correction in the loop via the multichannel analog input to the Realiser. However, I then have both the room correction  and Realiser processing in the chain, lose portability, etc..

It seems like I need an AVR or prepro which can do room correction on multichannel analog input to use the Realiser as a standalone processor ( Blu-Ray > Realiser). For those who have done their own multichannel measurements and are using this type of configuration, how do you do it? Is there some workaround or am I just missing something?

May 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,748 of 2,910
Quote:
Hmm it seems that for some reason only the front left and right and center are working .. tried blu ray sources and tv
confused.gif

I setup 5.1 speaker setup and also selected to decode using dolby pro logic and i tried neo 6 DTS. And when I solo the side/behind speakers on the remote of the realiser im not hearing anything :frowning2:

Is it possible this yamaha receiver cant output 5.1/7.1 over hdmi and that I need to use the individual speaker connections?

EDIT -

Well i tried everything and it doesnt seem to work over HDMI :frowning2:

So im looking for speaker cables now, can anyone confirm I can just use the pre outs (meant for amped speakers) on my receiver into the realiser since the realiser is kind of an amped speaker system?

HDMI from Pre-pro and A/V recievers do not output multi channel PCM. You will have to use the Analogue connections.

May 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #1,749 of 2,910
Quote:

HDMI from Pre-pro and A/V recievers do not output multi channel PCM. You will have to use the Analogue connections.

Im not sure what you meant with that :)

The the pre outs on the receiver are analog (rca) will those work?

Anyways, this kinda sucks.. How come the PS3 can do it but a dedicated A/V Receiver cant? :frowning2:

May 12, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #1,750 of 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Unfortunately I cant get any audio on my tv or Realiser .. Ps3 / Set top box plugged into the receiver HDMI inputs (also connected optical out of the set top box to optcial av1 in of the receiver). Receiver has 2 HDMI Outputs. on 1 I put the TV and im getting image but no sound. On 2 I put the Realiser, and im not getting any sound there either. Both Hdmi outputs are set as active (1+2) . What am I doing wrong here?

EDIT -

Finally got everything working

As has been discussed here before, AVR's themselves don't seem to be able to decode multi-channel input and put out LPCM output over HDMI.  Only source devices such as Oppo (and other) BluRay players appear to do that if you choose that option in their setup configuration.

So if you feed that BluRay player LPCM/HDMI output to the HDMI input of your AVR, you will get LPCM pass-through to the HDMI output from your AVR and then on to the HDMI input the Realiser.  So using your BluRay player as your source device you will get proper multi-channel performance via HDMI input from the Realiser, as it will be being fed with proper multi-channel LPCM input via HDMI (coming from the BluRay player through the AVR and onto the Realiser, all via HDMI).

However a TV cable system STB does NOT deliver decoded discrete-channel LPCM out over its HDMI or optical digital audio outputs.  It only delivers the still-encoded multi-channel DD2.0/DD5.1 digital audio to the AVR along with digital video on its HDMI output.  So the job of audio decoding (for discrete channel delivery to actual amp/speakers, or to the discrete multi-channel analog preamp outputs, or to the Realiser) is in the AVR, although the digital video arriving from STB via HDMI is passed on through via AVR's HDMI output to your HDTV for display.  But no AVR known will deliver that self-decoded discrete multi-channel output as LPCM over its own HDMI output.  It is only delivered to its discrete multi-channel analog preamp outputs... so that's how you'll have to connect your AVR to the Realiser for listening to your STB, via the Realiser's discrete multi-channel RCA analog inputs.

I don't know if a PS3 can deliver discrete multi-channel LPCM audio out over its HDMI, but if it can then you can use it as a source device whose LPCM audio can be passed through the AVR and on to the HDMI inputs of the Realiser.  Otherwise, not.  You'll have to deliver still-encoded multi-channel audio to the AVR, where decoding will occur but again only for delivery as discrete multi-channel analog preamp, again using the Realiser's discrete multi-channel RCA analog inputs.

Only if you have a source device like a true BluRay player that itself for sure can decode to LPCM and deliver that over its own HDMI output will you ever get discrete multi-channel LPCM delivered through the AVR's HDMI input and passed on through to its HDMI output, and then on to the Realiser's HDMI input.  So when listening to a BluRay player as source through your AVR, you now WILL be able to choose the Realiser's HDMI input path.

May 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #1,751 of 2,910
Quote:
I have a room correction speaker system which can apply  room correction to 2 channel analog  input or  multichannel LPCM over HDMI. Although the system has multichannel analog input, no correction can be applied that way. Since the A8 model apparently can only perform measurements generated by its multichannel analog out, it seems like it can only be used for stereo measurements.

This would seem to be true.  The Realiser does not put out its measurement sweep signals as discrete multi-channel LPCM on its HDMI output, but rather only on its discrete multi-channel main analog outputs.  That's a fact.  Actually, according to Lorr this is not even planned for future implementation at this time.  The limitations of analog-only outputs for use during PRIR measurements is of no concern to "professional" end-users (and probably most "home" end-users as well), although it does seem to be a consideration for your particular system's characteristics and your own desired objective.

But for normal use the Realiser can of course accept either (a) discrete multi-channel LPCM on its HDMI input, or (b) discrete multi-channel analog on its 8-channel RCA inputs.

Very similarly, your room correction system apparently has its own similar limitations and requirements on input, namely either (a) discrete multi-channel LPCM on its HDMI input, or (b) 2-channel analog (but not multi-channel analog) its 2-channel RCA inputs.  Your room correction unit unfortunately only has 2-channel RCA analog inputs, not 8-channel RCA analog inputs as the Realiser does for normal use.  It would seem they designed it intended for use with a BluRay player as digital multi-channel audio source, or alternatively a conventional CD player or other simple analog 2-channel stereo player as an analog audio source. You wouldn't even be able to use your room correction system with a cable company STB/DVR as a multi-channel DD5.1 source device for HDTV.

It would appear then that, just like with the Realiser, in the real world only a source device like a BluRay player with its seemingly more and more unique capability of delivering decoded multi-channel LPCM through its HDMI outputs can be used as an appropriate mulit-channel LPCM/HDMI input source device to your room correction system.  Not even AVR's can decode arbitrary encoded multi-channel digital audio input (via HDMI or optical) and deliver discrete multi-channel LPCM/HDMI output, although they can deliver decoded discrete multi-channel analog through their preamp outputs as well as being able to pass-through LPCM/HDMI input to its HDMI output (for delivery to the Realiser, or even to your room correction system).

May 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,752 of 2,910
Quote:

This would seem to be true.  The Realiser does not put out its measurement sweep signals as discrete multi-channel LPCM on its HDMI output, but rather only on its discrete multi-channel main analog outputs.  That's a fact.  Actually, according to Lorr this is not even planned for future implementation at this time.  The limitations of analog-only outputs for use during PRIR measurements is of no concern to "professional" end-users (and probably most "home" end-users as well), although it does seem to be a consideration for your particular system's characteristics and your own desired objective.

If room correction is desired and there is no way of taking multichannel measurements with it in the loop, then that is a problem for the "home" end-user who would like to use the AVR or prepro with its room correction for measurements, and  subsequently remove the AVR or prepro for listening. Since people here have advocated using Blu-Ray > Realiser via HDMI, I would like to know how they are doing it, i.e., are they using measurements with room correction on multiple analog input channels (what rig?), or are they using measurements without room correction? My guess is the latter, which is perfectly fine for rooms  which are set up to ITU standards and don't require room correction, or for unusual rooms (like theaters) where they actually want to listen to the room because of its unique characteristics (like reverb). However, I would like to use the Realiser to listen to my own or other's corrected room on headphones without the prepro in the loop. There is the issue of optimising the processing chain, along with the fact that I don't want to tote my prepro around my house, let alone borrow my friends.  I do agree this is not everyone's goal, but I don't think it is such a small niche either. I have sent an email to Smyth to inquire about this, but it seems clear the capability does not exist (yet)

May 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #1,753 of 2,910
Quote:

But no AVR known will deliver that self-decoded discrete multi-channel output as LPCM over its own HDMI output.  It is only delivered to its discrete multi-channel analog preamp outputs... so that's how you'll have to connect your AVR to the Realiser for listening to your STB, via the Realiser's discrete multi-channel RCA analog inputs.

Ok thanks alot for your help :)

May 14, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #1,754 of 2,910
Greetings all réaliser fans!

I have a problem.  I should know how to do this but when I attempt to follow the manual it doesn't work.  I am trying to take a new PRIR off an SD card and put it in a new slot without screwing up my existing presets.  So I press menu and file, and then sd --- internal, to get the file from the card into the memory.  One of my presets appears on the screen.  So then I start using the up and down carrots to try to find an empty slot.  All I get is a toggle back and forth from 1 to 2 and back.  I am not able to move to any other of the 64 slots.  Which brings up another issue.  How can I just go to a specific one of the 64 slots from scratch to see what is there.  I am very simple minded and need exact, step by step instructions to do any of this.  Your help would be most appreciated!

Stewart

May 14, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #1,755 of 2,910
OK, figured it out with Lorr's help.

The problem seems to be that I am wanting to try out some PRIRs sent to me by email.  I copied them to my SD card, which already has two PRIRs on it.  When I try to transfer the new PRIRs from the SD card to the Realiser, the Realiser doesn't see the new ones, only the existing ones.  I can put the SD card back in my computer and see that the files are there, but they just are not seen by the Realiser.  Anyone had this problem or have thoughts about what I am doing wrong?

Stewart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back