Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Apr 20, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #571 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by frenshprince /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, I heard that a new version of the Smyth Realiser, for professional, is going to be released soon.
It's supposed to have analog balanced input and output, and digital input.

I don't know anything about price or the release date.

Digital input as in HDMI? That would be nice. I plan on rearranging my hardware and getting a decent HDMI receiver soon so I can easily use the Realiser with my WDTV and my cable box. Right now it's just on the blu-ray.

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #572 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsperber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if the digital input would be for bitstreamed pre-decoded PCM version of the multi-channel source (i.e. still decoded by an earlier processor/receiver, but in digital multi-channel PCM form via HDMI delivery), or is it "standard HDMI" to accept the still-encoded original source signal (which would obviously require appropriate codecs in the Realiser, something they've totally avoided in order to concentrate on SVS processing rather than "the latest and greatest lossy/lossless codec")?

My guess is that the digital input will not be HDMI, but rather AES/EBU, which is what pros typically use.
Quote:

Personally, on the consumer side I still think a "2-party Realiser, with separate PRIR/HPEQ handling" is something that would be very much appreciated.

I agree.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #573 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramsy501 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

Where can I purchase one of these. I live in the UK.

Is there any support outside the US?

If this is so revolutonary, why has it not crossed the border?

I live in the Republic of Ireland and I purchased from the US. It came with an Irish/UK plug and voltage. Be aware that you will be liable for VAT and Customs duties, for Ireland this adds nearly 30%. I had a problem with mine and it was fixed from their Belfast office but they do not supply from there, or didn't when I ordered. I got mine without the Stax as I already had a Stax 3030 system.

I'm not sure why they haven't got a UK distributor yet, especially as the Smyth brothers are from Northern Ireland and they have an office there.

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #574 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess is that the digital input will not be HDMI, but rather AES/EBU, which is what pros typically use.

I hope there's an HDMI version of the Realiser in the future.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #575 of 2,910
Quote:

Having balanced input/output definitely excludes most consumer-grade electronics, e.g Stax amps on the output side. I wonder what they anticipate the headphone/amp to be which would accept this?

This pic from CanJam 2008 shows TRS-to-2RCA adapters being used to convert the balanced outputs to unbalanced.

head-fi-headphone-canjam-2008-021.jpg

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #576 of 2,910
Are most of you guys using a DVD/SACD combo player with multichannel analog outputs as source? Doesn't that limit your sound quality unless you are using a high end player, or a modified/upgraded standard player?

I have a Samsung DVD/SACD that needs $600-800 in mods to be considered a "good" source, and it just seems to me that the SVS Realiser should have a digital input with DAC to eliminate that issue. If I could ever save up the cash for one of these, I was thinking I'd have to get that Emotiva box that converts digital to multichannel analog output (it hadn't been released last I checked in Nov 09).

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #577 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are most of you guys using a DVD/SACD combo player with multichannel analog outputs as source?

Not me.

I went for a Yamaha RX-V863 receiver, to serve as my "control center" source for discrete analog channels for the Realiser. Everything I own (including my Oppo BDP-83 universal player, connected to the Yamaha via HDMI rather than its own discrete channel outputs, thus utilizing the Yamaha for decoding everything rather than the Oppo) is plugged into the Yamaha, which then feeds the Realiser.

Before the Realiser I had a Zektor HDS4 4-in-1-out component video switch (which also handled analog/digital audio switching). But this was inadequate for my growing needs, did not support HDMI, and had nothing to do with discrete analog audio channels.

So I took the Realiser situation as an opportunity to upgrade my "multi-source switcher". The RX-V863 was priced right and gave me everything I wanted... considering my "loudspeaker system" is a spare Altec-Lansing 621 2.1 computer speaker system (which actually sounds MUCH much better than the built-in speakers in my Sony 34XBR960).

I really only listen primarily through the Realiser, so I only wanted (a) a discrete decoded analog channel feeder device box through which all encoded multi-channel source devices could connect, (b) a decoder for all modern lossy and lossless codecs, and (c) a component video / HDMI / analog and digital audio switcher.

For me there's only one answer: AVR.

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #578 of 2,910
I wasn't aware that there were AV receivers had multichannel outputs and not just multichannel inputs. Shows how long I've been out of the market. Are there older AVR out there that have only optical and coax input, but still have multichannel analog outputs?

My last AVR purchase was in late 2004 with Denon AVR-1804 (family room) and Yamaha HTR-5630 (bedroom). I'll have to check out what's on the back of these receivers, but I do know they only have optical and coax inputs and NO HDMI at all, since HDMI gear wasn't shipping till 2005. With everything hooked up to them in the cabinet they are almost impossible to pull out to check.

I'd like to consider the SVS as my next acquisition in the future, but I'd have to have the right sources/AVR combo, which means even more money. Paying off my credit cards is a better idea now that I think about it.

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #579 of 2,910
Quote:

By the way, I heard that a new version of the Smyth Realiser, for professional, is going to be released soon.
It's supposed to have analog balanced input and output, and digital input.

I don't know anything about price or the release date.

Good to hear that they're finally adding digital input!

Now if they would take out the stock Stax system and lower the price accordingly.

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #580 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to consider the SVS as my next acquisition in the future, but I'd have to have the right sources/AVR combo, which means even more money. Paying off my credit cards is a better idea now that I think about it.

Paying off credit cards is always a better idea.

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #581 of 2,910
Yeah, I already had a "good" AVR with decent preouts along with a seperate power amp so the Realiser fit right in to my system. It's great having the ability to split the system so that with a push of a button a I can use speaker system or my Realiser. I cannot wait for the end of today. Avatar blu ray should be breathtaking with the Realiser.

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #582 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I already had a "good" AVR with decent preouts along with a seperate power amp so the Realiser fit right in to my system. It's great having the ability to split the system so that with a push of a button a I can use speaker system or my Realiser. I cannot wait for the end of today. Avatar blu ray should be breathtaking with the Realiser.

It absolutely is
o2smile.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #583 of 2,910
Quote:

It absolutely is
o2smile.gif

You already saw it? I am so jealous. I avoided it in the theaters because I can't see 3D. Frankly, I would rather see it at home anyway!

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #584 of 2,910
I did Yesterday.
And it was unbeliveable
tongue_smile.gif

Beside the sound, the picture is without any doubt, the best seen on Blu-ray.
And I'm sure you'll enjoy it cause we have the same JVC projector
biggrin.gif

My only regret is I didnt have an O2 with the Realiser
o2smile.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #585 of 2,910
Awesome! I can't wait. Yeah, I've been back and forth about getting O2's or the JH16's but I am not sure there will be that big of a difference with the Realiser. What headphones are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back