Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Apr 23, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #602 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Localization wasn't the issue with the Denons.

If I'm understanding correctly, it sounded like an actual speaker in terms of the location/placement, but not in terms of clarity and evenness. Maybe the Realiser's manual EQ would have helped, or maybe not enough.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #603 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any particular reason you chose that AVR? I need an AVR for the same reasons.

Looks from your later post that you went for the 1065. That model costs about $400 more than my 863, and since I'm essentially "speakerless" I really didn't have any need for whatever else was present on the higher-end model to justify paying more money than I did.

Yes, there are 4 HDMI inputs on the 1065 instead of only 3 on the 863, but I actually don't need 4... so I don't miss it.

Anyway the 863 was priced right, supported all the latest lossless codecs (which is what I really cared about), had all of the digital and analog inputs I wanted, and did not run "hot" which was the main reason I backed out of buying a similar Onkyo AVR.

As I recall, the next lower model in the line did not have the preamp-outputs I required for the Realiser, which was the deal-breaker.

So mostly, I was looking for an "inexpensive" outboard decoder for the Realiser, that would also serve as an HDMI-capable replacement analog/digital switcher for my Zektor HDS4 component video switch. And the 863 hit the mark on all accounts.

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #604 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I'm understanding correctly, it sounded like an actual speaker in terms of the location/placement, but not in terms of clarity and evenness. Maybe the Realiser's manual EQ would have helped, or maybe not enough.

The Stax have a much more open sound. When you listen to the Stax you can hear the room ambience in the physical room you are in. They are very transparent and you forget they are on your head. This is what I mean by speaker like. The Denon's are completely closed off and clamp a good bit tighter then the Stax. For this reason you don't get lost in the material and are always reminded that you are listening to headphones. I also prefer the end result of the Stax after running the EQ on both headphones. One last thing, with the Denon's the "speakers" sound a good deal closer (in distance) then the Stax.

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #605 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by frenshprince /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One cheap option instead of an AVR, if you have multiple optical or coaxial sources is the Mocha JY-M2.

Another small, cheap decoder is the CV-505, if you want HDMI inputs.

HDMI Audio Extractor

CV-505_front.jpg

CV-505_back.jpg

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #606 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsperber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks from your later post that you went for the 1065. That model costs about $400 more than my 863, and since I'm essentially "speakerless" I really didn't have any need for whatever else was present on the higher-end model to justify paying more money than I did.

Yes, there are 4 HDMI inputs on the 1065 instead of only 3 on the 863, but I actually don't need 4... so I don't miss it.

Anyway the 863 was priced right, supported all the latest lossless codecs (which is what I really cared about), had all of the digital and analog inputs I wanted, and did not run "hot" which was the main reason I backed out of buying a similar Onkyo AVR.

As I recall, the next lower model in the line did not have the preamp-outputs I required for the Realiser, which was the deal-breaker.

So mostly, I was looking for an "inexpensive" outboard decoder for the Realiser, that would also serve as an HDMI-capable replacement analog/digital switcher for my Zektor HDS4 component video switch. And the 863 hit the mark on all accounts.

I only paid a little more than one-half of retail for the V1065. I need 3 HDMI ports and there may be need for a fourth soon so I figured it was worth it. The only part of the system I have that does not use an HDMI port is the Realiser.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #607 of 2,910
Quote:

The Stax have a much more open sound. When you listen to the Stax you can hear the room ambience in the physical room you are in. They are very transparent and you forget they are on your head. This is what I mean by speaker like. The Denon's are completely closed off and clamp a good bit tighter then the Stax. For this reason you don't get lost in the material and are always reminded that you are listening to headphones.

I think I understand now. So even during silent passages, the Stax allows you to forget that you are wearing headphones.

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #608 of 2,910
Exactly.
Because, every room has his own silent sound.
So it's more realistic to keep this silent sound mixed with the sound of the heapdphones.

But sometimes, it's good as well to be totally disconnected of the environment.
Especially for Videogames.

When I play VG, I like to be in another world, without any realistic or usuals sound around me.
It's more immersive, and totally in accord with my idea of Video Games, Viz "a new universe"
regular_smile .gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #609 of 2,910
Quote:

Another small, cheap decoder is the CV-505, if you want HDMI inputs.

HDMI Audio Extractor

CV-505_front.jpg

CV-505_back.jpg

Nice one !
wink_face.gif

better than the Mocha.

Even if I'm still thinking that the Realiser deserves a better source.
Like Emotiva Umc-1 or maybe the futur XMC-1.

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #610 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by frenshprince /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly.
Because, every room has his own silent sound.
So it's more realistic to keep this silent sound mixed with the sound of the heapdphones.

But sometimes, it's good as well to be totally disconnected of the environment.
Especially for Videogames.

When I play VG, I like to be in another world, without any realistic or usuals sound around me.
It's more immersive, and totally in accord with my idea of Video Games, Viz "a new universe"
regular_smile .gif

The Realiser does sound amazing with video games but I prefer to have a headset on so I just use my speakers for that.

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #611 of 2,910
Quote:

I think I understand now. So even during silent passages, the Stax allows you to forget that you are wearing headphones.

Exactly right. Being able to talk to a partner during a more quiet passage or hearing the A/C kick on further expands on the idea that you are listening to speakers and not headphones. I just wish that more people got to hear the SVS in action. It's still mindblowing 3 months after my purchase and that's unheard of in my world. It's completely changed my movie watching world and makes me a bit sad that I "wasted" $7K on speakers.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #612 of 2,910
Quote:

Exactly right. Being able to talk to a partner during a more quiet passage or hearing the A/C kick on further expands on the idea that you are listening to speakers and not headphones. I just wish that more people got to hear the SVS in action. It's still mindblowing 3 months after my purchase and that's unheard of in my world. It's completely changed my movie watching world and makes me a bit sad that I "wasted" $7K on speakers.

Getting to hear the Realiser in action was certainly the highlight at the CanJam Show at L.A. International Airport last year.

Maybe more folks will attend the show - and swing by the AIX and Smyth booths - for a listen next time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #613 of 2,910
Quote:

At least you can calibrate from those speakers. Granted it's a lot more expensive than a flight to Burbank, CA.

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #614 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least you can calibrate from those speakers. Granted it's a lot more expensive than a flight to Burbank, CA.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to though because my room isn't set up professionally for audio. It's funny, I just got in an argument on another site with people saying that I was basically insane and that I was just justifying "my expensive purchase". It's really sad that this product isn't being reviewed more often or implimented consumer products because it would really blow peoples minds. Also, I got really lucky being only an hour drive to Burbank. I guess it was just in the cards :)

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #615 of 2,910
Quote:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to though because my room isn't set up professionally for audio. It's funny, I just got in an argument on another site with people saying that I was basically insane and that I was just justifying "my expensive purchase". It's really sad that this product isn't being reviewed more often or implimented consumer products because it would really blow peoples minds. Also, I got really lucky being only an hour drive to Burbank. I guess it was just in the cards :)

I'd agree. Until you actually hear the Realiser, it's hard to believe it works as well as it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back