Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Apr 22, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #586 of 2,910
I had a lot (JVC Dx1000, denon D7000, Sen HD650, AT-A900) and so far the best results I got (for movies) is with the Beyer DT770.
Huge bass and warm sound.
The D7000 was good as well. But too expensive for the difference with the Beyer.

I'm planning to buy a Stax Systen soon, but I still don't know wich one I should get...

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #587 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't aware that there were AV receivers had multichannel outputs and not just multichannel inputs. Shows how long I've been out of the market. Are there older AVR out there that have only optical and coax input, but still have multichannel analog outputs?

I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 that I purchased in 2004 that has multichannel pre-outs. The downside of going with an older AVR is that it won't be able to handle the lossless codecs like Dolby TrueHD.

I've been eyeing that Emotiva preamp/processor too if I ever get the Realiser, but it still seems like there should be something a little less overkill available to act as a multichannel decoder/DAC for the Realiser.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #588 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsperber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not me.

I went for a Yamaha RX-V863 receiver, to serve as my "control center" source for discrete analog channels for the Realiser. Everything I own (including my Oppo BDP-83 universal player, connected to the Yamaha via HDMI rather than its own discrete channel outputs, thus utilizing the Yamaha for decoding everything rather than the Oppo) is plugged into the Yamaha, which then feeds the Realiser.

Any particular reason you chose that AVR? I need an AVR for the same reasons.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #589 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there older AVR out there that have only optical and coax input, but still have multichannel analog outputs?

Higher-end AVRs (including older pre-HDMI ones) usually have multichannel pre-outs.

If you plan to use the AVR for speakers, not just for the Realiser, then you should also consider these three options:

1. Use separate power amps instead of the AVR's internal amps.

or

2. Use an AVR that has multichannel main-ins (not to be confused with regular multichannel analog inputs). This rare feature exists on some older models such as the NAD T773 and Marantz SR9600. The main-ins can feed the AVR's internal amps directly (similar to using separate power amps).

or

3. Use the AVR's internal amps and add speaker switches to enable/disable your speakers (which is easier than connecting/disconnecting each wire by hand).

In option #1 or #2, the Realiser can mute the speakers for you. Otherwise, the Realiser cannot mute them, so you must mute them some other way (without muting the pre-outs), as in option #3.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #590 of 2,910
Whatever AVR you choose make sure it has good A/D converters. If you don't have speakers then you obviously don't need to worry about how many WPC it is. Unfortunately, the A/D converters usually scale up with the more powerful AVR's. I already had my Denon 3808Ci before I purchased the Realiser. Just look for an AVR that has Dolby Tru and DTS Ma decoding along with good quality DAC's and you'll be golden.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #591 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by frenshprince /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a lot (JVC Dx1000, denon D7000, Sen HD650, AT-A900) and so far the best results I got (for movies) is with the Beyer DT770.
Huge bass and warm sound.
The D7000 was good as well. But too expensive for the difference with the Beyer.

I'm planning to buy a Stax Systen soon, but I still don't know wich one I should get...

I had the Beyer 880's (250 ohm) and I really loved them paired with my Dolby Headphone setup. When you go Stax the amp is more important then the headphones in my opinion. You'll be happy with the 304's, 404's or even the O2's as long as the amp is good. I really think the 404LE's are the sweet spot for the Stax when used with the Realiser for movies. They are not as neutral but have a very good bass response and slightly more exciting sound then the rest of the line. I've always wanted to try the O2's but couldn't justify the purchase unless there was a return policy.

The best thing about the Stax are the comfort and the openess of the sound. When emulating speakers, I like to have some room ambience to further the illusion. The fact that you can hear the room you are in while you are listening to the Realiser really clinches it for me. This is one of them main reasons I ditched the D7000's. The Stax sound much more speaker like and the Denons sounded much more like headphones.

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #592 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Stax sound much more speaker like and the Denons sounded much more like headphones.

Did you try using the head tracker with the Denon to improve localization? (even though you don't use it with the Stax)

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #593 of 2,910
Quote:

Avatar blu ray should be breathtaking with the Realiser.

That gives me an idea for my avatar.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #594 of 2,910
Quote:

Just look for an AVR that has Dolby Tru and DTS Ma decoding along with good quality DAC's and you'll be golden.

Thank you for the help
smile_phones.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #595 of 2,910
One cheap option instead of an AVR, if you have multiple optical or coaxial sources is the Mocha JY-M2.
It's a small DTS/AC3 decoder with multichannel analog output

roger_pan_96-img600x304-1226006079509777___005_01-3.jpg

Of course, the DAC are not spectacular, but as good as a lot or AVR under 1000$.
And good enough to wait patiently until an opportunity for a better processor.

I bought one in waiting the Emotiva UMC-1, and I've been totally satisfied with it.

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #596 of 2,910
Question for you guys who own the Realiser:

How does the stock dummy head profile compare to your own personalized calibration?

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #598 of 2,910
I'm still trying to find some time to go to CA to get calibrated. Every time it looks golden something turns up and I can't go. Sigh.

Anyway, I ordered a Yamaha RX-V1065 AVR. That should do the trick.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #599 of 2,910
Localization wasn't the issue with the Denons. The localization sounded fine, if not a big more immediate but the headphone sound was always there and I couldn't get lost in the material because of it. The comfort was nearly as good as the Stax either.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #600 of 2,910
By the way, Avatar was simply stunning. The PQ was the best I've seen and was literally jaw dropping. The CGI was scary good. The AQ was the most immersive experience I've had with the Realiser. The rear speakers were almost always active and it was if I was surrounded with the ambience of the new planet. Seriously, Smyth should use this disc as the showcase to what their system can do. It was the best movie watching experience I've had and that includes when I used my speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back