Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Jun 4, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #632 of 2,910
does anyone know the bit depth and sample rate of the optical out?  Is it user selectable?  I assume the ADC converts the incoming analog to 24/192 or above, but was curious as to what comes out.  Has anyone felt the need to add a separate DAC?  Thanks.

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #634 of 2,910
Thanks.  Then for hi-res sources like SACD, DVD-Audio, etc., it sounds like using a separate DAC would be worse than the analog outs on the unit even if the separate DAC was better than the DAC in the unit because you can only feed it 48kHz.. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #637 of 2,910
New firmware was released a few hours ago.  Here is a list of changes from the new manual.

Quote:
  [size=x-small]New features and changes in firmware of 7 June 2010[/size]

[size=x-small]The following are the most significant changes. Not all refinements are listed.[/size]

[size=x-small]1. The [/size][size=x-small]ALL [/size][size=x-small]speaker measurement procedure now allows measurements of a speaker or speakers to be[/size]
[size=x-small]made separately in stages. This provides a completely flexible way to create multiple speakers in[/size]
[size=x-small]different locations and with different channel assignments from lesser numbers of real speakers. As a[/size]
[size=x-small]result, a channel on/off screen appears at the end of every measurement sequence to specify which[/size]
[size=x-small]channels are to be saved. For the typical [/size][size=x-small]ALL [/size][size=x-small]procedure, the channels will be set the same as when the[/size]
[size=x-small]measurement sequence began, in which case one additional [/size][size=x-small]OK [/size][size=x-small]keystroke is required.[/size]

[size=x-small]2. Direct mixing of bass (LFE and/or redirected bass) into the headphones is now possible. This is for[/size]
[size=x-small]situations where there is no real subwoofer to be measured, or when there is only an inferior[/size]
[size=x-small]subwoofer, or when the room has modes make low frequency performance problematic.[/size]

[size=x-small]3. The [/size][size=x-small]ONE[/size][size=x-small], [/size][size=x-small]LsRs [/size][size=x-small]and [/size][size=x-small]LbRb [/size][size=x-small]speaker measurement procedures now allow subwoofer (or other)[/size]
[size=x-small]measurements to be added, so 5.1 and 7.1 are now possible in addition to 5.0 and 7.0, etc.[/size]

[size=x-small]4. The [/size][size=x-small]ONE[/size][size=x-small], [/size][size=x-small]LsRs [/size][size=x-small]and [/size][size=x-small]LbRb [/size][size=x-small]speaker measurement procedures now use the default channel[/size]
[size=x-small]assignments.[/size]

[size=x-small]5. Loudspeaker arrays assigned to the same channel can now be created using a single speaker by[/size]
[size=x-small]using an option in the [/size][size=x-small]AVG LOOK C [/size][size=x-small]menu which allows multiple sweeps to run with pauses before[/size]
[size=x-small]each sweep. During the pause, a speaker can be moved to different locations. The typical application[/size]
[size=x-small]is to generate multiple virtual subwoofers from a single real subwoofer.[/size]

[size=x-small]6. Measurement processing has been refined to improve the capture of multiple speaker arrays.[/size]

[size=x-small]7. The [/size][size=x-small]TE [/size][size=x-small]screen is no longer momentary; it remains until [/size][size=x-small]CANCEL [/size][size=x-small]is pressed.[/size]

[size=x-small]8. Manual EQ now uses thirty-one uniform 500 Hz filter bands (except for the last band).[/size]

[size=x-small]9. A [/size][size=x-small]CONTROL MENU [/size][size=x-small]has been added, allowing enable/disable of UART and USB wired remote[/size]
[size=x-small]controllers in addition to the IR remote.[/size]

[size=x-small]10. The [/size][size=x-small]TE [/size][size=x-small]menu has been modified to accommodate wired head trackers.[/size]

[size=x-small]11. For look angle adjustment of “looking centre” after measurement, the left and right speakers’[/size]
[size=x-small]phantom centre image is now used instead of the centre speaker. Thus stereo and other PRIRs which[/size]
[size=x-small]contain no virtual centre speaker can be adjusted; and perceptual sensitivity is increased.[/size]

[size=x-small]12. The HPEQ inverse EQ compression factor ([/size][size=x-small]XFACT[/size][size=x-small]) bands are now [/size][size=x-small]0-5 kHz[/size][size=x-small], [/size][size=x-small]5-10 kHz[/size][size=x-small], and[/size]
[size=x-small]10-24 kHz[/size][size=x-small].[/size]

[size=x-small]13. The head tracker [/size][size=x-small]SCOPE [/size][size=x-small]default is now [/size][size=x-small]HOLD[/size][size=x-small].[/size]

[size=x-small]14. Channel assignment options now appear in SMPTE/default order, and the [/size][size=x-small]C[/size][size=x-small], [/size][size=x-small]LsRs [/size][size=x-small]and [/size][size=x-small]LbRb[/size]
[size=x-small]measurement procedures use SMPTE/default channel assignments.[/size]

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #638 of 2,910
With all of the rave reviews here from Can Jam/Chicago (see the thread here at http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495320/jh-audio-jh-3a) , is anyone planning to pick up the new JH Audio JHA-3/JH-16 Pro combo for use with the Realiser?  I think that would be quite a combo!

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #639 of 2,910
Yup, that's my plan.

I had a recorded sample of an SVS Realiser processed stream on my HM-801 and tried it with the JH16 + JH-3A prototype at CanJam, and cranking up the bass was very much like cranking up the LFE channel subwoofer, it was very effective and a lot of fun.  It will come in handy a compensating for the vastly different levels of LFE bass in different movies.  As you can dial it down for overly bass heavy movies, and cranking it up for bass lean movies, particularly older movies.

-Ed

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #640 of 2,910

Quote:
Yup, that's my plan.

I had a recorded sample of an SVS Realiser processed stream on my HM-801 and tried it with the JH16 + JH-3A prototype at CanJam, and cranking up the bass was very much like cranking up the LFE channel subwoofer, it was very effective and a lot of fun.  It will come in handy a compensating for the vastly different levels of LFE bass in different movies.  As you can dial it down for overly bass heavy movies, and cranking it up for bass lean movies, particularly older movies.

-Ed

I had completely forgotten that you can record the processed stream and take it with you to use portable!  If I had an SVS I would record as much of my music as was humanly possible from the output, and keep a copy of it to take with me.

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #642 of 2,910
Compared to full-size phones that get measured, wouldn't an IEM present a problem given that it isn't measured and the room measurement assumes that sound is coming from outside the ears not in the canal?  Have you found that the overall illusion to be less satisfying in the same way as using generic HTRF's?  Or is it just as convincing?

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #643 of 2,910

Quote:
Yup, that's my plan.

-Ed

That sounds like a sweet setup!  Can't say I've moved to recording Smyth processed streams.  But I'm sure that's in my future too.

I was thinking about the JH16 with the Smyth for its enhanced bass response.  Sounded like a good marriage.  And then, along comes the JH-3A + JH-16 at Can Jam/Chicago. 
Even more interesting.

Right now I'm running a long Stax extension cable from the Stax amp at the LCD to the listening position.  I'll have to figure out how to address that with the JH IEM.  Either an extension
for the IEM or between the Realiser and the JH-3A. 

After that, time to research where I can get a JH demo.  With Can Jam in Chicago, not sure when the next West Coast appearance of the JH-3A might be.  AES in November in SF, perhaps?

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #644 of 2,910

Quote:
Yes, combined with custom IEM's, it's THE ultimate personally customized music. 

Too bad multichannel DVD-Audio and SACD is pretty much kaput.  :frowning2:

-Ed

Sounds like! 

On source music, yes it would be nice if DVD-A and SACD were still in their prime now.  (Glad I picked up the Hi Rez surround discs I wanted along the way).  But some of those titles are still available on the web - and we are seeing some SACD Surround Classical releases still, along with the occasional Surround Jazz and Pop/Rock title - usually from Japan or Europe.  And Rhino Homemade just released a DTS Surround Disc of Chicago's CTA album with more promised.  Nice source material for the Smyth!

That reminds me, probably time to check in the our friend at AIX and see how his Surround Blu-Ray titles are coming along.  I picked up the AIX Blu-Ray Surround Sampler as part of my Smyth measurement fee.  But I would like some of the other Blu-Ray discs AIX has planned.

Jun 20, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #645 of 2,910

Quote:
Compared to full-size phones that get measured, wouldn't an IEM present a problem given that it isn't measured and the room measurement assumes that sound is coming from outside the ears not in the canal?  Have you found that the overall illusion to be less satisfying in the same way as using generic HTRF's?  Or is it just as convincing?

It's actually not really necessary with custom IEM's, as they pretty much avoid all parts of the middle and outer ear that effect the sound traveling into your ear drums, and in fact are probably deeper in the ear than the microphones that are inserted in normally for PRIR and HPEQ measurements.

The only strange thing is the occlusion effect with having your ears plugged up.  It does diminish the total illusion a bit, particularly with LFE bass since you feel it in your ears, but with tactile transducers, it minimizes that loss.  But if you are used to using custom IEM's, you'll get used to it very quickly. 

I did notice that HPEQ does also help a bit with making the LFE bass a little more accurate to the location of the subwoofer that was measured, so it reduces the effect of feeling the bass near your ears with full sized headphones.  But it's very subtle, probably not necessary, and a testament to the extreme attention to detail by Smyth Research.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back