Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Dec 15, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #961 of 2,910

Quote:
Movies & TV.

I do plan sometime to map a high end 2 channel system and try that in my reference headphone system.

Another thing to check out is the new "Quadio" series of reissues from Rhino Handmade.  They are remastering some of the classic "Quadraphonic" 4 Channel Albums from the 1970's era on to 24 bit/96 kHz DTS encoded DVDs.
Their first one by Chicago sold out.  But they now have The Best of Aretha Franklin in 4 Channel Surround.  A kick with the Realiser !

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #962 of 2,910
If I want to integrate a subwoofer with the realiser to provide the tactile sensation in my HT where would you recommend crossing over the sub? I would think that raising the freq. would offload some work from the Stax phones and provide more air movement and pressurization of the room.
How high would you recommend?

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #963 of 2,910

Quote:
Quote:
Movies & TV.

I do plan sometime to map a high end 2 channel system and try that in my reference headphone system.

Another thing to check out is the new "Quadio" series of reissues from Rhino Handmade.  They are remastering some of the classic "Quadraphonic" 4 Channel Albums from the 1970's era on to 24 bit/96 kHz DTS encoded DVDs.
Their first one by Chicago sold out.  But they now have The Best of Aretha Franklin in 4 Channel Surround.  A kick with the Realiser !

Thanks for the heads up; just ordered a copy. Interestingly they are $50 on amazon...

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #964 of 2,910

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Movies & TV.

Thanks for the heads up; just ordered a copy. Interestingly they are $50 on amazon...

I can see the Chicago Transit Authority "Quadio" going for $50 since it's out of print now.  But the Aretha Franklin one lists for $29.95 on Rhino Homemade's web site.  A much better deal from the source!  :)

The Aretha "Best of" Quadio disc is interesting in Surround.  But the real star in the "Quadio" series is the Chicago Transit Authority disc in Surround.  Very well done - and a lot of fun through the Realiser!  As for the $50 price, well let's hope that Rhino reissues it at some point down the road so that more people can hear it. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #965 of 2,910

Quote:
Movies & TV.

A couple of weeks back we brought in the Realizer to Sweden. We work with multi channel systems but even more so with 2 channel high-end systems. Surely it is a fantastic experience to listen to a film in 5 or 7 channels through the Realizer. Or a Bluray concert in a multichannel setup. My personal feeling however is that a lot of people used to high end music systems will truly enjoy the Realiser as a complement to their usual setup. One guy already indicated he preferred the Realiser... :) That aside I think there is much to gain from capturing a good or excellent 2 channel system/room and enjoy that, when normal listening for some reason is impossible. During the last week I've made several tests with a variety of speakers and I it is, regardless of which speaker-type I use, amazing how well the Realizer does the job. Capturing a 2 channel system is really recommended. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #966 of 2,910

Quote:
Tried a pair of AKG 701, Sennheiser HD-650 and my Sennheiser HD-800. All three of these headphones had more than enough volume to cause ear damage, using the 1/4" headphone jack in the Realiser and its volume control. They also sounded very nice, anybody want to buy a Woo Amp?
devil_face.gif

SVS included a update page so I can use the buttons.

ss

I recently had an extended demo of the Realiser. I still can't get over how well it works. The Stax heaphones were too uncomfortable for me. I tried the HD800 and it is a much better fit. I can wear these for an extended period.

Re-reading parts of this thread I came across the above statement. Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to try the HD800 plugged directly into the Realiser. I was planning on a Violectric HPA V200 but now I'm wondering about just using the Realiser headphone out. What are folk's thoughts on this? Does an external amp make a really significant difference?

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #967 of 2,910
Bump.

Hey guys, can you try your non-stax phones directly into the realiser and let me know what you think. Going from $750 for cans and amp to $1400 for headphones and $1,000 for amp is quite a price jump.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #968 of 2,910

Quote:
Bump.

Hey guys, can you try your non-stax phones directly into the realiser and let me know what you think. Going from $750 for cans and amp to $1400 for headphones and $1,000 for amp is quite a price jump.

Tried my HD800's using the Realiser's 1/4" jack, all I can say is its ok. Didn't try my HE-6's because I already know that the HE6's would be a compete waist.
The 202 stax that is packaged with the Realiser is a better sound than just using the Realiser's 1/4 inch jack and the HD800.

I am now using the HE6's with the realiser and my WA5LE amp and like that combo better than my HD800. However the HE6s need a very powerful amp to drive them.

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #969 of 2,910
how would you describe the differences? at the moment I'm using the realiser with old beyerdynamic 911 and no external headphone-amplifier. It's quite enjoyable but didn't reflect the highend-environment in which I record the PRIR. Especially the spacial authentity and the realism of good recordings which can led a listener to believe the performer are actually there is missing. I have to say this is an experience which I have only with loudspeaker to date. Do you think it is related to the missing tactile part or could I raise the performance to the level I described when buying newer/better (the 911 were really good headphones at their time) headphones and an external amp or should I prefer to level up with the help of a tactile transducer like the i-beam? Do you use a tactile-transducer for audiophile music listening or is it quite enervating and distracting in this term?

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #970 of 2,910

Quote:
Quote:
Bump.

Tried my HD800's using the Realiser's 1/4" jack, all I can say is its ok. Didn't try my HE-6's because I already know that the HE6's would be a compete waist.
The 202 stax that is packaged with the Realiser is a better sound than just using the Realiser's 1/4 inch jack and the HD800.

I am now using the HE6's with the realiser and my WA5LE amp and like that combo better than my HD800. However the HE6s need a very powerful amp to drive them.

I just ordered my HE6's.  Looking forward to getting them and trying them out with the Realiser.  From the early reviews from Ed Wood and SS, sounds like a significant upgrade from the Stax Electrostatic 202 phones that came in the Realiser box.  When they get here, it will be time to crack the manual to review how to create a new Headphone EQ (HPEQ) file for the HE6's!

I'm also following the thread here about Mike Moffat's upcoming Schiit Lyr Hybrid 6 watt Headphone Amp.  Sounds like a fine partner for the HE6.  Even though it won't be out until March 1.

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #971 of 2,910

Quote:
I just ordered my HE6's.  Looking forward to getting them and trying them out with the Realiser.  From the early reviews from Ed Wood and SS, sounds like a significant upgrade from the Stax Electrostatic 202 phones that came in the Realiser box.  When they get here, it will be time to crack the manual to review how to create a new Headphone EQ (HPEQ) file for the HE6's!

I'm also following the thread here about Mike Moffat's upcoming Schiit Lyr Hybrid 6 watt Headphone Amp.  Sounds like a fine partner for the HE6.  Even though it won't be out until March 1.

Keep reading for the right amp to power your HE6s, I think Hifiman is coming out with a new amp for the HE6s also. I don't follow what amps work well with the HE6s because the head amp I have is a great match for the HE6's and of-course the Realiser with AIX's PRIR's.
Don't forget the HE6 needs about 75 hours +- of break-in.

I can't take credit for the HE6 because Edwood is the guy who beta tested the HE6, I am simply following his lead. I also am getting (I think, if it gets shipped) a external DAC to add to my chain just to hear if there is a even bigger improvement in the great audio coming from my HE6.

I posted my opinion on the X-10 HE6 headphone cable over on the HE6 thread.

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #973 of 2,910

SS,
That's what I expected regarding an external amp but thanks for the info. I find the HD800 wearable but not my idea of really comfortable. Reviews of other phones such as the HE6 sound even more uncomfortable.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #974 of 2,910

Quote:
Hey sillysally

I've read on other sites that the he-6s are uncomfortable to wear compared to the hd800s. How would you rate them, also compared to the stax-202 comfort.

Thanks

Of the three headphones for comfort and extended wear, I like the HE6 the best. For me the HE6 fits like a glove and mostly stays put, the HD-800 is very comfortable but it does slide around on my head, the stax is also comfortable but it also slides around on my head.

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #975 of 2,910

Quote:

Quote:

Keep reading for the right amp to power your HE6s, I think Hifiman is coming out with a new amp for the HE6s also. I don't follow what amps work well with the HE6s because the head amp I have is a great match for the HE6's and of-course the Realiser with AIX's PRIR's.
Don't forget the HE6 needs about 75 hours +- of break-in.

I can't take credit for the HE6 because Edwood is the guy who beta tested the HE6, I am simply following his lead. I also am getting (I think, if it gets shipped) a external DAC to add to my chain just to hear if there is a even bigger improvement in the great audio coming from my HE6.

I posted my opinion on the X-10 HE6 headphone cable over on the HE6 thread.

Thanks for the added info.  Yes, I'm watching the HE-6 amp discussions with interest.  Sounds like the HiFiMan EF6 headphone amp is under development at the moment.  As is the Lyr.  So no way to decide among those two yet.
And there are other solutions like the Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA- LFP-V which combines a headphone amp with a DAC.  Understand it was featured at CanJam @ RMAF with the Audeze LCD-2 headphones.  Not sure if it has enough power to drive the HE-6.

More fun ahead....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back