Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Dec 13, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #946 of 2,910
Just got an answer from Lorr. I am not sure yet if I will go to AIX or Mi Casa (or both). I have seen lot of recommendations for AIX on this thread but I don't know if anyone went to Mi Casa?

Anyone interested in PRIR at the Egyptian Theatre, if it worth it? We need to be at least 3.

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #950 of 2,910

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Speaking of headphones, ED Wood really nailed it when he said the HE6's are a great match for the Realiser.

The HE6s blow away my HD-800's, D7000's. The HE6's are really amazing headphones, but be warned they are very hard to drive. You need a very powerful head amp or as some folks have reported success using a speaker amp.

Are the HE-6 headphones available?  Last I heard there were some prototype editions of the HE-6 being circulated among some of the Head-Fi elite here.
To power them, I assume you could get a Home Theater receiver and hook the HE-6 phones to the stereo speaker terminals.

And I see on the Stax Headphone web site over at http://www.stax.co.jp/index-E.html a mention of an upcoming new generation of models called the "new sound collection" that is "under constrcution". 
Hmm, maybe we will hear more when the CES reports come in next month !

Yes the HE6 is now for sale. A little easier to drive than the prototype, there is a introduction price on the HE6.
Yes some owners are reporting good results using a speaker amp.

In my setup, I'm thinking of adding a 7.1 HT receiver to pick up some HDMI ports and switching anyway.  So using the speaker terminals would be a natural vs. say buying some long RCA cables which I think is how you are working with the HE-6.
Have you hooked your HE-6 to the Realiser yet ?

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #951 of 2,910

Quote:
In my setup, I'm thinking of adding a 7.1 HT receiver to pick up some HDMI ports and switching anyway.  So using the speaker terminals would be a natural vs. say buying some long RCA cables which I think is how you are working with the HE-6.

I keep all of my audio gear in one rack along with my PS Audio - Premier Power Conditioner and my BDP-09, so I can use mostly 1M cords and cables. My display is mounted to the wall near my audio rack so I use a high end monster HDMI 8ft cable (you can get them very cheap on E-Bay new if you are careful). I drop the HDMI cable down inside the wall and then out at the bottom of the wall to my BDP-09.

Yes I have been using my HE6 with my Realiser. I sometimes use the L/R 4ft blue jeans 7.1 rca cables to run over to my Oppo BDP-83SE/NE for SACD and music videos, by disconnecting  the R/L ch from my BD-09.

I am not a fan of splitters.

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #953 of 2,910
May be I will go to the Mia Casa and the Egyptian during my next conference in May next year when
I have a conference there in Sanfrancisco , on my way back I will travel from SF to LA and then back to
Bangkok again.
Someone in Thai headfi is trying to use the realiser A8 with the computer , is that possible?
Can we use the Asus sonar essence soundcard and connect via 4 pairs of RCA analog to the A8 input
and play the surround music?  I think we can download DTS file into the computer and playback?
Anyone heard about the new product of Audiotechnica which claim that it can be used with the computer directly
and work like the A8?   the link is www.audio-technica.co.up/atp/...500/index.html

Dec 14, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #955 of 2,910
It is not the same thing.
The Realiser really recreate an environment, based on measurements specific to your head/hears shape.

I am not quite sure how the ATH DWL 5500 (or any "Surround" headphone) works, but I guess it is doing a very generic emulation of speakers placement.
Anyway the Realiser will certainly give better results.

I guess that any soundcard that can output in 5.1 or 7.1 can be connected to the Realiser with 4 pairs of RCA, as you suggested.

Dec 14, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #956 of 2,910
Dear Germs,
   Thanks for the answer.
   Can you recommend any good or better quality 7.1 card that will match the A8?
   I will inform Thai headfi about the Audiotechnica new product that it does not match the
quality of A8.  I also don't buy into that but I would like to make sure before I make a comment
to them

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #957 of 2,910

Quote:
Actually why do find AIX better? Mi Casa is doing bluray mastering, at first glance it should be better for watching blurays?

Quote:
FWIW, I have all three you mention and only use AIX now.

I have three here - Smyth Labs, Mi Casa and AIX.  Like most folks here, I use the AIX 5.1 and 7.1 the most.  But occasionally I use the Mi Casa with movies.

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #958 of 2,910

Quote:

Quote:

I keep all of my audio gear in one rack along with my PS Audio - Premier Power Conditioner and my BDP-09, so I can use mostly 1M cords and cables. My display is mounted to the wall near my audio rack so I use a high end monster HDMI 8ft cable (you can get them very cheap on E-Bay new if you are careful). I drop the HDMI cable down inside the wall and then out at the bottom of the wall to my BDP-09.

Yes I have been using my HE6 with my Realiser. I sometimes use the L/R 4ft blue jeans 7.1 rca cables to run over to my Oppo BDP-83SE/NE for SACD and music videos, by disconnecting  the R/L ch from my BD-09.

I am not a fan of splitters.

I have the TV and all of the equipment in one place now.  But I need to bring the headphones across the room for watching/listening.  Right now I'm using a long Stax extension cable for that. 
If I go with the HE6 or one of the JH Audio IEMs, I'll need to solve the same challenge differently.

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #959 of 2,910
Germs, if you read back in this thread, or the other one on the Realiser, I am pretty sure Edwood compares the rooms and I agree with his assessments.

I only use mine with a computer.  Output spdif from the motherboard to an external processor, an Emotiva LMC-1.  I use an RSA amp, can't rememebr the name now, and HD600s.  I have tried on my reference system but I prefer the HD600.  I do not necessarily agree that it scales much better with better headphones (and I have tried it with all of mine).  I have always returned to my simpler setup.

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #960 of 2,910

Quote:
I have the TV and all of the equipment in one place now.  But I need to bring the headphones across the room for watching/listening.  Right now I'm using a long Stax extension cable for that. 
If I go with the HE6 or one of the JH Audio IEMs, I'll need to solve the same challenge differently.

Yes I have the same setup for headphone. With my HD-800s I use a 15ft Cardas headphone cable for my HD-800s, with my HE6s I just got a X-10 15ft HE6 cable.
However for what ever reason the after market headphone cables for the HE6 are at least three times as heavy as the stock headphone cables for the HE6. I asked MS T about getting a longer cable but she said that they do not make a custom cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back