Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Feb 1, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #481 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, your player feeds the .1 to the Realiser, and the Realiser distributes the .1 to your full-range center channel (and optionally to the LS and RS channels as well).

Thats excellent news. Thanks for clarifying Erik.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #482 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't help that some movies (and especially games) tend to not properly mix a discrete center channel. They often "beef up" the center with the Left and Right creating a phantom center channel that never sounds right.

-Ed

I very much agree. I was just watching a movie where there was a permanent spread of dialogue between the Center, Left and Right. It sounded almost like a reverberation between the outer speakers and the center. For most movies, however, the dialogue is centered right at my projection screen.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #483 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I very much agree. I was just watching a movie where there was a permanent spread of dialogue between the Center, Left and Right. It sounded almost like a reverberation between the outer speakers and the center. For most movies, however, the dialogue is centered right at my projection screen.

Yeah, not all movies' multi channel audio are mastered well.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #484 of 2,910
When purchasing the Realiser, does one have to use the included Stax 2020 headphones? How would the HD800's fair or even perhaps some other Stax model headphones? Can the Realiser be purchased without the Stax headphones? Even crazier question, can the Realiser be used with the JH-13 Pros?

I know, so many questions.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #485 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When purchasing the Realiser, does one have to use the included Stax 2020 headphones? How would the HD800's fair or even perhaps some other Stax model headphones? Can the Realiser be purchased without the Stax headphones? Even crazier question, can the Realiser be used with the JH-13 Pros?

I know, so many questions.

The Realiser can be purchased without the bundled Stax, but really only for experienced Head-Fiers here since most of us have better headphone systems than the Stax 2050.

The Realiser can be used with pretty much any headphones, including the HD800 and JH13. You'll create a HPEQ profile with the HD800's. You don't need one with the JH13's since they're inside your ear canal.

My favorite with the Realiser is my JH13's. They have the dynamic range necessary to really get the whole experience. It does "feel" weird at first though. You basically have your ears plugged up and the sound is coming from everywhere. Also, a bit weird since you "feel" the bass inside your ears, but hear it everywhere else. So LFE can be a bit of an issue with IEM's since it has a weird effect. But it sound awesome, and I got used to it pretty quickly.

-Ed

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #486 of 2,910
Thanks Edwood. I really felt like that the next glass ceiling to be broken, in terms of headphone science, had to be true soundstaging. Every other breakthrough is so last century. This might very well be the first watershed moment in 21st century headphone engineering. I really thought I was stretching a bit by introducing the JH-13's into the equation so I was quite surprised to see that they are your favorite go-to for listening. I would like to hear more about the synergy between the Realiser and the JH-13 Pro. Also, since I live in a small NYC apartment and don't have loudspeakers, can the realizer be shipped with the room already pre-programmed into the Realiser? Also, besides headphones, what other equipment is needed? Does the Realiser double as an amp and DAC? Truly fascinating.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #487 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Edwood. I really felt like that the next glass ceiling to be broken, in terms of headphone listening, had to be true soundstaging. Every other breakthrough is so last century. This might very well be the first watershed moment in 21st century headphone engineering. I really thought I was stretching a bit by introducing the JH-13's into the equation so I was quite surprised to see that they are your favorite go-to for listening. I would like to hear more about the synergy between the Realiser and the JH-13 Pro. Also, since I live in a small NYC apartment and don't have loudspeakers, can the realizer be shipped with the room already pre-programmed into the Realiser? Also, besides headphones, what other equipment is needed? Does the Realiser double as an amp and DAC? Truly fascinating.

I cannot comment on the JH13 although I would trust what Edwood says. I personally think the Stax 2050ii setup is great for movies other then the amp seems to bottom out during heavy bass sequences. The big thing with the Realiser is that it needs to be personalized to your ears and the room you are emulating. If you are absolutely unable to get a personalization in a good room I would wait on purchasing this unit. As others have said, the included Camarillo preset is good but it's nowhere near what the unit is capable of. The Realiser really shines once it's calibrated. You will need a source of some kind with analogue outputs. I use a receiver. The Realiser does have a headphone amp but you will probably want to get something seperate. As far as a Dac I am pretty sure that it only accepts analogue inputs will convert those analogue signals into an optical output.

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #488 of 2,910
For anyone who has calibrated at AIX: Do any of you notice any localization of the subwoofer in the right side of the headphones? I seem to notice that my right ear vibrates more and on certain frequencies I can localize the sub at about the location it was physically. Just a question...

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #489 of 2,910
Quote:

I think some receivers with DH can decode DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD.

Not really, they can decode only SD audio track for DH.
But, some of (marantz) can work with PCM multichannel track.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #490 of 2,910
Quote:

Connect Realiser's multichannel outputs to DH processor/receiver.
Put microphones in ears.
Wear DH headphones.
Start PRIR measurement.

I see, but it seems there's a problem.
During the PRIR measurement, you're supposed to look each channel, including right and left.
You can't do that with DH headphones, because the sound turn with your head
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #491 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by frenshprince /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't do that with DH headphones, because the sound turn with your head
biggrin.gif

True, so the Realiser will mimic DH's inability to do headtracking.

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #492 of 2,910
I was just wondering, when folks are listening to music on headphones now, are they listening with the Realiser so that they think they are listening to actual speakers, or are they listening in traditional headphone mode. I remember on a few old threads when people were discussing speaker vs headphone, the majority preferred speaker, but were usually constrained in how loud or when they could listen to them.
If you are listening with the Realiser and are hearing the sound as if listening to extremely good speakers (Aix calibration), does it make a lot of the hobby almost irrelevant, i.e. better cables, upgraded amps, etc. ? Will there be the same incremental improvements on the Realiser from these tweaks as there was in your traditional set up? Just wondering.

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #493 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Socrates /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just wondering, when folks are listening to music on headphones now, are they listening with the Realiser so that they think they are listening to actual speakers, or are they listening in traditional headphone mode. I remember on a few old threads when people when discussing speaker vs headphone, the majority preferred speaker, but were usually constrained in how loud or when they could listen to them.
If you are listening with the Realiser and are hearing the sound as if listening to extremely good speakers (Aix calibration), does it make a lot of the hobby almost irrelevant, i.e. better cables, upgraded amps, etc. ? Will there be the same incremental improvements on the Realiser from these tweaks as there was in your traditional set up? Just wondering.

I listen soley through the Realiser. In my situation, I have pretty nice speakers, a decent amp and processor to compare them to. I find that the Realiser's soundstage sounds just as wide as my real speakers but the details and clarity are far superior. Many people will argue this point but to my ears this is the case. Also, the room is one of the biggest factors and in my case my room isn't setup with acoustic treatments.

In closing, for movies and music, my Stax 007T + 404LE + Buttkicker combo is superior to my Denon 3808Ci + Outlaw 7125 + Def Tech ST, Ten, Gem XL by far.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #495 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just can't bother reading all of 33 pages....

So, does it works really?

You must hear it to really comprehend it. But in short, yes, it does really work and with a good calibration I feel it equals and sometimes beats most home theaters. When combined with seat shakers it's really an experience you have to hear to believe. If you really plan to have it replace your current home theater or speaker setup you need to have:

1) A good source with good DAC's
2) A very high quality amp and headphone that can accurately reproduce both high and low ranges effectively. For example, the Stax 2050ii system sounded very good but suffered a bit on the low ranges
3) Some kind of tactile transducer setup to reproduce the feeling of air moving in the room on the sub ranges

Since you live in California I would recommend scheduling an appointment with Lorr at Smyth so you can get an idea what it's all about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back