Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Jan 30, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #466 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by frenshprince /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't have access to a great system to do a measurement, it's better to go to Dolby headphone.

Until you get access to a great system, you can do a measurement of DH, so the Realiser will mimic DH.

Jan 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #467 of 2,910
What ?
beyersmile.png

And how do you do that ?

Jan 30, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #468 of 2,910
Even with the "factory camarillo" PRIR, it's better than Dolby Headphone. Just not orders of magnitude better.

Speaker localization effect is clearer and better separation. Bass management (LFE) is much better with the Realiser. Dolby Headphone simply mimics large speaker setting and ignores the LFE channel apparently.

Another thing is you can always upgrade to a better preamp / processor front end source with the Realiser. Dolby Headphone systems are completely integrated, no way to upgrade the processor/decoding. Advantage of Dolby Headphone is it's an all-in-one solution, further adding to it's affordability. But it's also an immediate dead end. Want DTS MA? DD True HD? No can do with Dolby Headphone.

-Ed

Jan 30, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #469 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by frenshprince /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how do you do that ?

Connect Realiser's multichannel outputs to DH processor/receiver.
Put microphones in ears.
Wear DH headphones.
Start PRIR measurement.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #471 of 2,910
Hi,

I have a query on calibrating with a single speaker and the whole LFE channel issue.

My situation is that I am currently using the Camarillo setting. I have the analog outputs of a HD-DVD player connected to the Realiser. (I have no receiver, I'll be using a stereo amplifier for the single speaker set up). I understand that LFE is output from the player 10db lower than other channels and that a receiver would normally compensate for this. To correct for this on the HD DVD audio settings I have lowered the channel volume for all speakers bar the subwoofer channel by 10b and have set the speakers as large and with a subwoofer.

I see no provision for a subwoofer on the instructions on page 58 of the manual. Is the assumption that if you use a single speaker you will run with a 5.0 or 7.0 system? If you do that and use a player directly hooked up like mine, will the LFE be 10db lower than it should be, and is there anything I can do about this in my current set up. The speaker I will be calibrating from is a Definitive Technology Protower which has a 125w powered subwoofer built into it. As a 5.0 system it would function very well, but the issue of the LFE level would still be there. I also have a Def Tech subwoofer if that's any help.

Thanks for any advice.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #472 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Realiser, the Victor SU-DH1, and the Astro A40 System. I'll probably do a review write up on them sometime. You are absolutely correct. Dolby Headphone (properly implemented) is the only other virtual surround sound system that sounds right. But the Realiser system is better.

In a nutshell, comparing a Dolby Headphone system to the Realiser is like comparing a $99 5.1 Computer Speaker system in a box to a multi tens of thousand dollar reference home theater system.

Sure they're both surround sound, but they are not in the same league in terms of performance (and price).

-Ed

Yes, I agree. I do think that Dolby Headphone is a huge step up from regular stereo listening on the headphones but the channel seperation is nothing like the Realiser. I think the biggest difference (as far as localization) is the center channel replication. From my understanding, the center is the hardest to replicate properly and the Realiser does an amazing job of this. Also, the fact that I can listen to all of the lossless formats is really what sold me. I bought an expensive processor a year ago and I wasn't about to give up some of it's main functionality.

Now, my wife wants a pair of Stax because she says they are far more comfortable then the Beyer DT880's that she's using currently. So, I am going to purchase a Stax 007T amp today along with a set of 404's and let her listen through the 2050ii setup... fair trade right?
darthsmile.gif

PS: On a side note, I think I prefer the system without head tracking. I tried them both ways and find that a system without headtracking doesn't take away anything for me. I prefer it because I find that the headtracker makes me focus too much on the position of my head. Lorr thought it would be the opposite for me and so did I. I guess I am just odd.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #473 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Socrates /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see no provision for a subwoofer on the instructions on page 58 of the manual.

See the section "LFE redirection for 5.0 and 8.0 PRIRs" on page 78.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #474 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer it because I find that the headtracker makes me focus too much on the position of my head.

Did you try covering up the headtracker's LEDs so you no longer see them?

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #475 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you try covering up the headtracker's LEDs so you no longer see them?

I am going to try that today. Maybe that will make the difference?

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #476 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See the section "LFE redirection for 5.0 and 8.0 PRIRs" on page 78.

Thanks Erik, I hadn't spotted that note.

If I calibrate with one speaker, I will have 5.0 or 8.0

In relation to the two options they suggest ,the first won't work as I am directly sending the sound from the dvd player to the Realiser so I won't be able to increase the LFE gain as would happen as a matter of course with a preamp or receiver.

I'm a bit confused by the second one. I won't have a real subwoofer or a preamp to pass through. However if I have a 5.0 calibration and I hook up the dvd to the Realiser inputs for 5.1, and use one of the first two boxes settings on p.78, will the Realiser distribute the .1 to the other channels as indicated?

Thanks.

PS: Personally I love the headtracking. Using the Camarillo settings, the out of the head experience for the centre channel isn't quite there. Looking left and right a couple of times with the headtracking helps to better create the illusion of the centre channel. The lights don't bother me as they're not very bright. Has anyone else had the experience where the lights are off for short period but the headtracking still works? This has happened a couple of times to me.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #477 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now, my wife wants a pair of Stax because she says they are far more comfortable then the Beyer DT880's that she's using currently. So, I am going to purchase a Stax 007T amp today along with a set of 404's and let her listen through the 2050ii setup... fair trade right?
darthsmile.gif

LOL, nice upgrade negotiations.
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #478 of 2,910
Quote:

PS: Personally I love the headtracking. Using the Camarillo settings, the out of the head experience for the centre channel isn't quite there. Looking left and right a couple of times with the headtracking helps to better create the illusion of the centre channel. The lights don't bother me as they're not very bright. Has anyone else had the experience where the lights are off for short period but the headtracking still works? This has happened a couple of times to me.

Yes, that happened to me. When I used the tracking the lights would go of (which was also distracting) but the tracking still worked. I think I'll put some tape over the lights and try it that way.

When you get a personalized PRIR I think you will notice that the center channel becomes much more evident. When I got home I compared my speaker system to the headphones as far as the localization of the center and it was pretty identical. The best part to me is all the details you retain with this system that I would miss with my speaker system. Since I don't have a perfect room and a $100,000 worth of speakers the Realiser is the answer.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #480 of 2,910
Quote:

However if I have a 5.0 calibration and I hook up the dvd to the Realiser inputs for 5.1, and use one of the first two boxes settings on p.78, will the Realiser distribute the .1 to the other channels as indicated?

Yes, your player feeds the .1 to the Realiser, and the Realiser distributes the .1 to your full-range center channel (and optionally to the LS and RS channels as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back