Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Jan 10, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #451 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had to cancel my visit to the Egyptian/AIX/MiCasa next week for calibrations. Not happy about this.
frown.gif

That is sad.

The Smyth is so much more exciting with the added calibrations.
No doubt about it.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #452 of 2,910
I'm very close to purchasing the SVS. I've spoken with them and the word is that they "may" release a firmware update allowing two personalized calibrations on one machine. This is very exciting to me. I may just purchase this and calibrate it to my ears and daisy chain amps for other listeners until the firmware comes out (if ever). I am sure the experience (even without the head tracking) will be vastly superior to any other option that I've tried.

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #453 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very close to purchasing the SVS. I've spoken with them and the word is that they "may" release a firmware update allowing two personalized calibrations on one machine. This is very exciting to me. I may just purchase this and calibrate it to my ears and daisy chain amps for other listeners until the firmware comes out (if ever). I am sure the experience (even without the head tracking) will be vastly superior to any other option that I've tried.

Interesting information. Hadn't heard mention of this 2-person feature before, even from Lorr who I was just personally involved with this past Tuesday getting a calibration done at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood (which, by the way, has UNBELIEVABLE SOUND... though clearly a movie theater / large arena venue sound... not an intimate personal home theater or small close-up listening room). Of course a 2-person version of the box was something I'd suggested to them back in May, shortly after acquiring my own A8, and they did say they were aware of the idea and were thinking about it.

Until and unless there are actually TWO INDEPENDENTLY FED headphone outputs, there's not much purpose to a 2-person firmware upgrade which presumably would support listening to two different personalizations simultaneously. Though this is not how it works today, as long as there's no hardware reason for this and as long as it's all firmware-caused, then it's a very exciting step forward if the A8 can become a true 2-person machine.

So presumably, (a) there's enough memory and CPU horsepower in the current A8 hardware to support processing two separate and independent PRIR/HPEQ+customizations/tweaks simultaneously, and (b) they are able to individually address at least two of the three headphone outputs of the box... analog RCA on the back, analog stereo mini-jack on the front and digital/optical on the back... in order to facilitate such a capability.

This would seem to be what's required in order to support two simultaneous and independent listeners, providing each with the full range of customization and tweaks (e.g. volume, bass management, etc.) currently available to the one-and-only listener.

P.S. - in passing, the sound and projection systems at the Egyptian are amazing. Six speakers along each side wall, six front-facing rear speakers for the orchestra seats mounted above them on the front of the balcony, and six front-facing rear speakers for the balcony mounted above them in front of the rear wall of the theater. 24 total surround speakers.

And then there are the most gorgeous sounding speakers (and horns, probably) behind the screen (provides a fairly narrow L/R angle of -/+ 18 degrees off center from where we were sitting in front-row center balcony). These were GORGEOUS sounding!

After the calibrations (artfully managed, of course, by Lorr and Paul, the longtime projectionist and "friend of Sid Grauman") we were treated to a demonstration of sound and picture, with snippets from the BluRay "Ratatouille" (opening rain sequence, trip down the sewer system, explosive percussion events, etc.) projected via "HDCP-hacked 1080p", and also from the BluRay version of the Cinerama version of 1962's "How The West Was Won" (transfer of Technicolor colors did not do well, in my opinion). Just amazing sound.

And then we were invited into the projection room, to see how it all works... projectors, sound processors, computers, hard drives, assorted audio equipment, posters on the walls from past events and upcoming schedules of American Cinematheque which runs the place, etc., which was a real treat.

Getting home with my personalization and listening to something on HDTV through it, well I'd have to say this is not a "room" meant for watching HDTV. Very much preferred my AIX "room". However I did watch the "pebble scene" (chapter 3) from "House of Flying Daggers") while listening to "the Egyptian" and it was much more satisfying. BIG, BIG, BIG and wide-open! And very narrow L/R... just as it really was from my balcony seat.

Nevertheless, if you want a real sound treat... catch a film at the Egyptian and listen.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #455 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsperber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then there are the most gorgeous sounding speakers (and horns, probably) behind the screen (provides a fairly narrow L/R angle of -/+ 18 degrees off center from where we were sitting in front-row center balcony).

On a speaker system at home, you cannot put speakers behind the screen without degrading the sound (unless you happen to have an acoustically-transparent projection screen), but you can put the L/C/R speakers in front of the screen temporarily to measure them with the Realiser. That way, when you listen to a movie through the Reaslier, the L/C/R sound will seem to be coming from the screen itself, just like it does in a commercial theater or dubbing stage.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #456 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that you overlooked my reply to your post a few months ago.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6115833-post387.html

Actually, I now do recall reading that back when you originally posted it (in response to my comment), quoting from that recent interview.

Anyway, this is a terrific enhancement, if/when it arrives. Now all it will take is a new set of calibration visits for "listener #2" back to the assorted listening rooms to complete "the family that listens to SVS together, stays together".

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #457 of 2,910
Quote:

Interesting information. Hadn't heard mention of this 2-person feature before, even from Lorr who I was just personally involved with this past Tuesday getting a calibration done at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood (which, by the way, has UNBELIEVABLE SOUND... though clearly a movie theater / large arena venue sound... not an intimate personal home theater or small close-up listening room). Of course a 2-person version of the box was something I'd suggested to them back in May, shortly after acquiring my own A8, and they did say they were aware of the idea and were thinking about it.

Until and unless there are actually TWO INDEPENDENTLY FED headphone outputs, there's not much purpose to a 2-person firmware upgrade which presumably would support listening to two different personalizations simultaneously. Though this is not how it works today, as long as there's no hardware reason for this and as long as it's all firmware-caused, then it's a very exciting step forward if the A8 can become a true 2-person machine.

So presumably, (a) there's enough memory and CPU horsepower in the current A8 hardware to support processing two separate and independent PRIR/HPEQ+customizations/tweaks simultaneously, and (b) they are able to individually address at least two of the three headphone outputs of the box... analog RCA on the back, analog stereo mini-jack on the front and digital/optical on the back... in order to facilitate such a capability.

This would seem to be what's required in order to support two simultaneous and independent listeners, providing each with the full range of customization and tweaks (e.g. volume, bass management, etc.) currently available to the one-and-only listener.

P.S. - in passing, the sound and projection systems at the Egyptian are amazing. Six speakers along each side wall, six front-facing rear speakers for the orchestra seats mounted above them on the front of the balcony, and six front-facing rear speakers for the balcony mounted above them in front of the rear wall of the theater. 24 total surround speakers.

And then there are the most gorgeous sounding speakers (and horns, probably) behind the screen (provides a fairly narrow L/R angle of -/+ 18 degrees off center from where we were sitting in front-row center balcony). These were GORGEOUS sounding!

After the calibrations (artfully managed, of course, by Lorr and Paul, the longtime projectionist and "friend of Sid Grauman") we were treated to a demonstration of sound and picture, with snippets from the BluRay "Ratatouille" (opening rain sequence, trip down the sewer system, explosive percussion events, etc.) projected via "HDCP-hacked 1080p", and also from the BluRay version of the Cinerama version of 1962's "How The West Was Won" (transfer of Technicolor colors did not do well, in my opinion). Just amazing sound.

And then we were invited into the projection room, to see how it all works... projectors, sound processors, computers, hard drives, assorted audio equipment, posters on the walls from past events and upcoming schedules of American Cinematheque which runs the place, etc., which was a real treat.

Getting home with my personalization and listening to something on HDTV through it, well I'd have to say this is not a "room" meant for watching HDTV. Very much preferred my AIX "room". However I did watch the "pebble scene" (chapter 3) from "House of Flying Daggers") while listening to "the Egyptian" and it was much more satisfying. BIG, BIG, BIG and wide-open! And very narrow L/R... just as it really was from my balcony seat.

Nevertheless, if you want a real sound treat... catch a film at the Egyptian and listen.

Wow, that sounds really amazing! I have been following your posts for quite a while and I am in a situation now that requires me to venture into headphone technology. I have a $15K sound system but can't use the subwoofer due to common walls. I've purchased a tactile transducer system but it integrates better with headphones then a subwoofer-less sound system in my opinion. I almost have the funds to purchase this system and I am very excited. I think I'll just get one calibration from Lorr at his facility and one at AIX. I live in Orange County, CA so it's not too much of a problem. Words cannot express how excited I am. I purchased a Dolby Headphone decoder and the experience is much more exiciting for movies when compared with standard stereo. I can't imagine how good the Realiser is going to sound compared to Dolby. Also, I am sure the Realiser combined with my Buttkickers is going to be pure bliss!

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #458 of 2,910
Quote:

I am a sad panda
frown.gif
Wish I could've been there.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #459 of 2,910
So the big trip is tomorrow. I am heading down to Smyth to pick up my Realiser and go do the measurements at AIX. I'll be sure to share my experience with everyone. Wish me luck!

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #460 of 2,910
So, the trip yesterday was succesfull. I am really still astonished after hearing what this thing is capable of. After my first calibration with Lorr, it really took a few minutes to process how well the headphones emulated the system at the lab. Later in the day we went to AIX and got a 5.1 and 7.1 calibration. The whole experience was amazing and Lorr was dilligent, responsive and walked me through the learning process. After bringing the AIX calibrations home I sat in awe at how The Dark Knight sounded when combined with my seat shakers. I can't see any need to switch back to my speaker system now. The realiser gives me next to perfect surround sound emulation of a next to perfect mastering studio that I could never afford to match. For all that are wondering just how different the Realiser is from Dolby Headphone there really is no contest. These two products really have no similarities other then the "surround sound" aspect. The Realiser geniuely reproduces all 7.1 distinct channels with great precision. As Lorr and others have said, the Realiser is only limited to the quality of the room you are reproducing. Also, the Stax system is quite good when compared to my Dynamic cans. I am sure eventually I will upgrade but for now I am in movie heaven.

Jan 30, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #462 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For all that are wondering just how different the Realiser is from Dolby Headphone there really is no contest.

I have the Realiser, the Victor SU-DH1, and the Astro A40 System. I'll probably do a review write up on them sometime. You are absolutely correct. Dolby Headphone (properly implemented) is the only other virtual surround sound system that sounds right. But the Realiser system is better.

In a nutshell, comparing a Dolby Headphone system to the Realiser is like comparing a $99 5.1 Computer Speaker system in a box to a multi tens of thousand dollar reference home theater system.

Sure they're both surround sound, but they are not in the same league in terms of performance (and price).

-Ed

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #463 of 2,910
Agree with you Edwood, but I would add something :
If you don't have access to a great system to do a measurement, it's better to go to Dolby headphone.

Jan 30, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #464 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by frenshprince /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree with you Edwood, but I would add something :
If you don't have access to a great system to do a measurement, it's better to go to Dolby headphone.

Yes, without a great system to measure, you are only using a fraction of the potential of the Realiser.

-Ed

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #465 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Realiser, the Victor SU-DH1, and the Astro A40 System. I'll probably do a review write up on them sometime. You are absolutely correct. Dolby Headphone (properly implemented) is the only other virtual surround sound system that sounds right. But the Realiser system is better.

In a nutshell, comparing a Dolby Headphone system to the Realiser is like comparing a $99 5.1 Computer Speaker system in a box to a multi tens of thousand dollar reference home theater system.

Sure they're both surround sound, but they are not in the same league in terms of performance (and price).

-Ed

Agreed. I find Dolby Headphone pretty underwhelming. Definitely not in the same league as the Realiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back