Loki Mini Impressions
Jan 22, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #286 of 1,011
Hopefully, a new Loki in Jot form factor would also match Jot build quality...
I own the Loki Mini, and I am NOT impressed by Schiit QC / build quality. Every knob is at different length :anguished:
That is NOT the first Schiit product I own, but definitely the schittiest build quality / quality control...
I did contact Schiit, BTW, and their response is that as far as they're concerned - nothing is wrong with it (I did attach photos that clearly show the visual eye sore issue).

I too think the improperly placed control buttons looks terrible from a QC standpoint. I was hoping that bringing this to their attention in Head-fi would get them to correct this. However I did purchase a Loki last month and my knobs do click into the default position reasonably close to the centre top of the knobs, not perfect but semi acceptable. From a functional standpoint however I do like this little thing. I would be interested in a Bimby/Jot sized unit if there is one in the works.

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #289 of 1,011
Here is a top-view that shows my cosmetic dissatisfaction:

I know it is NOT a huge deal, but many (most?) of us are a little OCD / perfectionist in this hobby...

Oh my, that looks sloppy as hell, and you’ve sent that pic to Schiit?

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #293 of 1,011
Hopefully, a new Loki in Jot form factor would also match Jot build quality...
I own the Loki Mini, and I am NOT impressed by Schiit QC / build quality. Every knob is at different length :anguished:
That is NOT the first Schiit product I own, but definitely the schittiest build quality / quality control...
I did contact Schiit, BTW, and their response is that as far as they're concerned - nothing is wrong with it (I did attach photos that clearly show the visual eye sore issue).

I really wish you hadn't Shanghaied my post.

Jan 22, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #295 of 1,011
Here is a top-view that shows my cosmetic dissatisfaction:

I know it is NOT a huge deal, but many (most?) of us are a little OCD / perfectionist in this hobby...
Cant blame you. Even i cant stand looking at it. And i have average OCD.

I actually went to my audio shop yesterday and picked & chose my Loki. The 1st Loki they gave me had off-centered knobs. This one is perfect.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #296 of 1,011
Oh my, that looks sloppy as hell, and you’ve sent that pic to Schiit?
Yup - sent that EXACT photo to Schiit. Their response (this time quoted from the e-mail they sent me after 2+ weeks of no response, although Christmas was in the middle):
"I'm sorry but the volume knobs fall under our range of what is normal and acceptable for the Loki. It is not eligible for an exchange."

My translation: Loki is inexpensive, so when you buy cheap - do not expect high quality.

My personal opinion is Schiit should charge a little more, and use that money for better knobs and better QC. People that pay $149 would pay $169 for better quality!

Jan 22, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #297 of 1,011
Yup - sent that EXACT photo to Schiit. Their response (this time quoted from the e-mail they sent me after 2+ weeks of no response, although Christmas was in the middle):
"I'm sorry but the volume knobs fall under our range of what is normal and acceptable for the Loki. It is not eligible for an exchange."

My translation: Loki is inexpensive, so when you buy cheap - do not expect high quality.

My personal opinion is Schiit should charge a little more, and use that money for better knobs and better QC. People that pay $149 would pay $169 for better quality!

And I'm guessing by the time you sent that pic, it must have been past the 15-day return-for-any reason (after 15% restocking fee, though) period? :-/

Jan 22, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #298 of 1,011
And I'm guessing by the time you sent that pic, it must have been past the 15-day return-for-any reason (after 15% restocking fee, though) period? :-/
Actually, no. But by the time they answered - it was past the 21-day mark...

Anyhow - good news!
Since pushing the knobs in did not work - I tried a suggestion by @technobear :
First, I pulled all 4 knobs out a little bit, then pushed all 4 together against my desktop surface. Bingo! Now all 4 are at the same length. I should have come up with that solution myself! :angry:
Still wish the knobs were of better quality... hopefully Schiit is listening, and will come up with much better knobs for next (Jot / Bimby sized) Loki.

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #299 of 1,011
Actually, no. But by the time they answered - it was past the 21-day mark...

Anyhow - good news!
Since pushing the knobs in did not work - I tried a suggestion by @technobear :
First, I pulled all 4 knobs out a little bit, then pushed all 4 together against my desktop surface. Bingo! Now all 4 are at the same length. I should have come up with that solution myself! :angry:
Still wish the knobs were of better quality... hopefully Schiit is listening, and will come up with much better knobs for next (Jot / Bimby sized) Loki.
Nice! Maybe you can insert some spacers into the knobs that go in further, to more permanently align them.

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #300 of 1,011
Nice! Maybe you can insert some spacers into the knobs that go in further, to more permanently align them.
I seriously doubt it would move. Needed to apply a little bit of force to pull them out / push back in.
I think I am good now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back