Loki Mini Impressions
Dec 25, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #256 of 1,011
This really sucks. I was just going to pull the trigger on this but it won't work with my current configuration and it isn't going to change either. Please confirm I'm correct in my statement or if there a work around with?........
PC>Mimby>SYS>LYR2>Jot
If The Loki sits between DAC and amp, the SYS taking that slot already. The SYS is full obviously and wouldn't that be where the Loki would hook up into? I also still want the capabilities to be able to swap between amps when I want to without tearing my gear apart. Clear up my head if I'm wrong in my thought process and comfort my crushed feelings if I'm dead in the water.

So the sys allows you to branch to either Lyr ir Jot, right? If so, go from Mimby to Loki, then to Sys, then out to Lyr/Jot as normal. Complex, but cool!

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #257 of 1,011
@koover that's quite a daisy chain! I don't own most of those components, and don't know if it matters to ask "Lyr or Lyr 2?", but it seems to me you can insert the Loki Mini between the Mimby and the SYS if I'm understanding how it branches from there.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #258 of 1,011
So the sys allows you to branch to either Lyr ir Jot, right? If so, go from Mimby to Loki, then to Sys, then out to Lyr/Jot as normal. Complex, but cool!
:face_palm: Actually quite simple. As you said, just remove the RCA's from the back of the Mimby to SYS and replace with RCA's from Mimby>Loki>SYS> L2 >Jot. Don't know where my mind went. Getting old I guess.
Yes, the SYS lets me control both amps with a simple push of a button on it's front panel and inputting the HP cable into either amp at any given moment. Very cool for A/B'ing tracks, HP's, tubes, etc. Love it!

@koover that's quite a daisy chain! I don't own most of those components, and don't know if it matters to ask "Lyr or Lyr 2?", but it seems to me you can insert the Loki Mini between the Mimby and the SYS if I'm understanding how it branches from there.
Thanks man! It's a LYR2. You're correct in it's branching. I guess I just went brain dead for a few moments. Thanks to you both for clearing up my momentary lapse of reasoning!

Dec 25, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #259 of 1,011
:face_palm: Actually quite simple. As you said, just remove the RCA's from the back of the Mimby to SYS and replace with RCA's from Mimby>Loki>SYS> L2 >Jot. Don't know where my mind went. Getting old I guess.
Yes, the SYS lets me control both amps with a simple push of a button on it's front panel and inputting the HP cable into either amp at any given moment. Very cool for A/B'ing tracks, HP's, tubes, etc. Love it!

Thanks man! It's a LYR2. You're correct in it's branching. I guess I just went brain dead for a few moments. Thanks to you both for clearing up my momentary lapse of reasoning!

Lol, s’ok. I actually do the same thing, kinda, but the two end branches of my chain are the magni 3 and vali 2... loki sits right after my modi 2 uber...

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #260 of 1,011

No worries. Adding a Jot to the discussion here confused the heck out of me just the other day.

Best that I keep my Schiit stoopid simple. My main lineup still looks pretty much like it did back on page 12:

10021005.jpg

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #261 of 1,011
This really sucks. I was just going to pull the trigger on this but it won't work with my current configuration and it isn't going to change either. Please confirm I'm correct in my statement or if there a work around with?........
PC>Mimby>SYS>LYR2>Jot
If The Loki sits between DAC and amp, the SYS taking that slot already. The SYS is full obviously and wouldn't that be where the Loki would hook up into? I also still want the capabilities to be able to swap between amps when I want to without tearing my gear apart. Clear up my head if I'm wrong in my thought process and comfort my crushed feelings if I'm dead in the water.

You can put the Loki before or after the SYS with out issues I believe. Probably depend heavily on how you're using the SYS and how you want the Loki to effect the devices attached to the SYS.

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #262 of 1,011
The SYS is hooked up backwards with the POT maxed. I use it to control both amps for whichever I want to use. Can it be compatible hooking up Loki while still maintaining control of both amps?

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #263 of 1,011
The SYS is hooked up backwards with the POT maxed. I use it to control both amps for whichever I want to use. Can it be compatible hooking up Loki while still maintaining control of both amps?

Yes, just put the Loki before the SYS. The Loki has a bypass switch and it completely removes itself from the chain when engaged.

Dec 26, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #264 of 1,011

That’s the way mine is...

Jan 3, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #265 of 1,011
I too try to keep my Bimby>Jotunheim setup as pure as possible however since purchasing the Loki I have softened my view on Equalizers. Using my HD650's I apply the Loki extremely modestly but just enough to give my HD650 a smidchen more high frequency and a tiny bit more sub bass. To me it still sounds like an HD650 but slightly tailored and more enjoyable to my ears (TMEs). I love the defeat/EQ engaged switch to be able to do quick comparisons.

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #266 of 1,011
I am considering a Loki Mini as an addition to my set up. After reading the thread I have a couple of questions.

I have seen several comments about where to put the four EQ levels for specific makes and models of headphones. Back in the old days when I was EQing a home system, you had to EQ to the recording levels of the album you were playing, not the speakers. Can someone explain that one to me, please.

If in fact the Loki can cure new headphone wanderlust by making you fall back in love with your current headphones every time you tweak the settings, it seems like a no brainer for the cost.

Also, I have seen a few for sale posts for Loki's. Does the novelty wear off of it or is it a must have part of your headphone setup?

Thanks for your comments.

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #267 of 1,011
I am considering a Loki Mini as an addition to my set up. After reading the thread I have a couple of questions.

I have seen several comments about where to put the four EQ levels for specific makes and models of headphones. Back in the old days when I was EQing a home system, you had to EQ to the recording levels of the album you were playing, not the speakers. Can someone explain that one to me, please.

If in fact the Loki can cure new headphone wanderlust by making you fall back in love with your current headphones every time you tweak the settings, it seems like a no brainer for the cost.

Also, I have seen a few for sale posts for Loki's. Does the novelty wear off of it or is it a must have part of your headphone setup?

Thanks for your comments.

My 50p...

Loki is a permanent part of my setup. I have several sets of cans, each of which uses different loki settings, which means that I try to get the headphones as neutral as possible (perhaps with some personal preferences dialled in), and try to hear what the artist intended (as opposed to eq-ing each album. But hey, nothing wrong with that, either, Loki is a wonderful gadget (no pun or other Schiit reference there) that invites experimentation.

J

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #268 of 1,011
Same here, I always use the Loki with my HD800 on fixed positions. For my NH it depends, sometimes on sometimes off. I’m still in the market for a “normal” sized Loki :.)

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #269 of 1,011
Same here, I always use the Loki with my HD800 on fixed positions. For my NH it depends, sometimes on sometimes off. I’m still in the market for a “normal” sized Loki :.)
Ever since my new Gumby got installed in my system, I can no longer use the Loki mini. All my amps have XLR inputs and I'm going to use them, so Loki gets put back in its box. #So Sad. I sure hope Schiit has a balanced Loki box in our future say in the Jotunheim form factor.

Cheers All

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #270 of 1,011
Ever since my new Gumby got installed in my system, I can no longer use the Loki mini. All my amps have XLR inputs and I'm going to use them, so Loki gets put back in its box. #So Sad. I sure hope Schiit has a balanced Loki box in our future say in the Jotunheim form factor.

Cheers All
Hopefully, a new Loki in Jot form factor would also match Jot build quality...
I own the Loki Mini, and I am NOT impressed by Schiit QC / build quality. Every knob is at different length :anguished:
That is NOT the first Schiit product I own, but definitely the schittiest build quality / quality control...
I did contact Schiit, BTW, and their response is that as far as they're concerned - nothing is wrong with it (I did attach photos that clearly show the visual eye sore issue).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back