Loki Mini Impressions
Jan 22, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #273 of 1,011
I did contact Schiit, BTW, and their response is that as far as they're concerned - nothing is wrong with it (I did attach photos that clearly show the visual eye sore issue).
Mmm, strange response. Depending on how old your Loki was they could have proposed a switch, just to be client friendly. On the other hand, that could backfire with massive exchange request tho my Loki is fine. Then again, they could at least acknowledge your findings although it doesnt affect the working of the device. Or is that bad for business?

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #274 of 1,011
Mmm, strange response. Depending on how old your Loki was they could have proposed a switch, just to be client friendly. On the other hand, that could backfire with massive exchange request tho my Loki is fine. Then again, they could at least acknowledge your findings although it doesnt affect the working of the device. Or is that bad for business?
I bought it in Dec. 2017, and been e-mailing Schiit since before Christmas! Took them 2+ weeks (and 2 reminders by me) to even respond...
I never had issues with Schiit before (this is my 4th Schiit product), but would be VERY hesitant to purchase Schiit products in the future.

One disappointed Schiit customer here :frowning2:

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #275 of 1,011
I bought it in Dec. 2017, and been e-mailing Schiit since before Christmas! Took them 2+ weeks (and 2 reminders by me) to even respond...
I never had issues with Schiit before (this is my 4th Schiit product), but would be VERY hesitant to purchase Schiit products in the future.

Care to share pics of your issues?

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #276 of 1,011

Mine is a wee bit wonky at all balls as well, but i leave it the way i used it, so am not bothered.

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #277 of 1,011

Can we assume that you realise the knobs just push onto their shafts?

Are they all pushed fully home?

It's a relatively easy thing to line them up.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #278 of 1,011
Care to share pics of your issues?
Will do later today.

Can we assume that you realise the knobs just push onto their shafts?

Are they all pushed fully home?

It's a relatively easy thing to line them up.
That is what I thought, too. they're all pushed fully home (and are at different lengths)... Thinking about it - maybe the solution is to pull a little out all of them, and then push until first one "hits home" against a table top surface. Keeping them all at that length... hmmm.... Will try that when I get home this evening and report back!

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #280 of 1,011
Here is a top-view that shows my cosmetic dissatisfaction:

Loki.JPG

I know it is NOT a huge deal, but many (most?) of us are a little OCD / perfectionist in this hobby...

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #281 of 1,011
Here is a top-view that shows my cosmetic dissatisfaction:

I know it is NOT a huge deal, but many (most?) of us are a little OCD / perfectionist in this hobby...

It does look quite unsightly.

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #283 of 1,011
I love my Loki! With the HPs I'm using now, the M1060s, it's a permanent part of my system. I spent months experimenting with dozens of mod combinations to get them sounding as good as I thought I could get them on their own. Then, I added the Loki. It was the icing on the cake. It brought out what simple modding couldn't obtain. I was amazed at how the few eq adjustments just opened up the sound on these for me. And the bass, oh the bass! These planar HPs take eq-ing so well. You get just what you're hoping to get. But, that's not always the case.

I also experimented with some AKG Q701s, Senn HD598s and HiFiMan 400i's. (Gen 2) I was able to eq the top end down some on the Q701s which I think is needed, kicked the bass up a little, but I didn't feel like it did all that much for them, sound wise. The sound is still colored, to me. I've always liked the way the HD598s sounded, a bit laid back, slow, and could listen to them for "background " listening all day. I felt the bass needed the most help. But when trying to eq it up some, all it did was make the anemic base sound even worse. Yuck. So being planars, I had high expectations for the 400i's. Especially the bass, cause I felt the rest of the spectrum was pretty good. I couldn't get that bass to sound right on them either. I finally gave up and and went back to the M1060s ..... OH yeah! There it is! They sound near perfect to me. I can't detect anything I'd like to change or hear differently on them. I can't take them off my head now!

For those who might have the M1060s, I have the 20Hz at ~2:30, the 400Hz at ~10:30, the 2K at 0, and the 8K at ~1:30. Maybe I can get a pic.

Oh, with the higher gain on the 20Hz, l reduced the 400Hz to keep the bass from bleeding into the lower midrange. It seemed to work perfectly. But the sub-bass rocks!

IMG_0876.JPG

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #284 of 1,011
That’s just plain awful. For comparision...

IMG_1247.JPG

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #285 of 1,011
My Modi 2 is perfect. Loki mini is quite under par with off-centre knobs and a channel imbalance when the 3rd knob is used.
It as if the Loki is a Monday morning product
I also have good previous experience with Schiit (Modi 2, Fulla, Jot), and this is the first sub-par product (QC wise).

That’s just plain awful. For comparision...
Yeah - look MUCH better!

I am glad, in general, that I am not getting "you're a troll" or "Schiit hater go home" type responses :wink:
I really do like Schiit product line, especially the Jot. Was my first mid-fi (above $200) amp... Still use it...

Just to emphasize again - despite the disappointing way it looks (quality wise), it works very well. I might upgrade to a Jot-sized "Loki Uber" if/when it comes out...
I would have gladly paid $20-30 extra for better build quality and especially better knobs (like the amazing volume knob from Rupert Neve's headphone amp. This volume knob is so much fun to use).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back