Loki Mini Impressions
Dec 9, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #241 of 1,011
I received my Loki this week: i tested it with my Violectric dac and amp and Sony Z1r.
It feel a little light in hand but the potentiometers and switch are sturdy.
At first i checked it to find if adding loki in the signal path would negatively affect the sound: i was worried about detail, transparency and soundstage but my system don't seems to be affected (to me)by any loss.
Now the adjustment; the problem that i wanted to solve was a certain slowness in the rhythm i experienced on some songs with a lot of bass: with great surprise with a minimum of adjustment at mid bass and bass i obtained the result maintaining at the same time the character of the headphones.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #242 of 1,011
Love my Loki mini. I use it with my Th900 and HD660S. In case Schiit is listening, consider me another customer for whom an uber Loki with balanced in/out in a gungnir-width chassis would be a definite purchase.

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #243 of 1,011
Love my Loki mini. I use it with my Th900 and HD660S. In case Schiit is listening, consider me another customer for whom an uber Loki with balanced in/out in a gungnir-width chassis would be a definite purchase.
That would be nice and while you at it....make me an Asgard 2 sized unit with 2 extra knobs :.)

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #244 of 1,011
One vote for a Loki with balanced connectors from me too: i would one for my speaker setup.

Dec 11, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #245 of 1,011
Would also like an XLR connector version, for my Gustard X20U DAC/H10 amp combo. Would be nice to have a few more bands as well, or the ability to have more choice in frequency for each band, like say a 3 position toggle switch for each knob .

Did simple, easy mod to my Loki...couldn't take the stock LED intensity or look:
i-n732Vf3-X4.jpg

6 layers of Kapton tape over the LED...1/8" punch used to cut the circle out. Much better match to the LED on my Gustard H10s now:

i-QK6STCk-X4.jpg

Still need to wrap the LED with a layer or two of Kapton tape for full effect - to get rid of that harsh light bleeding through the knob holes...

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #246 of 1,011
Hi All....In need of some guidance/help please

Apologies for not being able to think this one out on my own but would a Loki work well together with a Jotenheim? Would someone walk me through it connection wise and how it would be the main out for my headphones etc?>

Thank you very much indeed!

Cheers :)

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #247 of 1,011

Apologies for not being able to think this one out on my own but would a Loki work well together with a Jotenheim? Would someone walk me through it connection wise and how it would be the main out for my headphones etc?>

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #248 of 1,011

The Loki would sit between your DAC and your Jotunheim. The Loki has only single-ended (RCA) inputs and outputs, so you would connect it to the Jotunheim "SE IN" jacks. If you only use balanced headphones and amps, perhaps it would be better to wait for a possible "Loki Maxi" that may include balanced features. Some say it is a myth that balanced headphones are better. I have no opinion on that.

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #249 of 1,011
The Loki would sit between your DAC and your Jotunheim. The Loki has only single-ended (RCA) inputs and outputs, so you would connect it to the Jotunheim "SE IN" jacks. If you only use balanced headphones and amps, perhaps it would be better to wait for a possible "Loki Maxi" that may include balanced features. Some say it is a myth that balanced headphones are better. I have no opinion on that.

Thank you kindly for your reply. The Jotenheim is a one-stop shop with phenomenal value as a headphone + DAC amplifier. Even as that stands, There are free RCA connectors on the rear so would this work, as in would it work DEFINITELY?!

Much Appreciated :)

Dec 18, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #250 of 1,011

Thank you kindly for your reply. The Jotenheim is a one-stop shop with phenomenal value as a headphone + DAC amplifier. Even as that stands, There are free RCA connectors on the rear so would this work, as in would it work DEFINITELY?!

If you are using the Jot as both Dac and Amp (digital in, headphone plugged in front) then this will not work. It will only work when you have separate components.

Dec 18, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #251 of 1,011

Thanks @bzzzt, I was about to correct my original post to say it will only work with headphones if the Jot is used with another DAC. If used with only a Jot, the Loki can only EQ the Pre Out signal to an amplifier. I keep forgetting the Jot is an all-in-one. I think I'm going to stop answering questions about stuff I don't have right in front of me. Sorry @Share2Care.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #253 of 1,011
Could you use a pair of 1/4"->RCA adapters and go Jot headphone out->adapter->Loki->adapter->headphones?
Kind of a convoluted way to do it and probably not ideal, but I imagine that would work.

Loki is not intended for amplified signals. I don't think the manufacturer would recommend that.

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #254 of 1,011
Thanks @bzzzt, I was about to correct my original post to say it will only work with headphones if the Jot is used with another DAC. If used with only a Jot, the Loki can only EQ the Pre Out signal to an amplifier. I keep forgetting the Jot is an all-in-one. I think I'm going to stop answering questions about stuff I don't have right in front of me. Sorry @Share2Care.

I certainly appreciate your help. I asked a question followed by an answer that I really was expecting to receive as the Jot is unique as all things lol.

Cheers:)

Upgrade time lol

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #255 of 1,011
This really sucks. I was just going to pull the trigger on this but it won't work with my current configuration and it isn't going to change either. Please confirm I'm correct in my statement or if there a work around with?........
PC>Mimby>SYS>LYR2>Jot
If The Loki sits between DAC and amp, the SYS taking that slot already. The SYS is full obviously and wouldn't that be where the Loki would hook up into? I also still want the capabilities to be able to swap between amps when I want to without tearing my gear apart. Clear up my head if I'm wrong in my thought process and comfort my crushed feelings if I'm dead in the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back