Livewires - California Dreamin'
May 12, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #2,327 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're Here

Congratulations, FMT.

Quote:

I think the Pico is overkill for them, volume has to be really low!

Agreed, but you'll find that the way with so many amps with the LWs - you can get used to little volume play.

Quote:

Fit: right ear = perfect, left ear = crap, but can I be bothered sending them back? Gah

Define 'crap'.

Plus, as you've heard us all state before, give 'em some time for your ear to adjust to them. I admit my second set's right ear fit was far less than the nice tight left fit when I first got them. But the right ear seal came consistently good after a couple of weeks.

If it's really loose then you have a problem (or you're not quite getting them in right, which I doubt with your level of experience with them nowadays). If it's just feels loose in comparison to a 'perfect' right fit but is, in reality, only slightly loose, then there may be a hope without the need for a further return.

May 12, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #2,329 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The channel imbalance is caused by your amp volume knob at the very low reaches of volume - almost every one of my small portable amps does that, except my Predator has the least imbalance down low because low gain is 1:1 gain.

The D2 plays pretty loud in low gain, as does the Pico, and so until I get to be fairly loud I can hear one channel louder than the other (usually balanced by volume at 9 o'clock where 0 volume is 7 o'clock). This is why I invested in a few Shure volume attenuators to keep with my portable amps. A small 3-4mm rotation of the Shure volume control will bring the efficiency of the LW down enough to both eliminate hiss with most sources, and to allow the amp volume knob to get above the imbalanced range.

I don't know about the rest of the sound, but if it doesn't change in the first 24-48 hours it probably wont.

surprisingly I don't get any hiss out of my amp on low gain... but yeah the imbalance isn't a very big deal to me. I was listenin to my livewires last night and they weren't too bad. but they feel very weird to me, if they are too far in my ear or too sealed, the sound doesn't improve, i don't get it. I would also get better sound when I would tilt my head back 45 degrees, it would open up something. idk...

May 12, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #2,330 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@stevenkelby: is there any way you could make a cable with a volume knob on it without hurting the sound quality? I'd think it'd be as easy as inserting a variable resistor in-line right? and if you turn the resistance down to zero (full volume) any change in sound would probably be un-noticeable?

Hi, Sorry for the delay!

Yes, it would be possible, would just have to find a good pot, and good pots are expensive and bulky. A small cheap one would probably sound poor. Although the pots in the Pico and Predator are good quality, they would available I guess.

Message me in a couple weeks if you're still keen and I'll look into it!

I have ordered the connectors for Livewires, they can be soldered to the cable. The opening is for any cable with OD 3.1mm, although there are ways to use a bigger cable if needed, I'm sure.

I'll post back here when I get them, and have worked out the price. It's looking like less than $5 each/ $10 a pair. Postage worldwide will be like $2.

I have an appointment to get impressions redone Friday night, wasn't happy with the 1st ones.

May 12, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #2,331 of 3,902
I still love mine. I get a pretty good seal at times. If i put a thin coat of saliva on each stem, and push them they seal very well, but i loose it in a short space of time.

Today i cranked mach3bass up to 10 on my D2, and played with virtual surround sound option, and stereo increase. Stereo increase brings vocals frontward more, i only like it on 1/2 out of 6, and surround makes them sound fuller. I have 10 on the bass setting with no loss in mids/highs, and extra punch in the bass. Surround is fun on anything betwee 2-8/10 and stereo increase is good, but low, at 1/6.

The d2 settings and its awesome features are great with the AMAZING livewires....I have best of both worlds, subsonic thumping, deep, controlled bass, and still great highs/mids!

U control USB dac with internal amp is great with iem's, and gives me RCA in and out, headphone out, and optical out aswell, all volume controlled! There are so many uses for this amazing device.

Now, home headphone for u control, so easy to drive would be good. What is most like the LW's on a low low budget? SR60's? Would there be enough bass, and good highs like the LW's without eq on the laptop and U control?

Tiyako, try the d2's sound settings unamped like i am, even more amazing bass with no colouration/loss in highs/mids! I thought i was a purist, as these sounded so great allround out of the box, but the bass is even more! Not crazy, but when the song offers/needs deep punch, the livewires can do it, and the settings make the bass even punchier, but everything else is JUST as good at the time, and when there is a less bassy track, it is just as it was with M3B turned down to 0! Must try it!

May 12, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #2,332 of 3,902
Just received my Livewires today...and so far I have my concerns. I'm coming from the Triple-Fi's and I find the high end completing lacking compared to the TFi's. The sound to me is veiled. Do these need break in time? Is this normal?

On the positive side though, the isolation and comfort is second to none. My Triple-fi's fall out pretty easily. These take about 3 minutes to take out.

May 12, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #2,333 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunk7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my Livewires today...and so far I have my concerns. I'm coming from the Triple-Fi's and I find the high end completing lacking compared to the TFi's. The sound to me is veiled. Do these need break in time? Is this normal?

On the positive side though, the isolation and comfort is second to none. My Triple-fi's fall out pretty easily. These take about 3 minutes to take out.

It must be normal because Elluzion had the same post in this or last page
smily_headphones1.gif

Although I won't go into armatures breaking in or something, they do sound better after a day or two.

May 12, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #2,334 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunk7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Kosmic says that you need to burn them in first. Look at this post for detailed info.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/liv...ml#post3296426

May 12, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #2,335 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It must be normal because Elluzion had the same post in this or last page
smily_headphones1.gif

Although I won't go into armatures breaking in or something, they do sound better after a day or two.

again, what I have read is that armatures don't really break in. they are how they are. As i said before, don't count on break in to make these headphones shine......

May 12, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #2,336 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
again, what I have read is that armatures don't really break in. they are how they are. As i said before, don't count on break in to make these headphones shine......

Although they don't break in, your mind will - in my experience anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #2,337 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although they don't break in, your mind will - in my experience anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

ur messin with my head aren't ya? lol

May 13, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #2,338 of 3,902
Ok

Right ear has a fantastic seal, sounds awesome.

Left ear is really loose, no seal, despite how hard i try to push them in, it makes a small seal, then 'pops' out. Isolation then in left ear is really bad, I can hear stuff like velcro, keys, people talking.

So the only thing I can think of is maybe a redip?

May 13, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #2,339 of 3,902
Quote:

Ok

Right ear has a fantastic seal, sounds awesome.

Left ear is really loose, no seal, despite how hard i try to push them in, it makes a small seal, then 'pops' out. Isolation then in left ear is really bad, I can hear stuff like velcro, keys, people talking.

So the only thing I can think of is maybe a redip?

Yeah, a redip.

It's strange, though, that it's still like this after so much effort. (and, no doubt, frustrating for you
mad.gif
).

If a redip doesn't work I think Aussie HeadFi-ers will have to pass the hat around and send both your Livewires and you over to John Diles to get it right.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #2,340 of 3,902
With all these re-fits, I'm thinking of going back to old stomping grounds: ER4S with a new portable amp.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back