Livewires - California Dreamin'
Sep 27, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #92 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rav, you are a livewire hero once again! I got it in, and didn't I know about it. My parents were laughing at me when I couldn't get the damn thing out, saying it looks like we are taking you to A&E to get them out. I took about 4 minutes getting them out haha!!

The key was to try to get that point you circled in first, it's still a procedure but at least I know it's not the fit. I will have to practice this and master it
wink.gif

cheers again Rav

Hehe, don't worry, took me some time to work out the best procedure for insertion and extraction as well. I do it similar to you i think, sort of nussle the top tip in first, then push the bit that goes into the canal, and then pop the round bit at the bottom right in. It helps if you put them in with your mouth open, as it straightens the ear canal, and don't be afraid to pull your ear around a bit either.

Just practise when no one is watching before doing it in public
tongue.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #93 of 3,902
Oh man now I have figured out how to get them in perfectly (the blue one is easier than the red now, because it has a bigger angle to go under the flap), I seriously struggle to get them out. I had it stuck in for 15 minutes, and no matter what I tried I couldn't get it out. The problem is getting a grip on them, so you can rotate it, but when they are that deep in your ear you can't
frown.gif
and also pulling them out would so some damage.... I wish Kosmic way would work for me too!

It's my first day of uni tomorrow, and I don't want to have them stuck in from listening on the train and not being able to get them out for the meeting haha! God I would be crapping my pants. I think maybe I should try not getting them in perfect instead :p

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #94 of 3,902
Quote:

Oh man now I have figured out how to get them in perfectly (the blue one is easier than the red now, because it has a bigger angle to go under the flap), I seriously struggle to get them out. I had it stuck in for 15 minutes, and no matter what I tried I couldn't get it out. The problem is getting a grip on them, so you can rotate it, but when they are that deep in your ear you can't
frown.gif
and also pulling them out would so some damage.... I wish Kosmic way would work for me too!

Lol! I'm glad you've fixed it. When I first got mine in I was afraid to take them out....there was so much suction I thought my brains would come out with my eardrums!
k1000smile.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #95 of 3,902
Alien Ear Livewires Removal Technique

AlienEar.jpg

The X marks where your pivot point should be. Take your left thumb under your ear flap marked by the red arrow and locate that point. Press around until you can feel the tip or try and get as close as you can to it. This is where you need to experiment to see which direction (up, away, forward) you need to push to get them out. You may need to push harder....don't worry, your ear won't fall off!

The best time to try this technique to get the hang of it, is when your ears are hot after listening for a good while. Hot wax helps with the expulsion.
icon10.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #96 of 3,902
Ok Kosmic, will give that a shot. hope it works
wink.gif
Having a break from them atm, because I fiddled around too much and my ear canal is a little sore and swollen from all the pushing in and out
frown.gif
I hope no permanent damage has been done! I will leave my ears a few days and see how they recover.

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #97 of 3,902
On the Alien ear it looks like the IEM is not inserted correctly. If you see the shell like so it not in all the way. I have black face plates. In the beginning If I saw red or blue ( the shells) I knew I did not insert them correctly.

Sep 29, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #98 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosmic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alien Ear Livewires Removal Technique

The X marks where your pivot point should be. Take your left thumb under your ear flap marked by the red arrow and locate that point...<snip>

The position of the x is where i reach in to remove mine, except i go from the outside, and get my thumb (a bit of a thumbnail helps) inbetween the earpiece and the ear, with my finger on the outside of the earpiece. Then it's just a case of one easy pull and they're out.

Edit: Either the OP has altered the image, or i had a major brain fart, cos i swear the x was in a different place
blink.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #99 of 3,902
Ok Rav, I had an experiment with my right ear and I found your technique the best, pulling my ear out and then twisting/pulling the x spot and using my finger to hold the outer part (works quite well, but the suction is high haha
wink.gif
). I'm having problems now with the right ear and getting it under the flap, I have a small flap it seems, and a small part to fit under the flap so it's quite awkward.

My left ear is taking a break for now
biggrin.gif
which seems easier to get in. Has anyone else experienced a sore canal because of messing around with IEM too much? I'm going to rest them for about 3 days, I hope it's long enough to recover. Because it's quite sore to touch, and not so comfortable to lay on
frown.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #101 of 3,902
I have been using them quite a lot the past week, because I'm making a few journeys to London a week. So have been using them for about 3-4 hours a day. They are so comfortable to wear for all that time, and I now get them in within about 5 seconds, and it doesn't take much longer to get them out. They are so good, on the train they do block a lot, even when listening to quiet ambient/classical music there is still a lot of ambient noise blocked out on the train. The only thing I find that is on the right ear, it slightly fits less deep in the ear (not the canal portion, but the bit near the plate). I don't notice any sound difference, or isolation (so I don't want to mess with adjustment etc). Because it only seems to be affected when I'm rushing around (but most the time I use them I'm sitting on the train, so not to worried), or eating lol (is when I notice it isn't such a deep fit). Also really nice to listen to louder/heavier music like nadja, they do sound great! Generally using the X5L at about half the volume (6-8) I was before with my e2c, and 1/3 of the volume I was with earbuds
biggrin.gif

Definately worth the money. Did you decide whether or not to send them for adjustment rav? I think it would just be an ongoing procedure if I decided to do that, ie having to send multiple times (because it's not like we can just go in, and let them do it for us to try on site lol) and I don't notice any difference in comfort or isolation so I'm happy
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #102 of 3,902
Still not decided yet. I've noticed that my jaw, or something close to it, moves around more on the right side of my head than my left. If i put my hand just in front of my right ear i can feel *something* move forwards about a centimetre when i open my mouth wide. Not sure if it's a tendon, muscle ot what, but it's above the jaw. Left side doesn't seem to do it
blink.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #103 of 3,902
I'm just back from some trips abroad, four long car journeys, four flights, the Live wires rock for portable listening. They have transformed my usual tiring, boring trips into a good experience. I didn't realise how much ambient noise we have to endure during flights until I took the Livewires out. The constant noise must be physically wearing. I was able to sleep and wake refreshed listening to my favourite relaxation albums.

I've noticed the Livewires need about 5-10 minutes warm up. The volume increases and the sound fills as they do. Burning these ear phones have made a difference....I think there's more to come also...I'm going to fry them some more this week.
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #104 of 3,902
Quote:

They are so comfortable to wear for all that time, and I now get them in within about 5 seconds, and it doesn't take much longer to get them out...The only thing I find that is on the right ear, it slightly fits less deep in the ear (not the canal portion, but the bit near the plate). I don't notice any sound difference, or isolation (so I don't want to mess with adjustment etc). Because it only seems to be affected when I'm rushing around (but most the time I use them I'm sitting on the train, so not to worried)

Same here, e-x-a-c-t-l-y. Some time for ears to adjust has helped but right is still only good for sitting still. Walking, looking around, etc and loses seal.
frown.gif
Unless I harvest some further advice from this or other threads I suspect they'll need to be returned for some adjustment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still not decided yet. I've noticed that my jaw, or something close to it, moves around more on the right side of my head than my left. If i put my hand just in front of my right ear i can feel *something* move forwards about a centimetre when i open my mouth wide. Not sure if it's a tendon, muscle ot what, but it's above the jaw. Left side doesn't seem to do it
blink.gif

I also have more flexibility on the right side of my jaw area than my left. Don't ask me why, either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosmic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't realise how much ambient noise we have to endure during flights until I took the Livewires out. The constant noise must be physically wearing. I was able to sleep and wake refreshed listening to my favourite relaxation albums.

I've noticed the Livewires need about 5-10 minutes warm up. The volume increases and the sound fills as they do. Burning these ear phones have made a difference....I think there's more to come also...I'm going to fry them some more this week.
tongue.gif

Even when sealed I don't find Livewires isolation to be as good as Shure biflanges (i.e. modified triflanges) on my UM2s. But it is good enough to block out ore reduce a good amount of ambient noise. Agree with burn in and understand what you're referring to as 'warm-up': I think it's more about the physical items settling their seal with the ear than the drivers improving performance in those initial minutes.

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #105 of 3,902
Hmmmm it seems the ones on here, all have a small issue with the right ear
biggrin.gif
and not the left lol. The thing I wondered is; how can they adjust them and know where the exact problem is? I mean, it must be a difficult task to adjust without taking too much away and them being a loose fit completely?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back