Livewires - California Dreamin'
Sep 26, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #61 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm on the fence about these since some accounts seem to make them sound like the highs are rolled off/veiled. maybe something like the um2? is that what most of you guys have noticed? i'm a treble-head and love bright headphones but of course also love deep bass. i ended up ditching the um2 because the highs were too veiled for my tastes even though i used etymotic tips that were cut down to double flange.

I thought it was actually the opposite (they are more bright and detailed than warm)? Or maybe I am remembering wrong...

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #62 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they provide as much satisfaction for you as your Sennheiser HD650 and Grado SR 325i?

They sure do. For a portable rig they are fantastic,there lightweight, very comfortable and they sound almost as good as the senn or grados not to mention the sound isolation. It will be interesting when i get my Xin reference to see how they perform then as although the c&c is a great little amp i think upgrading it will make a noticable difference.

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #63 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sure do. For a portable rig they are fantastic,there lightweight, very comfortable and they sound almost as good as the senn or grados not to mention the sound isolation. It will be interesting when i get my Xin reference to see how they perform then as although the c&c is a great little amp i think upgrading it will make a noticable difference.

Fantastic.

For those that like looking at pretty pictures of these, check this link out. It appears to be a Korean IEM-dedicated website, and they always take very nice, clear, detailed pictures (probably using some expensive DSLR).

550_um_c_09.jpg

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #65 of 3,902
Quote:

I'm sure if someone were to sell cables with a black connector, there'd be some immediate sales.
smily_headphones1.gif

couldn't find black...how about silver? there might be a problem with oxidation though... but what span of possibility out there! it looks like Alex at apuresound may be able to do it. if i wasn't so clueless about cables, i would ask him.
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #66 of 3,902
Quote:

i'm on the fence about these since some accounts seem to make them sound like the highs are rolled off/veiled. maybe something like the um2? is that what most of you guys have noticed? i'm a treble-head and love bright headphones but of course also love deep bass. i ended up ditching the um2 because the highs were too veiled for my tastes even though i used etymotic tips that were cut down to double flange.

kevin, the LWs have less bass and more controlled bass than the UM2s. i think the highs are a bit veiled - they're certainly not in the same league as something like the er4s. fyi, i hated the UM2s. a proper amp might do wonders for the LWs...i've not listened to them with a tomahawk or some other good portable amp, but i don't use an amp for portable listening anymore.

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #67 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kevin, the LWs have less bass and more controlled bass than the UM2s. i think the highs are a bit veiled - they're certainly not in the same league as something like the er4s. fyi, i hated the UM2s. a proper amp might do wonders for the LWs...i've not listened to them with a tomahawk or some other good portable amp, but i don't use an amp for portable listening anymore.

To me, the livewires sound miles better out of a CMoy (fed by my full size CD player) than direct out of my portable CDP. There's less hiss for a start (which doesn't bother me too much in any case), plus the sound is more open, and the highs seem to be more extended. Being balanced armature, it's unlikely they'll ever be as bright as Grados for instance, but i like a bright sound and the livewires work for me. Of course, YMMV.

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #68 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PeterDLai have you noticed that the cable on the westone 3 pics is very similar looking to the livewires especially the y connector and the gold mini plug.

Yes, I learned a long time ago that both EarPeace (LiveWires) and Westone use cables manufactured by a company called Plastics One. It's a nice cable, from what I read... lightweight and less microphonic.

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #69 of 3,902
thanks for the response guys. i'm not expecting them to be as bright as er4s/p or grados but i don't want them if they're as bad as the um2 or sf5p. it sounds like they're not too bad and at that price, it's probably worth trying since most universal iems don't fit my ears well.

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #70 of 3,902
Quote:

thanks for the response guys. i'm not expecting them to be as bright as er4s/p or grados but i don't want them if they're as bad as the um2 or sf5p. it sounds like they're not too bad and at that price, it's probably worth trying since most universal iems don't fit my ears well.

they're nowhere near as bad as the UM2s (can you tell i hated these?
wink.gif
). i'm actually looking forward to trying them with the pico when it comes out...or even getting my hands on someone's tomahawk. i had a PINT that was a bit too noisy for the LWs...

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #71 of 3,902
Quote:

Yes, I learned a long time ago that both EarPeace (LiveWires) and Westone use cables manufactured by a company called Plastics One. It's a nice cable, from what I read... lightweight and less microphonic.

Compared to the cable on the UE super Fi 3s, it's a revalation. Soooo much less intrusive.

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #72 of 3,902
:lol: at the instructions for getting them out, I'm finding better ways to get a nice fit, but I'm starting to have more problems getting them out. Depending on the angle of the plate, if I can get to hold the two sides with the tips of my fingers, I can get them out within a few seconds (the other hand, holding the outer ear and pulling out/up)... but if not, I can get them stuck in and it can take minutes to get them out
frown.gif

I tried that method you reccomend, and it worked once, but not the other times. HA I don't want to have an episode of this when I'm out, getting them stuck for about 5 minutes. Has anyone else figured out ways of getting them out?

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #73 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I tried that method you reccomend, and it worked once, but not the other times.

There's a knack to getting them out, don't give up. This really is the easiest way once you get it right. It's like squeezing a pea from the pod. You have to get your thumb on the right spot. Feel for the edge of the mold under your ear. You have to break the seal first by pushing up and away from your ear. Keep trying until you get it right, and it becomes really easy. If I have to talk to someone I can quickly break the seal without removing them completely.

It's worth the effort, really!
etysmile.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #74 of 3,902
I will keep practicing, because I can barely hear anyone even with the music off (because they are a nice fit).

I seem to have a slightly different seal on each ear, on my right if you pull your ear out, the seal doesn't seem to break (but with the left, it kind of moves a bit in the ear). only when trying to pull them out and breaking the seal do I feel that, but I'm not sure if they do seal on one ear totally; but the key thing is, that they don't feel any different/sound any different when they are in So maybe I'm just being paranoid about the left ear not fitting so well. I read quite a few reports on here about one ear not fitting so well, I got it on my mind
biggrin.gif
Have you noticed any difference in the way the ear feels? Maybe it's something to do with the differen't shape of the canal (but then you would expect the customs to make it the same).

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #75 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but the key thing is, that they don't feel any different/sound any different when they are in So maybe I'm just being paranoid about the left ear not fitting so well. I read quite a few reports on here about one ear not fitting so well, I got it on my mind
biggrin.gif
Have you noticed any difference in the way the ear feels? Maybe it's something to do with the differen't shape of the canal (but then you would expect the customs to make it the same).

It's a mind thing. Wear them everyday and they will eventually disappear. Also try jiggling your jaw around when you first put them in in, that also helps.

Play your most enjoyable music and let it engross you. Take your mind off the phones and allow the music to draw you in.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back