LiveWire Trips or Earsonics SM3?
Jun 23, 2010 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

The Big Sleep

100+ Head-Fier
Im looking to upgrade from my UM3x and Im caught between going for some affordable customs, like the Trips, or importing the renowned SM3's. They both will fall into a relatively close price range, so its a toss up between which will sound better that will determine which I buy. 

Anybody have any suggestions/experience with either of these IEM's that can lend a hand?

Jun 23, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't think anyone has both. I'd also suggest you read the one or two reviews on the Trips and the last 10-20 pages of the appreciation thread. They typically have a very long wait if you buy it from them.

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
I don't think anyone has both. I'd also suggest you read the one or two reviews on the Trips and the last 10-20 pages of the appreciation thread. They typically have a very long wait if you buy it from them.

Read the reviews which is why I was intrigued by them because they were mostly positive. I peruse that thread in the meantime; the SM3s have me worried because of people having construction issues with them and the last thing I need is $400 of broken plastic.

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 8
I got a pair of Livewire Trips through the FS threads and able to get it remolded. Outside of that I would never wait an upward of 2-3 months or more to get a custom. The safer route is the SM3. From all the reports the CS by Earsonics seems to be good and doing returns and such if it breaks seems to not be very difficult. There has only been 2 reported people who have had issues. Keep in mind that if you do not like what you end up buying the SM3 easily has more resell value while the value of the Livewire Trips would go down by 50% minimum the second you decide to sell it while the SM3 would retain most of it's value. However it is a hard comparison since no one has both. If you can get someone to loan me a pair of SM3 then I will gladly make such a comparison when my Livewires are in my possession.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 8
A word on the Live wire wait situation. They had a bad batch of cables aparently, thats what they told me. i ordered the duals 10 weeks ago and have yet to see a return on my 270$ investment : (

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 8

Search returned a pair of Sm3s for damage (or so I remember reading him mention), so that's three people with issues out of not that many total.

Hopefully, earsonics will stay on top of it.

Quote:
I got a pair of Livewire Trips through the FS threads and able to get it remolded. Outside of that I would never wait an upward of 2-3 months or more to get a custom. The safer route is the SM3. From all the reports the CS by Earsonics seems to be good and doing returns and such if it breaks seems to not be very difficult. There has only been 2 reported people who have had issues. Keep in mind that if you do not like what you end up buying the SM3 easily has more resell value while the value of the Livewire Trips would go down by 50% minimum the second you decide to sell it while the SM3 would retain most of it's value. However it is a hard comparison since no one has both. If you can get someone to loan me a pair of SM3 then I will gladly make such a comparison when my Livewires are in my possession.

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #8 of 8
According to a French poster who tried both, the SM3 + earmolds are superior in every way to the EM2-ifi of the same brand while costing a hundred euros less (still with earmolds). So they're likely to be superior to most lower to mid level customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back