Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Feb 7, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #11,401 of 13,432
Thank you for bringing that up....

I always find it entertaining how much people are paying for certain tubes, and how they discuss specific variants of certain tube numbers as if they were fine vintages of wine. Back when tubes were current technology, the whole idea of tube numbers was that tubes were standardized. You went into a store and ordered "a 12AX7", and were handed whatever brand they happened to have in stock. There were a few companies offering "premium tubes", which they claimed were slightly quieter, or otherwise had some desirable characteristic, but they were treated like soda or gasoline.... you might pay an extra few cents a gallon for a bottle of soda, and you might well prefer one brand of gasoline over another, or even be quite sure that one brand "runs better in your car", but imagine if your local store started selling "premium soda" for $25 a liter.... (Bear in mind that, when they were current, a cheap signal tube, like a 12AX7, probably cost $2.... and a really premium 12AX7 might cost 50 cents more.)

The simple reality is that the only difference between different batches of tubes are slight variations in a whole slew of minor details - like electrode spacing, cathode coating, heater temperature, and even vacuum pressure - all of which are supposed to have negligible effect on the actual performance of the tube. And, yes, a slight difference in the inter-electrode capacitance of one version may cause it to sound slightly different in a certain circuit, but that difference will be RANDOM. It's not "better" or "worse" - it's just a tiny bit different. And how that difference affects it's performance will depend on the circuit you use it with.

That last point is the really important one.....

THE FACT THAT A CERTAIN TUBE SOUNDS A CERTAIN WAY IN A CERTAIN PIECE OF EQUIPMENT DOES *NOT* MEAN THAT IT WILL SOUND THE SAME WAY IN A DIFFERENT PIECE OF EQUIPMENT. While it is true that certain characteristics, such as an unusually low inter-electrode capacitance, may tend to make a certain tube sound "a little bright" in several different similar pieces of equipment, that isn't necessarily true. And, more to the point, it may not have the same exact effect in other different pieces of equipment. The idea that a certain tube that sounds wonderful in a certain piece of equipment will sound equally wonderful in a different piece of equipment is a fallacy. At best, with luck, it will sound the same in another of the same exact make and model.... and, even then, it may not. (The sort of differences we're talking about are about the same as the difference between routing a wire between two tubes around one side or the other... and larger and more significant differences may be present in the equipment itself. if you're going to obsess over this level of detail, then we should be discussing whether the wire connecting that driver tube to the output tube has three twists or four between them - and whether those are right twists or left twists.)

And, yes, it is true that certain brands may be more consistent than others, or may share certain specific characteristics, but, again, think different brands of soda, or different brands of gasoline... and NOT expensive wines.

By all means, pick and choose, and find tubes that sound just the way you like in your particular amplifier or preamp, or buy the same ones that sound great in the same model owned by your buddy, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that a particular brand or date of tube, or one with a certain color plate, or a certain shape getter, is somehow vastly superior to another - or that it justifies a huge difference in price. Knowing this also makes the hobby a lot more fun.... because it means that, if you buy a dozen cheap tubes on eBay, that nobody's ever heard of, you may just find one that sounds better in your particular amplifier than one of those uber-expensive ones that you can't afford. (And, after all, it's no fun prospecting for gold if you pay market price for it, right?)

Tubes themselves don't have a "sound". It's the way the amp has been designed to work with a tube type that determines sound output (simply put, all other things being equal).

The 'sound" depends on working conditions such as currents, voltages, impedance and physical construction et al.
This determines the tubes' transfer functions - power dissipated by electrodes changes their temperatures and hence transfer functions.

What matters is how close the electrical parameters of the tube are (especially dependencies of currents on voltages) to what the rig was designed for.
There are no "bad" tubes or "good" tubes.
It all depends on how suitably built (electrical and physical characteristics) a certain tube is for a certain circuit.

Like DAC chips - implementation is a huge part of the success or failure of the design, not just the chip.

And of course then there is the subjective hearing of the listener, who prefers the interaction of a certain tube/amp combo.

I love the way the 6N6P works with my LD MKll - there is a synergy that appeals to my hearing using my cans. YMMV.

This is what makes this hobby such fun!

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #11,402 of 13,432
Getting some fast rhythmical crackling on the right channel with the LD MK2. Sounds like a wood crackling on fire, but somehow with a regular rhythm. Swapped the tubes left-right, changed both pair of tubes, went back also to the stock tubes, always the same. It happens with a volume muted to zero and it doesn't get any louder with the volume up. Any suggestions?

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #11,404 of 13,432
Rhythmic sounds not tied to volume or tube swapping sounds like emi. Is it near any strong digital gear? Do tour signal rcas pass near anything?
Well not exactly. This rhythmical thing comes and goes away. When it comes it's like fast ts, ts, ts, ts....sound. Like a telegraph code. The RCA cable is shielded. Also disconnected completely the RCA, nothing changes. Sometimes it is only short crackle like putting some drops of water on the candle fire. What drives me crazy is that it is not dependent on tubes. Tried all the combinations, like moving to another place and switching phone to flight modus, still crackles.

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #11,405 of 13,432
Well not exactly. This rhythmical thing comes and goes away. When it comes it's like fast ts, ts, ts, ts....sound. Like a telegraph code. The RCA cable is shielded. Also disconnected completely the RCA, nothing changes. Sometimes it is only short crackle like putting some drops of water on the candle fire. What drives me crazy is that it is not dependent on tubes. Tried all the combinations, like moving to another place and switching phone to flight modus, still crackles.
Have recently used an RF meter and found that WiFi routers in paticular have the sort of regular rhythmic frequency you seem to be describing. Is your LD near a Wifi?

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #11,407 of 13,432
At least 6 meters (20 feet) and 2 walls between.
Hi DjB,

It sounds like some kind of interference. There are many sources - appliances, portable phones, fluorescent lights, routers etc etc. Try to think of something that might cause it - not always easy; sometimes a portable phone is the culprit.
You can also try a Faraday cage to shield the tubes. The simplest way is to take some aluminum foil and wrap around the tubes in different positions.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #11,408 of 13,432
Hi DjB,

It sounds like some kind of interference. There are many sources - appliances, portable phones, fluorescent lights, routers etc etc. Try to think of something that might cause it - not always easy; sometimes a portable phone is the culprit.
You can also try a Faraday cage to shield the tubes. The simplest way is to take some aluminum foil and wrap around the tubes in different positions.
My cell phone makes my LDMKIVSE do exactly what you're describing when it's to close (Samsung galaxy s7).

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #11,409 of 13,432
This is very likely caused by RF interference on the circuit (especially the tubes).
If you cannot switch off the nearby appliances (especially routers) to test this, you may consider to bring your LD to some place else and test it again.

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #11,410 of 13,432
Hi DjB,

My cell phone makes my LDMKIVSE do exactly what you're describing when it's to close (Samsung galaxy s7).

This is very likely caused by RF interference on the circuit (especially the tubes).
If you cannot switch off the nearby appliances (especially routers) to test this, you may consider to bring your LD to some place else and test it again.
Thanks a lot mordy, mattrudy80 and gulakpii fo the heads up, really appreciate your advices. I might try to move the LD into another room, the furthest one from the router and see if it still happens. What I still don't understand is that it is only on the right channel. If it is some kind interference shouldn't it affect all tubes equally?

Feb 11, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #11,411 of 13,432
Thanks a lot mordy, mattrudy80 and gulakpii fo the heads up, really appreciate your advices. I might try to move the LD into another room, the furthest one from the router and see if it still happens. What I still don't understand is that it is only on the right channel. If it is some kind interference shouldn't it affect all tubes equally?
One more advice, if you have bad earthing in your electrical circuit this also happens. If you are connecting your dac to a laptop, which is connected via three pin connector this noise can happen. What also happened to me before. So I used a 2 pin extensension to connect my laptop and noise is gone. You can try this also.

Feb 11, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #11,412 of 13,432
Woooo!Eliminating the EARTH/SAFETY GROUND it may cut the ground loop and at the same time you eliminate the grounding in your appliance earth/safety ground without these ground connection you could easily energize the chassis and if you ever touch it while it is energize you are pretty much FU@K.I'am not an Engineer so i could be wrong and it won't be the first time if iam wrong.

Feb 11, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #11,413 of 13,432
Woooo!Eliminating the EARTH/SAFETY GROUND it may cut the ground loop and at the same time you eliminate the grounding in your appliance earth/safety ground without these ground connection you could easily energize the chassis and if you ever touch it while it is energize you are pretty much FU@K.I'am not an Engineer so i could be wrong and it won't be the first time if iam wrong.
Yes I know it is not wise. But in my case I do not have other options.

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #11,414 of 13,432
Thanks everybody for pointing me to the RFI cause. I went with the LD to the basement where there is no wifi reception at all. Have waited and waited and waited...and there was no crackling at all! Pleasing silence. So it must definitely be the RFI.
I am using LD mostly streaming Tidal through Audirvana from MacBook Pro - Chord Mojo feeding LD or streaming hi-rez files stored on the NAS to Audirvana. Both involves heavy duty wifi streaming in the room so the RFI is unavoidable. Now I have 2 options: either to make a Faraday cage and shield the tubes, or just leave it down under in the basement, which is actually a wine cellar :beyersmile:.

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #11,415 of 13,432
Yes I know it is not wise. But in my case I do not have other options.
I have very bad ground loop issues and also live near a major AM radio transmitter which causes the broadcast to be injected into my stereo equipment. I found a HumX made by EBTECH at a local guitar dealer and it fixed 99% of my issues (nice to find local for returns if it doesn't work). They're a bit spendy at $80, but considering the investment I have in all of my audio equipment it was peanuts. I found mine at Guitar Center. They are also sold on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-G...pID=513iD2nS3hL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back