Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Apr 24, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #9,571 of 13,432
If anyone is interested in trying the Lorenz C3g, H1 and I got ours from this listing: 261863163393

The vendor puts 4 tubes up at a time. And after they sell, he puts up 4 more. This has been the pattern for some time now, but of course, I have no idea how long his inventory will last.

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #9,572 of 13,432

-MisterX- makes a very good point.

One can say that almost every output tube will shine in a certain amp, with complimentary drivers/headphones/ears/brains. But on the other hand, I can assure you that the most vaunted and and sought-after tubes do not sound great in every amp or with every headphone, much less, with every set of ears.

So I hope no one goes chasing after one particular tube thinking it is going to be the "The Tube." And don't be too disappointed when the tube you have been fervently chasing arrives and just doesn't sound all that good. Yes, most of these highly esteemed tubes are in fact extremely good, but it can take considerable time and money to assemble all the other pieces necessary to make them truly shine.

SPOT ON g!...I would a add a good smattering of LUCK!...viz. our collective experiences with LDs (as other die-hard members might well attest to!), and mine with the Elise 
beyersmile.png

ps. Thanks for pointing others in the direction of those very reasonably-priced and magnificent gold pin Lorenz C3gs (especially considering what some are trying to charge for not-so-goodlooking tubes!).

@gibosi; @hypnos1

Thanks a lot for the great information. I hope this C3g upgrade will give a significant boost of the LD III's performance. Though I've been using mostly vintage receivers lately, the LD is my first 'serious' head-fi amp and I would not give up on it. Cheers.

I should certainly hope (and expect!) so too, Tom...notwithstanding gibosi's previous wise comments - particularly re. ears (and headphones!). Luckily, a good many experienced members can vouch for the performance of the C3g, over and above my (relentless!) espousing of their virtues...
wink.gif

Happy listening!

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #9,573 of 13,432
Houston,  we HAVE TUBE sound! 

The move is mostly done.   The basement and detached garage moving will stretch out over the summer,  as I find help from time to time.   Not a problem,  as my brother is moving into the old house,  and has no need for that space for some time to come. 

But guess what. 

In bringing out boxes from the basement,  we discovered a SECOND Little Dot MKIII!   I had purchased it used shortly before the illness,  intending to give it to an audio buddy to try out its tubey goodness,  and totally forgotten about it through the little health journey these past 20 months.   I got it hooked up to my desktop system today (PC>>Dragonfly DAC>>LDIII)  and even with the humble Koss KSC75's the sound is sweet!   I am so excited I am doing my limited version of the happy dance! 

There are a few sets of driver tube that came in the deal,  so some limited tube-Rolling is also in my future. 

I'm facing a series of surgeries to try and improve conditions,  so this is going to be a wonderful diversion during recovery periods. 
Who knows,  I may one day even be able to sample some of the more exotic areas y'all have been pioneering. 

I will eventually get to testing out the other amp,  and my buddy may get it at some point. 

I'm just so glad to be an active Little Dot enthusiast again that I had to share! 
WOOOHOOOOO!!! 

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #9,574 of 13,432
Get well soon BGRoberts! I hope you enjoy the LDMKIII just as much as we do with our C3Gs with adapters. This amp is so versatile!

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #9,576 of 13,432
  Anyone can point me in the right direction to DIY the C3G adapter? I can't seem to find it.

Page 544 #8157or Page553 #8295

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #9,578 of 13,432
So, after months of searching for some Chatham 6AS7G's I finally found a pair. Only two though, so I'm trying them out in the MK IVSE. Both light up but only one plays
frown.gif
 Not happy about that. And this was the first time I bought used tubes.

I also got 7 used 5998's on the way for the MK VI+. I hope I get better luck with those. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #9,579 of 13,432
  So, after months of searching for some Chatham 6AS7G's I finally found a pair. Only two though, so I'm trying them out in the MK IVSE. Both light up but only one plays
frown.gif
 Not happy about that. And this was the first time I bought used tubes.

I also got 7 used 5998's on the way for the MK VI+. I hope I get better luck with those. 

Before giving up on those Chathams, I would encourage you to scrape and clean the pins to ensure good electrical contact. Quite often, this does the trick.

May 4, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #9,583 of 13,432
I'm happy to report that I received the 5998's today and they all work flawlessly:) They sound like a big step up from the 6H5C's in my MK VI+. They sound more spacious and clean, if that makes any sense (I'm terrible at describing sound) Best of all is that they're all quiet.

I even put a couple in the MK IVSE with very nice results. Can't imagine it's possible to push this little amp any further than this:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back