Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Sep 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #7,591 of 13,434
  Hi Mordy, found a pair of NOS Sylvania 5687WB, (look like sixties stock) at a fair price, but these are 9-pin tubes, what adapter you use into the 7-pin driver socket ?  Thanks for your help.    

If you wish to use the 5687 as power tubes, then get a pair of these adapters, and you are good to go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290977041297?

If you wish to use the 5687 (as well as other double triodes) as a driver, then the "adapter" is a bit more complicated....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/5760#post_10435226

And you will have something like this:

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #7,592 of 13,434
Questions regarding use of the C3g on Little Dot amps...

Does the C3g work on the Little Dot MK IV (non SE) model?

Would I still need the extensions before the C3g converter socket on the non SE if I remove the brass colored bits??

Does anyone have a picture of C3g being used as drivers on their Little Dot MK IV (non SE)?

What are the best tubes for the Little Dot?

This is a question often asked in this forum, and if the person asking doesn't want to mess with 9-pin sockets, Vector socket testers, and external  heater power supplies, the best we could do was suggest the 6HM5, which are not all that good compared to even a mediocre double triode.

However, due to the pioneering work of Hypnos1, I now believe we can make a much stronger recommendation:

C3g

If someone doesn't want to mess with double triodes, these are "endgame" tubes. Even if they eventually decide to try double triodes, they will not find them to be better, just slightly different.

Pairs of C3g are going for around $70 on eBay. And I should point out that this is what top-tier double triodes often cost. It is possible to take the black metal sheaths off, but as Siemens designed this tube to last 10,000 hours with it on, it is perfectly fine as is.

A pair of adapters is needed to convert the 8-pin loctal C3g base to a the Little Dot's 7-pin 6AK5 socket. A pair will run about $60.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301131714830?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

And finally, if one is using a stock Little Dot, the above adapters will not fit within the gold rings surrounding the driver sockets, so a pair of small "Test socket 7 pin miniature" for about $16 will be necessary.

http://leedsradio.com/parts-sockets.html#savers

And this is the result, shown next to a nice Tung Sol 6AK5 for scale. Yes, these are BIG! But the sound is GLORIOUS! :)

Ok, $146 is not cheap. But then again, this an "endgame" recommendation. Moreover, rolling different brands of C3g is not necessary. As best as I can determine, every C3g was made by Siemens, even those labeled Telefunken and Valvo. And further, these are 10,000 hour tubes. It is likely that the tubes will last longer than the amp! lol

In the end, if someone is willing to spend $146 in this way, they won't have to spend another dime on driver tubes for the life of their amp. And perhaps even more impressive, they will have an amp that can easily match amps costing considerably more. 

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #7,593 of 13,434
Questions regarding use of the C3g on Little Dot amps...

Does the C3g work on the Little Dot MK IV (non SE) model?

Would I still need the extensions before the C3g converter socket on the non SE if I remove the brass colored bits??

Does anyone have a picture of C3g being used as drivers on their Little Dot MK IV (non SE)?

The C3g works fine with LD 1+, II, III, IV and IVSE.

But I will have to leave the other questions to someone who has actually used these tubes in an LDIV.....

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #7,594 of 13,434
  Further observations on 5687 v C3g...given my gear and ears, of course!

As the Tung Sols were also used tubes, I think I now have enough time on them to get a good idea of what they do...

Although they are far better than the Raytheons (mine, at least), I think I am getting  - coupled with others' findings - a fair impression of the 'house' sound, and it looks like a definite emphasis on the bass and lower mid-range frequencies. This gives a really nice 'lush' sound, and fair blows the mind (if not the head off!) with music where this part of the spectrum dominates - like 'The Battle' on the soundtrack to Gladiator...VERY exciting...

However, this is at the expense of some of the higher frequencies - they are there, but are somewhat overpowered by the lower ones, most noticeable when the upper strings come in, on this particular track.

This tendency I also found with music combining acoustic, electronic and vocals...a nice rich, 'full' sound on the whole, but again the more subtle tonal ranges of the upper mids and treble, eg. strummed strings, treble woodwind/percussion, female voice etc. weren't resolved to quite the same degree as managed by the C3g. Coupled with the slightly less note decay (especially in the treble), this aspect - of my 5687s - results in not quite the same degree of 3D, holographic spatial rendition (as I have mentioned previously). The C3gs also seem better able to position different elements of a REALLY good recording engineer's mastery of "surround sound" - front/back; top/bottom; left/right - in fact, sometimes I could swear there's a FOURTH dimension going on in my head, lol!

Once again, these differences are only very subtle ones, and so much is going to depend on the rest of the set-up in question of course. My own findings are through HD650s (with pure silver cable, and said silver wherever I can manage to fit it! - right down to my own-made adapters) connected direct to the amp; mains power conditioner etc. etc.

Anyway, these are just my own observations - but I feel there must be a modicum of truth somewhere in how I find the C3g ...viz a question recently put to maestro Glenn (of Glenn amps, of course), ie. when asked if he had an amp "to rule them all", Glenn's reply was..."C3g > 300B with Lundahl transformer...  rules everything". I cannot imagine a better vindication of the qualities of the C3g, lol!..
wink_face.gif

ps. Mind you, these 5687s sure are mighty tubes...and a lot cheaper - IF you are prepared to do some modding, that is!

When i was listening to paranoid android/karma police the other day, i swore it was coming out of my speakers and actually took off the heapdhones to verify, the cg3s are amazing tubes!

Quote:

But I will have to leave the other questions to someone who has actually used these tubes in an LDIV.....

The SE and non-SE are the same unit with upgraded parts in the SE, it will work just fine with the adapters.

you can just remove the brass plate and you don't need the risers, there is no rings on the IV.

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #7,595 of 13,434
Excellent! 

Thank you VERY MUCH for the info!!

Quote:
The SE and non-SE are the same unit with upgraded parts in the SE, it will work just fine with the adapters.  
you can just remove the brass plate and you don't need the risers, there is no rings on the IV.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #7,596 of 13,434

When i was listening to paranoid android/karma police the other day, i swore it was coming out of my speakers and actually took off the heapdhones to verify, the cg3s are amazing tubes!

Quote:

Yo,mab - their ability to "fill your head", so to speak, never ceases to amaze me, lol! 
biggrin.gif

Hi JV.

Glad the guys have put you right re. the C3g...you are in for one REAL treat - they are brilliant even straight out of the box, and they just keep getting better and better up to 50hrs or so burn-in. If you fancy having a go at releasing them from their metal prison, I posted a tutorial some good while ago (if you do, and you can't find it, just post 'help'! and I will search it out for you).

An added bonus of the MKIV and SE is we don't need the extra extenders...GREAT!

HAPPY ROLLING...

beerchug.gif

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #7,597 of 13,434
Hello hypnos1

I have taken the plunge and ordered the socket adapters, and I _accidentally_ ordered (2) C3m tubes...then realized my mistake, and sent euroklang the extra $10.00 for C3g's - I hope he realizes my mistake, and sends the C3g tubes!!

Really looking forward to the magic of the C3g as drivers!! 

Thanks to all in here for your time and efforts, to help us all get the most from our Tube Amps!!

Quote:

Hi JV.

Glad the guys have put you right re. the C3g...you are in for one REAL treat - they are brilliant even straight out of the box, and they just keep getting better and better up to 50hrs or so burn-in. If you fancy having a go at releasing them from their metal prison, I posted a tutorial some good while ago (if you do, and you can't find it, just post 'help'! and I will search it out for you).

An added bonus of the MKIV and SE is we don't need the extra extenders...GREAT!

HAPPY ROLLING...

beerchug.gif

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #7,598 of 13,434

Well done JV...but I do hope you got your message to euroklang in time, lol! (I'm sure all will be well
tongue.gif
).

I hope also you have no trouble with the adapters...if there should be any problem, it looks like it is soon sorted by the ebayer (but again, I'm sure all will be well!)...
Now the looong wait...
wink.gif

Yes, this thread has to be one of the (if not THE!) best around...
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #7,599 of 13,434

OK

But how do they sound comparing to High Quality ef95/91/92? To make it simple I put them in order of bass amount from bassiest to the thinnest:
EF95 Mullard military > EF95 Russian 80's gold/platinium plate > EF92 Mullard military 
Where do c3g fit in in terms of amount of bass?

Or in terms of sound stage vs detail from more sound stage and less detail to more detail but less soundstage
EF95 Tung-Sol 1950s > EF95 JAN > EF95 80s Russian gold/platinium > EF95 RCA 1960s black plate
Again where would c3g fit in?

Is it improvement really? Won't adapters cause problems similar to having valves with dirty pins?

Now with 5687 power tubes, what will they give me comparing to the popular Russian 80's power tubes?

BTW, I have two LD MK II amps. One with EF92 Mullard military for bass heavy cans and the other one with EF95 Russian for neutral cans.
Also I assume amps must be set for EF95 valves to use c3g?

Thank you
Andy

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #7,600 of 13,434
  But how do they sound comparing to High Quality ef95/91/92? To make it simple I put them in order of bass amount from bassiest to the thinnest:
EF95 Mullard military > EF95 Russian 80's gold/platinium plate > EF92 Mullard military 
Where do c3g fit in in terms of amount of bass?

Or in terms of sound stage vs detail from more sound stage and less detail to more detail but less soundstage
EF95 Tung-Sol 1950s > EF95 JAN > EF95 80s Russian gold/platinium > EF95 RCA 1960s black plate
Again where would c3g fit in?

Is it improvement really? Won't adapters cause problems similar to having valves with dirty pins?

Now with 5687 power tubes, what will they give me comparing to the popular Russian 80's power tubes?

Also I assume amps must be set for EF95 valves to use c3g?

1) It has been so long since I have listened to EF91/92 and 95, that I cannot give a detailed answer. I will say that in my opinion, the C3g is several orders of magnitude better than any of the traditional tubes.

2) No, I have never heard any additional noise due to using adapters, and I use lots of them.

3) First, I have an LD 1+, so no power tubes....  However, you might have noticed that many of our group have used 6SN7's as power tubes, and believe them to be better than the traditional Russian tubes. In that the 5687, as a driver, is as good or better than a 6SN7, I would expect them to be better as well. However, if anyone is using these tubes as powers, they haven't gone public, so I don't know..... Could I interest you in being a guinea pig? :D

4) Yes, the adapter is designed to convert from 8-pin Loctal to 7-pin EF95, so you would set your LD accordingly.

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #7,601 of 13,434

1) It has been so long since I have listened to EF91/92 and 95, that I cannot give a detailed answer. I will say that in my opinion, the C3g is several orders of magnitude better than any of the traditional tubes.

2) No, I have never heard any additional noise due to using adapters, and I use lots of them.

3) First, I have an LD 1+, so no power tubes....  However, you might have noticed that many of our group have used 6SN7's as power tubes, and believe them to be better than the traditional Russian tubes. In that the 5687, as a driver, is as good or better than a 6SN7, I would expect them to be better as well. However, if anyone is using these tubes as powers, they haven't gone public, so I don't know..... Could I interest you in being a guinea pig? :D

4) Yes, the adapter is designed to convert from 8-pin Loctal to 7-pin EF95, so you would set your LD accordingly.

thx
So I should rather think of using 6SN7s as power tubes on adapter and with them c3g as drivers on appropriate adapter as well.
Regards
Andy

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #7,602 of 13,434

Can I use 5687 as driver tubes in LD using some kind of adapter?

Yes, you can... but as I replied to Johnnysound about ten posts prior (post #7591), the "adapter" is a bit complicated. The easiest way to accomplish this is to use one 9-pin breadboard socket, two 7-pin test sockets, a laptop power supply providing at least 1.5A, a voltage regulator and some wire.

Cheers

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #7,603 of 13,434
So I think of using 6SN7s as power tubes on adapters and with them c3g as drivers on appropriate adapters as well. Could you please confirm it's sensible and no other devices are needed to make it work?
I am a bit afraid that it is all overkill for headphones and those tubes are rather for speaker amps. I guess it will make the sound warmer and bassier than what I have currently. I am extremely satisfied with Soviet 6AK5 driver tubes for my Beyer DT880 600ohm but this is too bassy for DT990 600 ohm, and I can't figure out any tubes to sound good with DT990, EF92 are a bit dead sounding.

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #7,604 of 13,434

thx
So I should rather think of using 6SN7s as power tubes on adapter and with them c3g as drivers on appropriate adapter as well.
Regards
Andy

Hi sssboa.

That combination will, I am sure, give you results that may well astound you...and then you might want to get even more adventurous and mull over recent postings on using 6AS7G/6080s as power tubes - if you're in the market for a little modding, lol! Then you would be more than astounded!!

Whatever, just like all the rest of us, you are going to discover how our humble LDs can punch WAY above their weight...
biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #7,605 of 13,434

Yes, you can... but as I replied to Johnnysound about ten posts prior (post #7591), the "adapter" is a bit complicated. The easiest way to accomplish this is to use one 9-pin breadboard socket, two 7-pin test sockets, a laptop power supply providing at least 1.5A, a voltage regulator and some wire.

Cheers

Hi Gibosi, thx again, the "breadboard" is an entertaining DIY project,  looks easier than the 6AS7G/6080s one ¡¡   but lets follow the upgrade path step by step,  I am going to try the 6SN7s as powers first  ( I wonder about the comparative performance of the 5687s as powers, could not find a single post about it)  then swap some different driver tubes (EF92 TS 6485, EF95 Voshkod and EI 6HM5)  to see how they "interact",   only because I am curious about the power tubes contribution to SQ.    Of course, all this experiments before going "up" to the C3gs I am seeing in the near future...   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back