Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Sep 28, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #7,621 of 13,448
Anyone has a spare pair of 7-pin miniature test sockets for sale? I've contacted Leeds Radio for it but they have just shifted to a new premise and the shop will only open in November...

I tried eBay but couldn't find the same or similar product. If anyone can help, it will be most appreciated!

found this from an old post of gibosi

http://www.radiodaze.com/product/15450.aspx

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #7,622 of 13,448

Anyone has a spare pair of 7-pin miniature test sockets for sale? I've contacted Leeds Radio for it but they have just shifted to a new premise and the shop will only open in November...

I tried eBay but couldn't find the same or similar product. If anyone can help, it will be most appreciated!

Thanks, dude! Shall order a pair now..

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #7,624 of 13,448
then try them

http://www.vacuumtubesinc.com/Products/SocketsAdaptersParts/Adapters.aspx

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #7,625 of 13,448
Good job Superdux, I'll take 2
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #7,626 of 13,448

These will work fine. However, they are a bit tall! lol :)

I use these test sockets along with my 9-pin adapter to run double triodes, but as you can see, you can still use them with 7-pin tubes.

Edit: Just make sure you don't have a double triode plugged in at the same time!!

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #7,627 of 13,448
Another less elegant solution, but less expensive, would be to connect two loctal breadboards to the Vectors. This would cut the cost of the adapters in half from $60 to $30 (for those of us that have the Vector 7pin adapters).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200958131372?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

(I have a 9pin bread board from the same supplier and the quality is good.)

$T2eC16F,%21%29cFIdTv%21%29HEBSfhshqJi%21%7E%7E60_57.JPG

There is a US supplier of a bread board that does not require soldering in little wires in the place of the spaces for resistors as above, but it costs $24  so I don't think this version is worth it compared to the $30 custom made adapter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-pin-loctal-breadboard-prototype-tube-socket-for-DIY-experimenting-NOT-OCTAL-/161397121735?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item259404a2c7
$_57.JPG

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #7,628 of 13,448
i have a seller who wants to sell me a cheap batch of C3GS for 10 euro a piece.I could pickup maybe 10 or even more.If anyone is interested they could send me money via paypal including shipping and paypal fees.As for transactions with Head-Fi members i refer to MIKELAP and Vic2Vic.
Please PN me and if i have enough biddings i will edit this post.
The seller is selling them as used but i phoned him and he said they were NOS but he makes no garanty (because they are so old) and serves as is.

EDIT:just talked to the seller and he will give me 10tubes for sure.So i'll be taking 2, 2 are also gone so 3 buyers can still ask until monday night.

Buyers:

Rossliew 2xC3GS
Myself 2xC3GS
Mordy 2xC3GS
two persons are pending but i sent them a message, so you may apply but i'm not sure if you still get soem tubes as for now this will be some work for me repackaging, postoffice, taxdeclaration etc.

Count me in mate :wink:

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #7,629 of 13,448
  Another less elegant solution, but less expensive, would be to connect two loctal breadboards to the Vectors. This would cut the cost of the adapters in half from $60 to $30 (for those of us that have the Vector 7pin adapters).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200958131372?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

(I have a 9pin bread board from the same supplier and the quality is good.)

$T2eC16F,%21%29cFIdTv%21%29HEBSfhshqJi%21%7E%7E60_57.JPG

There is a US supplier of a bread board that does not require soldering in little wires in the place of the spaces for resistors as above, but it costs $24  so I don't think this version is worth it compared to the $30 custom made adapter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-pin-loctal-breadboard-prototype-tube-socket-for-DIY-experimenting-NOT-OCTAL-/161397121735?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item259404a2c7
$_57.JPG

Hey Mordy!
 The first picture,I'am wondering  if you can install a resistor on the board to limit the current going into the MK III from the 6AS7G tubes.Will these work?
Maybe TD and Gibosi can comment on these.THANK YOU! 

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #7,630 of 13,448
My experience with the 78' 6N23P Voskhod tube: these had no burn-in and i probably listened about 6hrs in total spanning 2 days. I experienced a tad lesser bass than the 79', the detail still has to be considered but they have a very contoured, crystal(liquid) like ( i thought of ice but not in the sense of cold but its luminal abilities) mid section with pleasant male voices and strings.It took a bit to get used to this sound sig but i like them a lot having a 4 hour listening session today also trying different HPs from my collection. Were they better than the 79'? That depends on your listening habits: the 79's are clearly detailed, have a nice bass section and nice mids giving you a pleasant listening experience.

Albums listened to:

Anthony and the Johnsons- I am a bird now
The Beatles- White album
Nick Drake- Pink Moon

EDIT/UPDATE: now the tubes must have 10-12hrs on them and the sound sig has become more smoother than in the beginning. I just listened to some Aphex Twin-Syro and could hear nice details with this tube through my HD650. The bass is also more pronounced now. The mids are not so hard/contoured as in the beginning but have some silky smoothness to them. There's still a hint of the brilliant tonal quality there, what i described as "ice-like". But all has gotten rounder now and they are certainly one of the best tubes for the Little Dot considering you'll need a handmade adapter. Maybe ask here for someone to build one for you if you're not that tech-savy.

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #7,631 of 13,448
My experience with the 78' 6N23P Voskhod tube: these had no burn-in and i probably listened about 6hrs in total spanning 2 days. I experienced a tad lesser bass than the 79', the detail still has to be considered but they have a very contoured, crystal(liquid) like ( i thought of ice but not in the sense of cold but its luminal abilities) mid section with pleasant male voices and strings.It took a bit to get used to this sound sig but i like them a lot having a 4 hour listening session today also trying different HPs from my collection. Were they better than the 79'? That depends on your listening habits: the 79's are clearly detailed, have a nice bass section and nice mids giving you a pleasant listening experience.

Albums listened to:

Anthony and the Johnsons- I am a bird now
The Beatles- White album
Nick Drake- Pink Moon

I've tried the 6N23P a power tubes but due to their low current draw , the sound is not as full bodied as I'd like. All in all, these are not really suitable as power tubes IMO. Neither were the 6N1Ps except for some Amperex 6922s, if I'm not mistaken. The golden globes..

Sep 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #7,633 of 13,448

I've tried the 6N23P a power tubes but due to their low current draw , the sound is not as full bodied as I'd like. All in all, these are not really suitable as power tubes IMO. Neither were the 6N1Ps except for some Amperex 6922s, if I'm not mistaken. The golden globes..

The 6N23P, 6922 and 6DJ8/ECC88 have only 0.30A heaters and there appears to be considerable consensus that they do not work well as power tubes. However, 6N1P and 6N5P have 0.6A heaters, the same as 6SN7, so they just might be better. However, I do not know if anyone here has tried them....

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #7,634 of 13,448

The 6N23P, 6922 and 6DJ8/ECC88 have only 0.30A heaters and there appears to be considerable consensus that they do not work well as power tubes. However, 6N1P and 6N5P have 0.6A heaters, the same as 6SN7, so they just might be better. However, I do not know if anyone here has tried them....

Hmm..i didn't find the 6N1P to be a good match either (or maybe there's no synergy in my rig) although I noted that the Amperex's had a fuller sound. I shall try and give it another round of listening tonight. For now, the Raytheon 6SN7s are giving me a lot of musical and emotionally engaging listening times!

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #7,635 of 13,448

The first picture,I'am wondering  if you can install a resistor on the board to limit the current going into the MK III from the 6AS7G tubes.Will these work?
Maybe TD and Gibosi can comment on these.THANK YOU! 

Just to clarify, these are Loctal breadboard sockets for use with C3g. To use breadboard sockets to run 6AS7's, it would be necessary to purchase Octal sockets. As to whether adding resisters to an octal socket would make it more safe run 6AS7's, I have no idea...

For those interested in exploring this possibility it might be a good idea to reread lemonjelly's posts regarding his modifications. Specifically, I cannot remember if he suggested adding resistance or lowering resistance?

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=lemonjelly&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread%5B0%5D=563884&advanced=1

And maybe lemonjelly would be willing to offer his opinion regarding the feasibility of this idea.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back