Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Sep 26, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #7,606 of 13,448
Frankly, I think it is wise to go slowly and to do the easiest things first. And rolling through a few 6SN7's and 5687's as power tubes is indeed easy, requiring only ready-made adapters. 

Again, if anyone is using 5687's as powers, they haven't gone public, so we don't know how good they are. My hunch is that they will be as good, or better than 6SN7's. In my opinion, power tubes provide power, impact and propulsive rhythm to the music. Since the 5687's have 0.9A heaters, compared to 0.6A for the 6SN7's, it seems logical to think that they might provide more power. But until someone tries them and reports back, we just don't know. And since I have an LD1+, I can't roll power tubes, so I have to beg and cajole others to try them for me. lol :)

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #7,607 of 13,448
I might try those adapters but i wished i had more funds, so here's my paypal....haha just joking.
But what if they sound like crap? Anyway my dole money will be tuesday on the account and shipping and handling will sure take 3-4 weeks.
And besides that i'm not that good at describing and memorizing sound signatures.

Sep 27, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #7,608 of 13,448
  Frankly, I think it is wise to go slowly and to do the easiest things first. And rolling through a few 6SN7's and 5687's as power tubes is indeed easy, requiring only ready-made adapters. 

Again, if anyone is using 5687's as powers, they haven't gone public, so we don't know how good they are. My hunch is that they will be as good, or better than 6SN7's. In my opinion, power tubes provide power, impact and propulsive rhythm to the music. Since the 5687's have 0.9A heaters, compared to 0.6A for the 6SN7's, it seems logical to think that they might provide more power. But until someone tries them and reports back, we just don't know. And since I have an LD1+, I can't roll power tubes, so I have to beg and cajole others to try them for me. lol :)

Well, after all the great advice from you and all the pros here, maybe I can make this humble contribution, and check the merits of the 5687s as power tubes.  By chance, found an old repair shop (here in Lima, Peru) that happens to still have, forgotten in their shelves,  a VERY interesting stock of NOS tubes, all kinds, brands and types.  From what I saw, mostly 60s and 70s stock, american and european.  I jumped in expecting the bargain of the century, but no,  the old guy knows that  nobody else has tubes around here, and the guitar amplifier people are his main customers...so he prices his tubes at will.  

He  offered me a pair of NOS Sylvania 5687WB at about $30, and I rejected the offer.  Then he came with a match pair of really nice and solid Tungsram 6SN7GT at $35,   brand new but obviously old stock, sixties I think, and I couldn't resist that famous hungarian brand. This is a very rare NOS tube, found only ONE for sale worldwide (in Italy) at around $40.  Only afterwards I discovered in this very thread that these tubes are, without doubt,  rebranded 60s russian tubes,  but high quality ones.  Forget about Tungsram,  authentic russians from the 60s are also worth trying, I think... He probably will offer me a deal with the Sylvanias, and then I will need the adapters to test them...     

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #7,609 of 13,448
Thanks to @gibosi  I tried some Raytheon 6SN7s and they indeed sound more neutral and engaging as compared to the VT-231 which, whilst sounding full bodies, was a tad too warm and treble rolled-off for my taste. I have regained my faith in the 6SN7s and am now going to pull the trigger on some 5687s as power tubes. Pulling 0.9A, i hope they will sound better than the 6SN7s.

On another note, can someone send me a link to some C3GS tubes for sale? I can't find them over at eBay, only the C3G...many thanks in advance!

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #7,610 of 13,448
i have a seller who wants to sell me a cheap batch of C3GS for 10 euro a piece.I could pickup maybe 10 or even more.If anyone is interested they could send me money via paypal including shipping and paypal fees.As for transactions with Head-Fi members i refer to MIKELAP and Vic2Vic.
Please PN me and if i have enough biddings i will edit this post.
The seller is selling them as used but i phoned him and he said they were NOS but he makes no garanty (because they are so old) and serves as is.

Buyers:

Rossliew 2xC3GS
Myself 2xC3GS
Mordy 2xC3GS
Acapella11 2xC3GS
Vic2Vic 4xC3GS
Citizenlin 2xC3GS

Ok no more orders please, maybe next year again.THX

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #7,611 of 13,448
i have a seller who wants to sell me a cheap batch of C3Gs for 10 euro a piece.I could pickup maybe 10 or even more.If anyone is interested they could send me money via paypal including shipping and paypal fees.As for transactions with Head-Fi members i refer to MIKELAP and Vic2Vic.
Please PN me and if i have enough biddings i will edit this post.
The seller is selling them as used but i phoned him and he said they were NOS but he makes no garanty (because they are so old) and serves as is.

No problem there .

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #7,612 of 13,448
  Thanks to @gibosi  I tried some Raytheon 6SN7s and they indeed sound more neutral and engaging as compared to the VT-231 which, whilst sounding full bodies, was a tad too warm and treble rolled-off for my taste. I have regained my faith in the 6SN7s and am now going to pull the trigger on some 5687s as power tubes. Pulling 0.9A, i hope they will sound better than the 6SN7s.

On another note, can someone send me a link to some C3GS tubes for sale? I can't find them over at eBay, only the C3G...many thanks in advance!

Hi Rossliew.

superdux's arrangement @ 10 euros a piece is a really good offer...but if you want the 'S' version (NOS) here's a link...hope it works! :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-C3g-S-SIEMENS-audio-tubes-NOS-POST-C-3-g-/311099669640?

Obviously they are much more expensive, but of course they're NOS, and I personally found they gave a little bit more than the standard tube (the only indication of 'S' status is on the box - nowhere else, lol!).

So perhaps you have a choice to make, mon ami?...

Cheers!

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #7,613 of 13,448

Glad to hear you are liking the Raytheons. These are under rated and too often overlooked in my opinion. I would also recommend the Tung-Sol mouse ears and perhaps a pair of Sylvanias.

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #7,615 of 13,448
  Don't forget to CRYO them.
biggrin.gif

Sorry @ i luvmusic 2 , can you explain what you mean by "Cryo them"? Sorry for my newb-ness.  :)

Sep 27, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #7,616 of 13,448

Hi sssboa.

That combination will, I am sure, give you results that may well astound you...and then you might want to get even more adventurous and mull over recent postings on using 6AS7G/6080s as power tubes - if you're in the market for a little modding, lol! Then you would be more than astounded!!

Whatever, just like all the rest of us, you are going to discover how our humble LDs can punch WAY above their weight...
biggrin.gif

Cheers!

OK, thx
Just ordered a pair of c3g and 6SN7 with all adapters.
I took 6SN7 vintage Sylvania nice looking black plate, chrome top, moderately priced, I doubt they affect quality really so want them to be lookers :)

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #7,618 of 13,448
Hi TC,

Cryogenic treatment means taking the tube slowly to extremely cold temperatures and then very slowly bringing the tubes back to room temperature. Liquid nitrogen is used. This procedure is said to reorient the molecular pattern more uniformly and strengthen the material, be it steel or other metals, glass or plastics.

Apparently this method is used to make certain tools last longer, and it has many applications in industry, such as high performance car parts etc.

The question is if it benefits vacuum tubes. From the cursory reading I did, it seems that although there are differences in sound after cryogenic treatment, most posts I read noticed no improvement or degradation of the sound, but, as always, some said that it helped.

IMHO researching and buying the best tubes for you application will yield much better results.

My personal impression is that tube dampers and cryogenic treatments are on the same level as snake oil as far as tubes go.

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #7,619 of 13,448
Anyone has a spare pair of 7-pin miniature test sockets for sale? I've contacted Leeds Radio for it but they have just shifted to a new premise and the shop will only open in November...

I tried eBay but couldn't find the same or similar product. If anyone can help, it will be most appreciated!

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #7,620 of 13,448

Users who are viewing this thread

Back