Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Sep 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #7,576 of 13,448
Hi TC,

I believe that these gizmos are called tube dampers. Here is a link:

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/tube.htm

(Seems that what you have on the picture you saw is the Guitar Amp Ultrasonic damper)

I think that the intention of these dampers is to get rid of vibrations and microphonics. Some people use silicon rings on the tube. Just type in tube dampers on Ebay and you will get hundreds of orange silicone rings for sale. (A plumbing supply may have these items for significantly less)

Whether they work or not seems to be debatable - anybody wants to weigh in?

Here is some Turkish Delight tube candy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-VACUUM-TUBE-AMP-DAMPER-RING-12AX7-6DJ8-EL84-6H30P-Improves-Sound-/161388790693?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item25938583a5

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #7,579 of 13,448
  Hi TC,

I believe that these gizmos are called tube dampers. Here is a link:

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/tube.htm

I think that the intention of these dampers is to get rid of vibrations and microphonics. Some people use silicon rings on the tube. Just type in tube dampers on Ebay and you will get hundreds of orange silicone rings for sale. (A plumbing supply may have these items for significantly less)

Whether they work or not seems to be debatable - anybody wants to weigh in?

Here is some Turkish Delight tube candy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-VACUUM-TUBE-AMP-DAMPER-RING-12AX7-6DJ8-EL84-6H30P-Improves-Sound-/161388790693?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item25938583a5

My c3gs tubes ring audibly if I tap the glass. If i hold the tip of my finger on the glass the ringing stops (it stops on it's own pretty quickly anyway). I don't notice any ring if I tap the desk it's on instead. 

The 6SN7's on the other hand, can be tapped to the beat of a song and I don't notice a thing.

My 2 cents would be they're good if you're gonna spend less than $10 on the pair, any more than that and you're may as well be buying jewelry.

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #7,580 of 13,448
Thanks Morty, Mab1376 et all!
I'll wait to see if anyone else chimes in before heading over to Howies. In my mind if they even help a little and add to the aesthetics I am probably in. Going to try doing some light tapping tonight as Mab1376 mentioned. 

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #7,581 of 13,448
Do remember that all tubes are microphonic to some degree. Generally speaking, one should avoid tapping one's tubes. 
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #7,582 of 13,448
While you are picking out some jewelry for your tubes, you should get them some anti-vibration sockets as well...

Ya need a nice pair of shoes to go with those earrings... 
L3000.gif

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #7,584 of 13,448
Thank you Oskari...good heads up on the tapping. And thank you TrollDragon for the heads up on the footwear which I now see as a must have. I will certainly be further blinging (really there isn't a better word than that?) my MKll out. 

So I got the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV drivers and Russian 6H6P-1 power tubes in tonight. On album 2 and I can already tell what I am in for. If anyone is reading this and you haven't ordered your LD amp you are just wasting time. An incredible value and worth investing those savings in some killer tubes.

Brick the doorway I will be sitting right here in my listening chair.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #7,585 of 13,448
  Do remember that all tubes are microphonic to some degree. Generally speaking, one should avoid tapping one's tubes. 
wink.gif

sorry i should've mentioned it, more of an observation.

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #7,586 of 13,448
Further observations on 5687 v C3g...given my gear and ears, of course!

As the Tung Sols were also used tubes, I think I now have enough time on them to get a good idea of what they do...

Although they are far better than the Raytheons (mine, at least), I think I am getting  - coupled with others' findings - a fair impression of the 'house' sound, and it looks like a definite emphasis on the bass and lower mid-range frequencies. This gives a really nice 'lush' sound, and fair blows the mind (if not the head off!) with music where this part of the spectrum dominates - like 'The Battle' on the soundtrack to Gladiator...VERY exciting...

However, this is at the expense of some of the higher frequencies - they are there, but are somewhat overpowered by the lower ones, most noticeable when the upper strings come in, on this particular track.

This tendency I also found with music combining acoustic, electronic and vocals...a nice rich, 'full' sound on the whole, but again the more subtle tonal ranges of the upper mids and treble, eg. strummed strings, treble woodwind/percussion, female voice etc. weren't resolved to quite the same degree as managed by the C3g. Coupled with the slightly less note decay (especially in the treble), this aspect - of my 5687s - results in not quite the same degree of 3D, holographic spatial rendition (as I have mentioned previously). The C3gs also seem better able to position different elements of a REALLY good recording engineer's mastery of "surround sound" - front/back; top/bottom; left/right - in fact, sometimes I could swear there's a FOURTH dimension going on in my head, lol!

Once again, these differences are only very subtle ones, and so much is going to depend on the rest of the set-up in question of course. My own findings are through HD650s (with pure silver cable, and said silver wherever I can manage to fit it! - right down to my own-made adapters) connected direct to the amp; mains power conditioner etc. etc.

Anyway, these are just my own observations - but I feel there must be a modicum of truth somewhere in how I find the C3g ...viz a question recently put to maestro Glenn (of Glenn amps, of course), ie. when asked if he had an amp "to rule them all", Glenn's reply was..."C3g > 300B with Lundahl transformer...  rules everything". I cannot imagine a better vindication of the qualities of the C3g, lol!..
wink_face.gif

ps. Mind you, these 5687s sure are mighty tubes...and a lot cheaper - IF you are prepared to do some modding, that is!

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #7,587 of 13,448
  Further observations on 5687 v C3g...given my gear and ears, of course!

Although they are far better than the Raytheons (mine, at least), I think I am getting  - coupled with others' findings - a fair impression of the 'house' sound, and it looks like a definite emphasis on the bass and lower mid-range frequencies. This gives a really nice 'lush' sound, and fair blows the mind (if not the head off!) with music where this part of the spectrum dominates - like 'The Battle' on the soundtrack to Gladiator...VERY exciting...

However, this is at the expense of some of the higher frequencies - they are there, but are somewhat overpowered by the lower ones, most noticeable when the upper strings come in, on this particular track.

This tendency I also found with music combining acoustic, electronic and vocals...a nice rich, 'full' sound on the whole, but again the more subtle tonal ranges of the upper mids and treble, eg. strummed strings, treble woodwind/percussion, female voice etc. weren't resolved to quite the same degree as managed by the C3g. Coupled with the slightly less note decay (especially in the treble), this aspect - of my 5687s - results in not quite the same degree of 3D, holographic spatial rendition (as I have mentioned previously). The C3gs also seem better able to position different elements of a REALLY good recording engineer's mastery of "surround sound" - front/back; top/bottom; left/right - in fact, sometimes I could swear there's a FOURTH dimension going on in my head, lol!

Once again, these differences are only very subtle ones, and so much is going to depend on the rest of the set-up in question of course. My own findings are through HD650s (with pure silver cable, and said silver wherever I can manage to fit it! - right down to my own-made adapters) connected direct to the amp; mains power conditioner etc. etc.

Anyway, these are just my own observations - but I feel there must be a modicum of truth somewhere in how I find the C3g ...viz a question recently put to maestro Glenn (of Glenn amps, of course), ie. when asked if he had an amp "to rule them all", Glenn's reply was..."C3g > 300B with Lundahl transformer...  rules everything". I cannot imagine a better vindication of the qualities of the C3g, lol!..
wink_face.gif

A question and a few comments:

Do you have the oldest Tung-Sol, the one with flat, ribbed plates? Or are yours the later ones, with flanged square box plates?

Your observations regarding the TS-5687 match those of others, that is, less tonal decay and detail in the upper mids and treble. Those that really like this tube tend to use brigher headphones, such as Grado and Beyers. From this, I suspect that HD650's might be a bit too dark to match up well with this tube. Moreover, it is a matter of personal taste, as well. My HD700's are pretty bright, but even so, I still prefer the Sylvania.

And very frankly, it is the 300B tube with transformers that makes Glenn's amp the "one to rule them all". This amp can drive speakers, as well as low-Z and high-Z cans. So it truly is an "all in one" amp. While it is a given that the C3g is an extraordinary tube, what makes it special in this case is a gain of 40. The 300B requires a driver with lots of gain. A 6SN7, with a gain of only 20, simply cannot drive the 300B nearly as well. To date, Glenn has yet to build a 6AS7-based OTL with C3g's. I fully expect that he will someday, but for now, we do not know how this combination might stack up against a C3g+300B for headphone use.

All that said, the C3g is a GREAT tube! :)

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #7,588 of 13,448

A question and a few comments:

Do you have the oldest Tung-Sol, the one with flat, ribbed plates? Or are yours the later ones, with flanged square box plates?

Your observations regarding the TS-5687 match those of others, that is, less tonal decay and detail in the upper mids and treble. Those that really like this tube tend to use brigher headphones, such as Grado and Beyers. From this, I suspect that HD650's might be a bit too dark to match up well with this tube. Moreover, it is a matter of personal taste, as well. My HD700's are pretty bright, but even so, I still prefer the Sylvania.

And very frankly, it is the 300B tube with transformers that makes Glenn's amp the "one to rule them all". This amp can drive speakers, as well as low-Z and high-Z cans. So it truly is an "all in one" amp. While it is a given that the C3g is an extraordinary tube, what makes it special in this case is a gain of 40. The 300B requires a driver with lots of gain. A 6SN7, with a gain of only 20, simply cannot drive the 300B nearly as well. To date, Glenn has yet to build a 6AS7-based OTL with C3g's. I fully expect that he will someday, but for now, we do not know how this combination might stack up against a C3g+300B for headphone use.

All that said, the C3g is a GREAT tube! :)

Hi g.

My TSs do have narrow 'boxes' (17mm black plates), so I presume are not the earliest - unfortunately.

So, do you think the Sylvanias answer ALL of my reservations? - not just re decay and detail, but the C3g's uncanny abilities concerning 3-dimensional placement?...Very tall order, methinks! 
wink.gif
...shall have to look out for a 'mordy' deal, lol!!

Interesting point re the 300B requiring the higher gain...my GEC 6AS7Gs need the volume control turned up a good deal higher with the 5687s in situ...

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #7,590 of 13,448
  Hi TD,

The comment about nothing could kill this amp was said in jest. Obviously, if somebody would really want to, you could kill it. What I meant is that with all the various tubes we tried, the amp held up just fine despite some misgivings.

I have been using a pair of 2.5A 6080 tubes as power tubes for many hours without any problems at all. There is a very big spike on my watt meter when they heat up, so I disconnect my speakers with a button until the spike is gone after some 30 seconds.

At this stage my favorite set up is two Sylvania 6080s with the 5687 (Sylvania, Tung Sol or GE) as driver. The bass especially is extremely clear and detailed, and goes very deep. On many recordings I hear details in the deep bass that were not apparent before.

Hi Mordy, found a pair of NOS Sylvania 5687WB, (look like sixties stock) at a fair price, but these are 9-pin tubes, what adapter you use into the 7-pin driver socket ?  Thanks for your help.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back