Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Apr 8, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #9,512 of 13,448
Hi Audiofanboy and welcome back!

As far as I know, the MKIV has brass cages that are easily removable and so no need for socket adapters (which are required to make the adapters fit within the brass rings on the MKIII - those brass rings are quite difficult to remove).

IMHO the addition of 2.5A power tubes changes the entire presentation of the LD amp, and is a must if you want to explore the full potential of this great amp. The difference is enormous, not subtle, like the difference between grape juice and a good wine.

You will need a 15A PS and a 15A voltage regulator. Here in the US you can buy a computer PS 400-500W on sale for around $30; a 15A voltage regulator can be found on Ebay for $13 or less. (if you can swing it, a audiophile grade PS supposedly will be quieter and may have less hum).

You could look on German Ebay for deals on C3g tubes - Good Luck!

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #9,513 of 13,448
  Wow, as quick as ever! Thanks for your answers!

So I guess I'll just bite the bullet and eventually get a pair of those Chinese adapters, and save myself all the DIY trouble... Just one question to the MK IV or IV SE users: do these adapters fit through the brass rings? I have a faint memory I read they didn't...

Now I just have to find some nice C3Gs to go with those. ebay seems to be running out of cheap ones too. Anyone want to part with a pair?

Quote:

It's great to have you back! :)

The 75 Reflektor 6N23P is one of my top tubes. My other favorite 9-pin double triodes are E80CC (the old 50's Eindhoven and Hamburg and the early 1970's US-made) and the E182CC (1970's US-made).

I personally have had very good luck with the Chinese-made C3g adapters and see no reason not to get a pair. These ready-made adapters will enable you to quickly get a feel for the sound of the C3gs, which I think is the best we can get in the LD. After spending some time with my Glenn OTL, I have come to the conclusion that the LD bias points are much better suited to the C3g than they are to 6SN7, for example.

And since I have the 1+, I will have to defer to others about power tubes....

First of all welcome back .man.  Those adapters from China are right around the corner from you shouldnt take long to get them personnally i made my adapters but of course its less trouble to buy them  .About the 6AS7 im shure mordy is going to  encourage you to go for it .i use 6as7 but with a couple of WooAudio amp i have love the look of those tubes .For power tubes on the MK3 these days i use 6SN7 tubes with adapters  sounds good .Take it easy .                                                     

One word of advice before inserting your C3G tubes in the adapters first try to enlarge the pin holes and where the centering pin goes in the adapter you might have to push the tab in the center of  the adapter back so  the tube slides in better. These tubes   are very fragile dont wiggle them when inserting them in the pin wholes,because  i and a few other guys ended up with a cracked tubes. Also you have an mk4 if i remember so you wont need socket extenders to clear the rings it would be the same if you would try the 6SN7 tubes as power tubes because adapter are to big for mk3 rings but in my case i cut them out .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 These are the adapters i made for the c3g's and here a pic with the MK3 and  6sn7  and if you ever decide to build them loctal sockets are available but it all depends what you want to use for the body i used copper fittings 1¨x 1/2¨inch here's a tutorial i made on page 553 post#8295 and a tutorial hypnos1 made on page 544post# 8157   and these loctal sockets are still avaible on ebay i bought some look to be a better quality than the chinese sockets   and also using a little screw driver to remove the C3G from sockets personnally  i leave them on dont want to risk it .Have fun   here's link to loctal sockets in case you want to make them    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-Loctal-8-B8G-Sylvania-1938-socket-12G1L-12P17L-2G27L-2P29L-4P1L-/381087439551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58ba94dabf

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #9,514 of 13,448
after a few rollings, i came to a conclusion from the tubes i own

the E92 Mullards + russian 6n6p-i are the best combo for me. i guess it depends on the source i use the Ibaso DX90 line out to feed the LD mk III

i also own the  6n6p-ir and the voskhods and a few more.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #9,515 of 13,448
Hi guys.

After the interesting musings on different C3gs, thought I'd take gibosi's invitation to try some very reasonably-priced NOS Lorenz with gold pins.

I won't be able to see how they compare to the Siemens 'S' versions just yet - it's back to adapter making for my Elise...thought I'd just about finished this (very time-consuming!) game, lol!...(gibosi, you have a lot to answer for mon ami!!
wink_face.gif
...but I must admit I am really curious to hear them after your own findings).

In the meantime just thought you might like to see the insides of them cheek to cheek - Lorenz to the left.

As you can see, quite a few differences between them...so different factories? - or just different Siemens manufacturing periods?...???

Cheers!

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #9,516 of 13,448

EH900S Telefunken tubes, which run in EF95 setting...these are the most detailed, best tube I have ever encountered! I have the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV's and the Yugoslavian 6HM5's among many other different tubes, and these here are the most detailed tube EVER!!! This is true audio nirvana IMHO :smiley::smile: don't believe me??? Order a pair, which you'll find these on eBay, but they're pretty hard to find though, as these were made in the 1950's ☺️☺️ Take my word on these....if you don't believe me, then stick with you're voshkods...you've been told which is the best tube....

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #9,517 of 13,448
<Snip>
if you don't believe me, then stick with you're voshkods...you've been told which is the best tube....
</Snip>

Dude, keep the arrogance for your FB group...

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #9,518 of 13,448

EH900S Telefunken tubes, which run in EF95 setting...these are the most detailed, best tube I have ever encountered! I have the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV's and the Yugoslavian 6HM5's among many other different tubes, and these here are the most detailed tube EVER!!! This is true audio nirvana IMHO :smiley::smile: don't believe me??? Order a pair, which you'll find these on eBay, but they're pretty hard to find though, as these were made in the 1950's ☺️☺️ Take my word on these....if you don't believe me, then stick with you're voshkods...you've been told which is the best tube....

I take it you haven't yet tried the C3g?...
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #9,519 of 13,448

These are very similar to 6BY6...which I personally found just "ok".  The 6HM5/6HQ5, CV8083, and 6EW6 all trumped these...not to mention the C3G obviously.

If you like these tube types, I have a wide variety of these, 6EW6, 6DK6, etc to try for cheap...

-Mark in St. Louis

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #9,520 of 13,448
  Hi guys.

After the interesting musings on different C3gs, thought I'd take gibosi's invitation to try some very reasonably-priced NOS Lorenz with gold pins.

I won't be able to see how they compare to the Siemens 'S' versions just yet - it's back to adapter making for my Elise...thought I'd just about finished this (very time-consuming!) game, lol!...(gibosi, you have a lot to answer for mon ami!!
wink_face.gif
...but I must admit I am really curious to hear them after your own findings).

In the meantime just thought you might like to see the insides of them cheek to cheek - Lorenz to the left.

As you can see, quite a few differences between them...so different factories? - or just different Siemens manufacturing periods?...???

Cheers!

Those are some beautiful tubes=) Very nice photos! 

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #9,521 of 13,448
Hi Hypnos, nice pics there! What have you been up to lately? Haven't seen you around!
After reading the 6922 shootout i was lucky to get one 6N23P single wire getter post 75 grey shield, i think the one mentioned in that thread. I just popped it in and was surprised of the more forward details and its filigree character which i have noticed gives a tube an audiophile character.The C3G holds up to it easily so i am pleased with my momentary rather cheap tube setup for the LDMKIII.

Mentioned Thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761078/6922-tube-review-17-top-6922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes#post_11464856

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #9,522 of 13,448
  Those are some beautiful tubes=) Very nice photos! 

Thanks -MX-...do these Lorenz with gold pins look any different inside to yours?

I must admit, the more I look at them the more I'm inclined to think they are indeed a different factory to the Siemens...unless Siemens decided on MAJOR changes to their design! There are so many glaring differences...

Hi Hypnos, nice pics there! What have you been up to lately? Haven't seen you around!
After reading the 6922 shootout i was lucky to get one 6N23P single wire getter post 75 grey shield, i think the one mentioned in that thread. I just popped it in and was surprised of the more forward details and its filigree character which i have noticed gives a tube an audiophile character.The C3G holds up to it easily so i am pleased with my momentary rather cheap tube setup for the LDMKIII.

Mentioned Thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761078/6922-tube-review-17-top-6922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes#post_11464856

And thanks to you too, superdux.

Have been on hols and things, but also I'm ashamed to say most of my energies are no longer with my long-loved MKIV SE - my new Elise has ousted her big time!! 
redface.gif

tongue.gif
...So she is 'mothballed' for the moment (and I can still hear her pining, lol...). But she still holds a fond place in my heart...
L3000.gif

Yes, those 6N23P sure are VERY good tubes...but for me they just can't match my beloved C3gSs - as you may well have gathered by now I am TOTALLY besotted with them! 
wink_face.gif

Shall continue to keep an eye on this thread though...

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #9,523 of 13,448
  But even if the "HG" 6N23P tube was better than the 6922 PW, I think I would still keep the PW, as they really do something no other tube I've owned does. rb2013 talked about "flow", the ability to draw you in a magical musical world for hours on end, and the PW did that better than any other tube. Still, I'm really curious about the 6N23P!

I guess I got lucky about the price. I just read rb2013's shootout, was like "oh, let's take a look on ebay and have ourselves a good laugh" and bam, found one tube for 8 bucks... Just goes to show.

I see what you mean about those ebay adapters. Indeed one seller, happy something, sells adapters made from chopped up tubes, while the other seller seems more legit.

Hey AFB...have only just noticed you're back - sorry and WELCOME HOME!!

As you're the one who originally put me on the track of the C3g you have NO CHOICE but to go for them, lol! 
wink_face.gif

And with ebayer tubemalls selling the adapters (which look infinitely better than 'happyDIYetc.!) for $36 a pair I would save yourself the trouble...but as Mikelap says, be so careful when inserting/removing the tubes...it cost me also 2 rather expensive NOS 'S's  
redface.gif
. And as he also says, if all is working OK...KEEP 'EM IN!... only remove them if ABSOLUTELY necessary...they must go in/come out STRAIGHT...NO 'WORKING' to-and-fro at all...

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #9,524 of 13,448

Thanks -MX-...do these Lorenz with gold pins look any different inside to yours?

I must admit, the more I look at them the more I'm inclined to think they are indeed a different factory to the Siemens...unless Siemens decided on MAJOR changes to their design! There are so many glaring differences...

To my eyes, the insides look identical. Can't see any difference. My Lorenz were really dirty under the cover though. I had to clean them. Have you cleaned yours?

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #9,525 of 13,448
  To my eyes, the insides look identical. Can't see any difference. My Lorenz were really dirty under the cover though. I had to clean them. Have you cleaned yours?

Luckily mine were NOS and absolutely pristine...inside and out. Am really looking forward to seeing how they sound...will update as soon as I can get those darned adapters made!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back