Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Dec 2, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #8,506 of 13,434

Bendix 6080wb graphite plates i've look at those tubes before i build my CRACK amp and i nearly schiit on my pants when i saw how much they go for.

The price is crazy. I just hope that I get lucky and pick up a pair cheap. The Tung sol 5998's are also supposedly very nice but unfortunately they are also ridiculously priced
:frowning2:(

I wanted those tubes for my crack but did not pull the trigger instead i got my self a SEX amp.Good Luck!

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #8,507 of 13,434
Hi I love music 2,

How many amps does your car battery carry [cold cranking amps LOL]? It's a neat idea though. How does it compare to a good PC power supply?

At this point my hum level has been lowered quite a lot by using a Win7 laptop with the little outboard DAC. There is now no hum at loud levels, but I still get it when I turn the volume all the way up, but I couldn't listen to such loud levels. (Testing the system without playing music)

Years ago I bought an AC power line conditioner that helps to lower RF and EMI noise, and most of my equipment is plugged into it. Reminds me that I have an isolation transformer lying around - gonna find it and try it again.

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #8,508 of 13,434
  Hi I love music 2,

How many amps does your car battery carry [cold cranking amps LOL]? It's a neat idea though. How does it compare to a good PC power supply?

At this point my hum level has been lowered quite a lot by using a Win7 laptop with the little outboard DAC. There is now no hum at loud levels, but I still get it when I turn the volume all the way up, but I couldn't listen to such loud levels. (Testing the system without playing music)

Years ago I bought an AC power line conditioner that helps to lower RF and EMI noise, and most of my equipment is plugged into it. Reminds me that I have an isolation transformer lying around - gonna find it and try it again.

Plenty enough to weld some metals if you short them:)
Very CLEAN SOUNDING NO HUM/NOISE  very quiet background.

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #8,510 of 13,434
Please don't bring your CAR inside your house just to power-up your LD amp tubes.
atsmile.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #8,512 of 13,434

This is to proved that CLEAN POWER is good for Tube amps i don't know if SS amp will be the same. 

Yes, also, quantity depends on quality of the power supply and built in power filters, generally.

So i guess having a really good power supply is a good start if you are building your own amp but that is probably expensive.

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #8,513 of 13,434
I forgot to mention my setup for the car battery test was Sylvania Chrome top 2 6SN7 GTB for the power and 1 Chatham 6AS7G for the driver this setup have a slight hum when i have it plug-in to my Desktop PS but with the CAR BATTERY very quiet.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #8,514 of 13,434

Congrats and enjoy!
beerchug.gif

Thanks :D I'm enjoying it very much. Listening through it at this moment using RCA 6AS7's and Japanese 6SJ7 mesh plates. Cant wait to get my hands on the Tung Sol mesh plates and the Bendix 6080wb graphite plates as they are supposed to be the best combo with this amp.

If im not mistaken the 5693 reds are suppose to be good with this amp                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #8,515 of 13,434
Dec 2, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #8,516 of 13,434
  Nice, sounds interesting. Wish I could listen to one. One of the drawbacks to living in the countryside in Wales is there are no audio stores to speak of within 100 miles. Though speaking of upgrades a present arrived via DHL today :)

Congrats!
beerchug.gif

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #8,517 of 13,434
  If im not mistaken the 5693 reds are suppose to be good with this amp                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Yes, they are supposed to be a very warm sounding tube but the mesh plates extend the soundstage and add more detail I believe from what I have read. I will most likely end up getting both 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back