Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Dec 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #8,491 of 13,434
I just ordered 2 sets of 6J1P-EV (EF95 6F32 6AK7) VHF pentode tubes with gold-Platinum grid! 
biggrin.gif

Do I need to change something in my Little Dot, or can these replace the current RTC 5654RT's without problems?

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #8,492 of 13,434
  I just ordered 2 sets of 6J1P-EV (EF95 6F32 6AK7) VHF pentode tubes with gold-Platinum grid! 
biggrin.gif

Do I need to change something in my Little Dot, or can these replace the current RTC 5654RT's without problems?

Nothing different needs to be done. Pull the RTC's out and plug the Voskhods in.

Cheers

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #8,495 of 13,434
  The problem is the stock LD power tubes are double triodes, and the C3g is a single triode-strapped pentode, so it is not as simple as using a 6NS7 or a 5687. However, it is my understanding that it could be done, if the LD has the two halves of the 6H30P configured in series, one driving the other. Hook the grid of the C3g to the pin corresponding to the grid of the first half of the 6H30P, pin 7, and the plate and cathode of the C3g to the plate and cathode of the second half, pins 1 and 3. Connect the heaters to pins 4 and 5, and leave the other pins in the socket disconnected. This assumes you have already done the strapping necessary to convert the Cg3 into a triode. And it just might work. :)

Thanks Gibosi, what would we do without you :wink: It would be a new experimental adapter. This could possibly be a Xmas project after a communication Mr ZheZhe :wink:

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #8,496 of 13,434
While I wait for the 6HM5s to arrive  (and soon C3 gs ¡) I received some nice old  6SN7s, and yes, they are a step above the stock 6N6Ps.    I used the TS 6485s to test the powers,   my current favorite,  along with the Sylvania JHS 6AH6.  Both tubes are 6AH6 variants,  but they do sound different.  The TSs are a bit more detailed,   and the Sylvanias have deeper bass.  

Tung-Sol  6485s, early sixties I think

Very nice sounding Nos Sylvanias.   Note the mil-spec black coating... 

Just for comparison, Soviet  6J5Ps, which is a copy of the U.S. 6485. This particular pair from an extint Ukranian factory I think.  Nice looking, but awful sounding IMHO.  These tubes were NOT made for audio.    However, you never know, probably Svetlana "winged C" 6J5Ps will sound very good...quality varies a lot from different Soviet factories and years of production. 

In contrast, the 6SN7GT Tungsrams (photo from an ad) are excellent tubes, obviously Soviet made and rebranded.  Mine look older than these, and are probably late fifties/early sixties Foton factory.  

Trio of CBS Hytrons, 1954.   Classic tube sound with detail, warmth, ambience and  very deep bass. Outstanding tubes.  For me, the Soviet Tungsrams sounded  very close,  and I wonder if the similar "T" plate construction has to do something with this.  

Quad ITT Japan 6SN7GTB, parallel black plates, top "O" getter.  The least "tubey"  sounding of the three, or maybe more "modern" sounding.   Not  particularly warm or romantic, but very detailed with tight bass impact and dynamics, like good solid state.   Best sounding tube with my speakers,  that are a little "bass heavy" so its tight bass make a good combination.     

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #8,497 of 13,434
Couldn't resist to make a non-tube upgrade to improve my tube (and ss-) sound:

This is an Power Inspired AG500 power re-generator. It is specced for 500 W and includes batteries to run the system in case of a loss of power for a short time. It converts AC to DC and DC back to AC. Six devices can be connected via female IEC connectors at the back, to which I connected adapters (IEC male to power socket). The unit is active but this model allows to set the fan speed manually and in my ears it is very very quiet at say about 75 % of the max fan speed.
This is a flowchart from the software included. It shows current stats of the power regeneration and as you can see the load is 0 %. That is with 2 amps and one DAC connected and running. I needed a power hungry lamp on top to trigger a load of 25 %.

The cleaner power has a positive effect on my Little dot and Questyle amps. The stage gets deeper and develops more volume. More details are revealed, I really discovered a lot more microdetails with the AG500 connected. The sound becomes less "shrieking" and more refined. Overall, it quite adds to the SQ. I recommend it. The, still reasonably quiet, version without fan control comes for £299, the one with for £349. Considering, you can use this unit throughout all your upgrades and gear, it is a reasonable price and if you compare it to the prices of other re-generator units, this is actually a bargain.
If you want to know more, here is a proper review: http://headmania.org/2013/09/02/power-inspired-ag500-power-regenerator-review/

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #8,498 of 13,434
 Dumbest thing i've done when it comes to power,I took a CAR Battery and used my 12A regulator to power-up my 6AS7G's for the MK III it works and have a very quiet/clean background and deeper bass this i like but car batteries are ugly and heavy.
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #8,499 of 13,434
Nice, sounds interesting. Wish I could listen to one. One of the drawbacks to living in the countryside in Wales is there are no audio stores to speak of within 100 miles. Though speaking of upgrades a present arrived via DHL today :)

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #8,503 of 13,434

Congrats and enjoy!
beerchug.gif

Thanks :D I'm enjoying it very much. Listening through it at this moment using RCA 6AS7's and Japanese 6SJ7 mesh plates. Cant wait to get my hands on the Tung Sol mesh plates and the Bendix 6080wb graphite plates as they are supposed to be the best combo with this amp.

Bendix 6080wb graphite plates i've look at those tubes before i build my CRACK amp and i nearly schiit on my pants when i saw how much they go for.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #8,505 of 13,434

Dumbest thing i've done when it comes to power,I took a CAR Battery and used my 12A regulator to power-up my 6AS7G's for the MK III it works and have a very quiet/clean background and deeper bass this i like but car batteries are ugly and heavy.
biggrin.gif

Brilliant though!

This is to proved that CLEAN POWER is good for Tube amps i don't know if SS amp will be the same. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back