Little Dot MKIV vs. MKIV SE
Apr 26, 2008 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ascherjim

100+ Head-Fier
While I currently have a Little Dot MKII and am very pleased with it after a modicum of tube rolling, I need another tube amp for another household(!) and am considering moving up to a MKIV. Maybe this question has already been answered elsewhere in this forum, but I can't seem to find it if it has. What are the pros and cons of the MKIV vis a vis the MKIV SE (assuming both will eventually become available again)? Many thanks.

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 8
Well the differences between them are on the website Viewing a thread - New Little Dot MK IV Pictures

The MKIV and SE share the same circuit board and board components.

The MKIV and SE have different tube sets and connectors. These are their only differences.

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the differences between them are on the website Viewing a thread - New Little Dot MK IV Pictures

The MKIV and SE share the same circuit board and board components.

The MKIV and SE have different tube sets and connectors. These are their only differences.

vvanrji: Thanks for the quick response. I had in fact already seen that posting. But my question really asked for an evaluation of the "pros and cons." In other words, what would the reasons be that a potential purchaser, like myself, would spend $100 more for the SE? Would that extra $100 be well spent? Are the different tubes and connectors worth it, or would the extra $100 be better spent in rolling different tubes? Then it possibly becomes a matter of the inherent value of the different connectors. I'd appreciate any further thoughts you, or anyone else, might share with me in this regard.

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascherjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vvanrji: Thanks for the quick response. I had in fact already seen that posting. But my question really asked for an evaluation of the "pros and cons." In other words, what would the reasons be that a potential purchaser, like myself, would spend $100 more for the SE? Would that extra $100 be well spent? Are the different tubes and connectors worth it, or would the extra $100 be better spent in rolling different tubes? Then it possibly becomes a matter of the inherent value of the different connectors. I'd appreciate any further thoughts you, or anyone else, might share with me in this regard.

The differences were better tubes, about $60-$70 worth (matched sets). Better connectors, about $20 or so worth, and a two year warranty instead of one year. Everyone has a different opinion on how much that might be worth, so I guess you can calculate it however you'd like.
smily_headphones1.gif
For me, it looked like a good deal, but I have a funny feeling we may never see the "SE" again. Time will tell.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The differences were better tubes, about $60-$70 worth (matched sets). Better connectors, about $20 or so worth, and a two year warranty instead of one year. Everyone has a different opinion on how much that might be worth, so I guess you can calculate it however you'd like.
smily_headphones1.gif
For me, it looked like a good deal, but I have a funny feeling we may never see the "SE" again. Time will tell.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, Penchum. If it should be true that we never see the SE again, then of course my potential decision becomes easier. Much easier! Regards.

May 10, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I remember an old T.V. commercial about Red Rose tea here in Canada. It was 'Brits' on the commercial, and when they found out the tea was only available in Canada, they'd say 'pity'.

I have about 60 hours or so on my LD MKIV SE now. Penchum, this amp sounds better every time I listen to it. I have no other point of reference, and to be honest I don't think I ever will. My Grado's have never sounded better, nor has my music (and I'm not exactly using a great transport).

So, to borrow a line from that commerical, if the LD MKIV SE will never be sold again - pity. But I sure am glad I got one of the last ones
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 8
Congrats man, thats one fine amp you got there!

May 10, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember an old T.V. commercial about Red Rose tea here in Canada. It was 'Brits' on the commercial, and when they found out the tea was only available in Canada, they'd say 'pity'.

I have about 60 hours or so on my LD MKIV SE now. Penchum, this amp sounds better every time I listen to it. I have no other point of reference, and to be honest I don't think I ever will. My Grado's have never sounded better, nor has my music (and I'm not exactly using a great transport).

So, to borrow a line from that commerical, if the LD MKIV SE will never be sold again - pity. But I sure am glad I got one of the last ones
biggrin.gif

This has been my experience as well. You still have some hours too go yet, but it is all good.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've got a serious amount of hours on mine, and I can't imagine wanting anything further. With my latest tube rolling, I'm very hooked on the results.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back