Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Feb 3, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #2,116 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anybody else confirm this?

Those definitely look like the ones I had, especially the "rocket" symbol on the box. The description also says "Voschod". These are the goods. Seems like a good price too. I paid close to $40 for my pair.

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #2,117 of 3,408
Well I ended up cancelling all the orders I put in and went with Trapper32 (Who I HIGHLY recommend. Hes a great person and really stuck threw all the mess with me! Now I just have to get some Mullard M8161's. Anything else I should look into?

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #2,118 of 3,408
I am wondering if my tubes are stock for the Little Dot MK III or not.

Power Tubes say 6H6N-N (last N seems to be like a backwards N) and under that it says 0484

Driver tubes say 5654 then under it says USA. On the other side it says something in green but its worn off.

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #2,120 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by page28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Shizdan
I got some Groove tubes for my MKII from here

Made by Russia , Voskhod, Kaluga: (X./1975).

Holy smokes 2EUR per pair! thats mega cheap!

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #2,121 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy smokes 2EUR per pair! thats mega cheap!

i have just bought three pair of these
evil_smiley.gif

thats really good opportunity for tube-rolling

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #2,122 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by page28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Shizdan
I got some Groove tubes for my MKII from here

Made by Russia , Voskhod, Kaluga: (X./1975).

this link is tube p*rn...I don't thank you mister!!
biggrin.gif

ok, I'm getting a Musiland Monitor 02US and I have a cd1k(same 32Ω/104dB drivers as the cd3k)...I crave for an amazing 3D holographic SS w/ thick bass and sexy trebles...what would you guys advise? a cheap Little Dot w/ some russian tubes?

oh god, I love the sound of that....hopefully it'd sound as good as it looks
popcorn.gif

the AD797B/LT1028A/Burson v2 opamps got me as close as I could get from tubey, but I think I want the real deal now...no more mr nice guy
ph34r.gif

PS: huh, apparently the LDI+ has both op-amps and tubes...I'd rather avoid opamps completely
redface.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #2,123 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this link is tube p*rn...I don't thank you mister!!
biggrin.gif

ok, I'm getting a Musiland Monitor 02US and I have a cd1k(same 32Ω/104dB drivers as the cd3k)...I crave for an amazing 3D holographic SS w/ thick bass and sexy trebles...what would you guys advise? a cheap Little Dot w/ some russian tubes?

oh god, I love the sound of that....hopefully it'd sound as good as it looks
popcorn.gif

the AD797B/LT1028A/Burson v2 opamps got me as close as I could get from tubey, but I think I want the real deal now...no more mr nice guy
ph34r.gif

PS: huh, apparently the LDI+ has both op-amps and tubes...I'd rather avoid opamps completely
redface.gif

I have the little dot mk2 and I like it for the fact that it is relatively neutral with the right tubes (currently using the we403b driver and russian 6n6p as power tubes) and not for its tubeyness. It might actually be more neutral sounding than many solid state amps above its price with that configuration. I think its more neutral than my old headfive, c2c, and gilmore lite amps and much cheaper to boot. The gilmore lite have a slightly more refined top end but the mids on the glite is also a little soft IMO which make it sound less neutral overall with my high impedance senns. When using low impedance cans, the ld mk2 starts to get dull sounding and less controlled.

Ive heard that if you want an inexpensive amp that sounds tubey, get the musical paradise 301 that skylab reviewed. I havent heard it myself though.

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #2,126 of 3,408
well, I tried a Corda Arietta...which is an improved HeadFive, and it was sounding pretty bad.

so this guy ditched the tubes off his LDI+? weird

ok thanks for the suggestions, but these head-fi "reviews" based on free samples are always raving(it's hard to diss free stuff), besides the same reviewer said that the Arrieta sounded good...which it does not IME.

many ppl on french forums laugh at the head-fi reviews, that are always sounding like sales pitch....like that uDAC thread, hahah! how does a crappy pot(the last posts in the thread talk about stereo imbalance at low volume) on a $1 DAC/cheapo USB chip could possibly sound any good? someone compared it to the Monitor 02, and it was a headshot...yet, if you read that shilly thread, it's the 8th world wonder
rolleyes.gif

reviewing free stuff biases you...this said, Skylab's test seems engaging...I could possibly bite(hopefully not my tongue again
tongue_smile.gif
)

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #2,128 of 3,408
Quote:

well, I tried a Corda Arietta...which is an improved HeadFive, and it was sounding pretty bad.

so this guy ditched the tubes off his LDI+? weird

ok thanks for the suggestions, but these head-fi "reviews" based on free samples are always raving(it's hard to diss free stuff), besides the same reviewer said that the Arrieta sounded good...which it does not IME.

many ppl on french forums laugh at the head-fi reviews, that are always sounding like sales pitch....like that uDAC thread, hahah! how does a crappy pot(the last posts in the thread talk about stereo imbalance at low volume) on a $1 DAC/cheapo USB chip could possibly sound any good? someone compared it to the Monitor 02, and it was a headshot...yet, if you read that shilly thread, it's the 8th world wonder
rolleyes.gif

reviewing free stuff biases you...this said, Skylab's test seems engaging...I could possibly bite(hopefully not my tongue again
tongue_smile.gif
)

Just a quick note on my end - my personal policy is that I do NOT keep review samples. If the maker does not want to get the sample back, I give it away (which anyone can easily verify by looking through head-fi's For Sale threads), or in some cases, I buy them. I bought the Musical Paradise MP301 actually BEFORE the review. My preference for reviews is to be send a review LOANER, and in many cases this is how it works. But if it doesn't make sense for the manufacturer to pay for shipping an amp back to China, for example, then I give such samples away in the forums here, with the request and hope that the recipient will review it. I will periodically keep a given item on hand for a few months if I want to use it as a reference against other incoming review units, but that's it. Otherwise, I send it back, give it away, or buy it.

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #2,130 of 3,408
Quote:

yep, sorry for that Skylab...I truly didn't mean it as a personal attack!
otakonleboss.gif

but you have to agree that there's a lot of biased reviews on headfi..

No worries - I did not take it as such - I just wanted to make sure everyone knew where I stand on this topic. There has been so much question in general, and I do write a lot of reviews, that I think it's important for me to state my policy explicitly.

Regarding the MP301, I had no problem buying it - I still think at $200 it's an incredible bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back