Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Nov 10, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #1,966 of 3,408
HI,

Should we choose the tubes according to the headphones we own? If yes, would someone be kind enough to let me know which tubes I should consider with Grado 325i for the LDIII please. Presently I have the stock tubes.

Thanks in advance
Denys

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #1,967 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HI,

Should we choose the tubes according to the headphones we own? If yes, would someone be kind enough to let me know which tubes I should consider with Grado 325i for the LDIII please. Presently I have the stock tubes.

Thanks in advance
Denys

M8161s are by far my favorite with the 325i.

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #1,968 of 3,408
Decided to go cheap for my first purchase and jumped on an auction for some Raytheon 6AK5's (4 of them) for 9 bucks shipped. They appear to be used, but the seller ("3d_electrical) seems reputable. Anyone tried these tubes with the MKIII? Seems like there's been more discussion about the Raytheon 6AK5W's then the 6AK5's. Here's the description from the auction:

Quote:

A matched set of 4 amplifier tubes type 6AK5.

The tubes are used pulls, Raytheon brand, and are marked JRP-6AK5.

Tubes test good on a Heath IT-17 tube tester. These tubes have well matched emissions.

Have a look at my other listings for more tubes like these!

Payment: Pay-Pal is preferred. I will accept a check from USA. Please make payment within 5 business days.

Shipping & handling: cost listed is my best estimate to ship via USPS parcel post from 08822 to continental US.

If you are elsewhere, or prefer other shipping arrangements, please contact me. Shipping can often be combined for multiple purchases.

No charge for packing with care! I will ship within 3 business days after receipt of payment.

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #1,970 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by internethandle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Decided to go cheap for my first purchase and jumped on an auction for some Raytheon 6AK5's (4 of them) for 9 bucks shipped.

I think you'll like what you hear. The difference is that the W indicates military grade. I don't know enough about tubes to know if there is a major difference, but I have to believe they are very similar. I would think the year they were made would be important, not that I'd be any help in figuring out date codes.

I had a matched pair of 1952 Raytheon 6AK5W. They had black plates, D getters, with an Navy anchor symbol on it. It was a great looking tube and it was my favorite in terms of sound, as well. They got the most use out of all of my tubes and I had a bunch. (Granted I had a few "odds and ends", but still, I had some nice tubes.)

To me, they were not overly "tubey" sounding. Very smooth, but detailed, with less of a soundstage than some other tubes, more of a tube hybrid sound.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #1,971 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*SNIP* The difference is that the W indicates military grade. *SNIP*

EDIT:

"6AK5, 6AK5W (better quality), 5654 (add W and SQ for better quality types)"

So I'd guess they last longer and should sound better, but not 100% sure of this.

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #1,972 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinisterm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT:

"6AK5, 6AK5W (better quality), 5654 (add W and SQ for better quality types)"

So I'd guess they last longer and should sound better, but not 100% sure of this.

From what I've read the military grade tubes are less susceptible to interference
smile.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #1,973 of 3,408
I like the Raytheons. The 6ak5w are some of my favorites. I'm not sure if the 6ak5 are that much different - probably not. With my HD650s they have nice tight deep bass with good low midrange impact and nice highs, but not bright.

Some general observations at least with my HD650s:

EF95 tubes have less soundstage but strong tight bass and more in your face sound. This is good for rock and jazz.

EF92 tubes have more soundstage than the EF95 tubes. Bass is good but can get a little loose. Nice warm sound, maybe even tubey! Good for all music (except maybe thrash or metal).

EF91 are way out soundstage (maybe too much). Bass can be weaker with less impact. Cool for acoustic music.

Whatever tubes are you favorite now may change in the future or even what mood you are in! I recommend rolling tubes every so often just for fun. That's what is really cool about owning an amp like this.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #1,975 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Raytheons. The 6ak5w are some of my favorites. I'm not sure if the 6ak5 are that much different - probably not. With my HD650s they have nice tight deep bass with good low midrange impact and nice highs, but not bright.

Some general observations at least with my HD650s:

EF95 tubes have less soundstage but strong tight bass and more in your face sound. This is good for rock and jazz.

EF92 tubes have more soundstage than the EF95 tubes. Bass is good but can get a little loose. Nice warm sound, maybe even tubey! Good for all music (except maybe thrash or metal).

EF91 are way out soundstage (maybe too much). Bass can be weaker with less impact. Cool for acoustic music.

Whatever tubes are you favorite now may change in the future or even what mood you are in! I recommend rolling tubes every so often just for fun. That's what is really cool about owning an amp like this.

Absolutely right. It seems my tastes in tubes change and it's great to get a different sound from time to time.

Question for anyone who cares to answer...I just started to experiment with this as a pre-amp a bit with my speaker system - any opinions or thoughts as to how effective (or noticeable) people find this with existing stereo systems. When I do it - I run my music from Macbook to an Airport Express--->Optical to ibasso d10 dac--->LD MKIII--->Denon Receiver--->speakers. Anyone using it as a pre-amp - what do you think and do you hear a significant improvement in your SQ?

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #1,976 of 3,408
Just bought some NOS GE 5 Stars from a Head-Fi'er.
smily_headphones1.gif

Having a bit of trouble parsing out of this thread the importance (or lack of importance) of power tube rolling in the MK III. It seems like the consensus is that it's not really necessary when compared to what driver tubes you're using, but other power tubes do provide a slightly different sound and are a nice curiousity. The only exception, my impression has been, is with the "bullplug" mod and branching out to even greater varieties of power tubes in terms of enthusiasm re: the LD MKIII and power tube rolling. Is this correct, or are there some power tubes I should look for? Was thinking of grabbing some 6N6P tubes on eBay, since they're all fairly cheap and plentiful, but how much of a difference they would make isn't very clear to me.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #1,977 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely right. It seems my tastes in tubes change and it's great to get a different sound from time to time.

Question for anyone who cares to answer...I just started to experiment with this as a pre-amp a bit with my speaker system - any opinions or thoughts as to how effective (or noticeable) people find this with existing stereo systems. When I do it - I run my music from Macbook to an Airport Express--->Optical to ibasso d10 dac--->LD MKIII--->Denon Receiver--->speakers. Anyone using it as a pre-amp - what do you think and do you hear a significant improvement in your SQ?

I use it as a preamp. improvement in SQ?!?! different sound with every set of drivers yes, improved i couldnt say.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #1,978 of 3,408
Re: power tubes. I tried some of the Electro Harmonix 6H30Pi tubes. I would say it gave the amp more gain, adding weight to the sound if that makes any sense. It just sounded more authoritative. Despite the fact that the amp supposedly has been revised to allow the use of these tubes I found the amp ran very hot with them in and I was afraid to use them for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. I thought it improved the sound but I didn't want to damage the amp. Ultimately I took them out.

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #1,979 of 3,408
Quote:

Got these as well as I posted earlier and will tell you they made a huge improvement to my k701s. Very noticeable and without a doubt my current favorites (along with some Mullard EF91s with blue glass I recently won on eBay). If your source is good I cannot imagine you won't love them.

The bass to my ears is absolutely perfect (although I have always felt the k701s deliver great bass as opposed to others). Still very tight - and IMO improved significantly (especially from the EF95 family I think).

Hi and thanks
I ll tell you when i get them if i find the bass more extended or not.

Otherwise to answer to your latest question i tried to use the LD as a pre amplifier but i was not convinced at all by the change. Acutally it sounded worse than with my pre amp

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #1,980 of 3,408
Quote:

Hey there!

I use it as a preamp for my (not so great) desktop monitors (Edirol MA15) and I find it makes a nice improvement. Definitely adds that "tubey" sound and fills out bass considerably. generally speaking just more "oomph" to what are admittedly not great speakers to begin with.

As to the tube discussions of late - I've found the GE 5-Stars to be my current favorite "all-arounder" - but I especially like them with my Grado (325is). I agree that the 91/92 tubes really shine with headphones like the sennheisers and music like classical - music that likes a lot of soundstage.

I've yet to do any power tube rolling, mostly due to the high price of the upgrade tubes, and the fact that with my low-impedence Grados they may not last very long. (After less than a year of not so heavy use the stock power tubes died on me. According to David that was not surprising because a low-impedance can would be a bigger load for the OTL tube amp.) So even though I've added an impedance adapter, I'm still wary of spending the money for something so iffy... have the prices on those 6H30pi tubes come down at all? Last I checked they were like $65 a pair...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back