Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Oct 5, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #1,938 of 3,408
Hey, so I recently purchased a new MKIII which is on its way here from China

This is my first tube amp so I'm pretty excited and want to get some premium tubes to have for its arrival.

I'm going to be pairing it with my grado RS-1's. What are some of the best tubes you guys have used, and more specifically, what are some of the best ones to use with grados?

From what i read in the thread it sounds like Tung-Sol and Mullards seem to be the best in general but I want to know your guys experience with grados.

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #1,939 of 3,408
How do you actually 'roll tubes' do you need to adjust the bias before putting them in?

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #1,942 of 3,408
Those are supposed to be some nice tubes. I never got to try them. Unfortunately, I recently sold my LD MKIII to fund a new source purchase.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #1,943 of 3,408
Those are supposed to be some nice tubes. I never got to try them. Unfortunately, I recently sold my LD MKIII to fund a new source purchase.

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #1,944 of 3,408
Hi there,

just wanted to let you know that my LD MKIII will arrive in early next week (I can hardly wait!).

However I already bought a few tubes, to have something to play around...

I just bought 3 matched pairs for now:
Mullard 10M Master Series EF95
1940's Tung-Sol EF95
1940's Raytheon EF95

Maybe I made a mistake to waste my money, even on the expensive Mullard Master Series but anyway I like their packing
k701smile.gif

Some of you may wonder why I just spend my money on EF95 only...
First I want to get used to the default kind of tube - I will keep my option to try something totally different, later on.

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #1,945 of 3,408
Hello i just bought an LD MK III on the FS forums and it came with 6 pairs of tubes.

I was wondering if anyone had tried these driver tubes with HD600 and had any recommendations where to start?

mullard ef95/cv850
silver plate rca 6ak5
tung sol 6ak5s
some sylvania and rca 5654

Also what is the recommended gain for my different headphones?

HD600 I have been using 10 for the senns based on Penchum's review.
ATH-A900
Grado SR125
Denon D1001

Thanks Carter

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #1,946 of 3,408
Hi,

no idea about any tubes, so far I'm still waiting for mine...

Regarding gain settings, I searched the forum and contacted the seller, which seems to know fairly good any kind of headphone equipment.
Anyway, he advised me to try a gain setting, where the volumne knob is in the middle (12 clock) for my normal listening position.
According to him, this is the poti's sweet spot and gives best sound.

For my K701 gain 4 does it pretty well. However I noticed the sound to be more tubelike when rising the knob to 2 or 3 clock...

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #1,947 of 3,408
I've been on a bit of a tube buying spree - had previously picked up the Mullard EF92s - and at first found them a little under-powered (particularly for my k701s) - but after some burn in they seemed to open up nicely. I find that they really take the edge off of any brightness - sound very good and I am particularly fond of them with the Grado 325is'. Anyway - this led me to the EF91s - I bought and received a pair on eBay - these were listed as Mullard/CV4014/EF91/6AM6 - there is no shield on them. I have been listening to them and quite frankly can say these are my favorites right now - what a spectacular beautiful sound - they make the k701s absolutely sing - tremendous acoustics, voices and guitars are right on and it delivers a really nice bass.

So....I then won an eBay action the other day for (5) Mullard EF91s and am waiting for them. The picture shows a shield, EF91 printed on it and they are blue in the middle. Can anyone tell me if these are these same, similar or different from the CV4014s I mentioned above? Thanks.

Oct 25, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #1,948 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been on a bit of a tube buying spree - had previously picked up the Mullard EF92s - and at first found them a little under-powered (particularly for my k701s) - but after some burn in they seemed to open up nicely. I find that they really take the edge off of any brightness - sound very good and I am particularly fond of them with the Grado 325is'. Anyway - this led me to the EF91s - I bought and received a pair on eBay - these were listed as Mullard/CV4014/EF91/6AM6 - there is no shield on them. I have been listening to them and quite frankly can say these are my favorites right now - what a spectacular beautiful sound - they make the k701s absolutely sing - tremendous acoustics, voices and guitars are right on and it delivers a really nice bass.

So....I then won an eBay action the other day for (5) Mullard EF91s and am waiting for them. The picture shows a shield, EF91 printed on it and they are blue in the middle. Can anyone tell me if these are these same, similar or different from the CV4014s I mentioned above? Thanks.

the tubes without shield on them seem to me to be newer version? maybe produced in the 80s? the old ones will have "large shield" on them I think,

Oct 25, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #1,949 of 3,408
could any fellows tell more about the difference about m8161(ef92) and m8083(ef91), I have ld mk3 to drive hd650, I am torn which pair to buy.
I already have WE 403b and want to have a different experience.

is there a list of must listen tubes for little dot mk3?

smile.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #1,950 of 3,408
For the HD650, get the m8161 (EF92) tubes. They are a must have tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back