Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jul 16, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #1,906 of 3,397
(408a, 5654*, 5591, CV4010, CV5216, CV8246, 6069, CV10442, EF95*, M8100, 6AK5*, CV10100, CV8159, CV8225, CV850, 6J1, EF92, 6CQ6, CV4015, CV2023, V884, VP6, M8161, CV131, 9D6, W77, 6h30*, 6zh1*, 6h6*, EF91, CV4014, 6AM6) -wireless

This is a slightly modified version of the search string burried somewhere in this thread.

Just added a few there i saw missing right now.

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #1,907 of 3,397
Thanks morfic.
Is 6J1P-EV same as 6Zh1P-EV ?

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #1,908 of 3,397
Absolutely the same.
I got some from '71 to '84 and they all sound the same....great.
Some of the vertical ridges in the glass, some don't, the sound of them is always the same.
And i did buy the first two from yen1233, there was no point in doing this, which then i wasn't sure about, now many tubes later, i know those prices are ridiculous.

Using the above search there are even some tung sol on one of the 5 pages.

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #1,909 of 3,397
I just purchased my first couple of tubes. Can't wait to try out some tuberolling on my MKIII. I purchased the Russians and a pair of Sylvania Gold Brands.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #1,910 of 3,397
I've finished the 127 pages of this thread...my God! What a great read and a ton of ideas along the way I must say - thanks to everyone. So - as I read I of course was buying and starting to roll some tubes a bit as well. I first bought the Russians from Yen and what a huge improvement from the stock GEs - especially with my k701s. I can't say I loved them with the Grados - and started getting a little worried as I simply could not stop listening to the k701s once I started with them. I really love the Grado sound and they made my 325is' seem a little too bright for me (and I don't consider them a bright or harsh phone like others do). I followed that up with the Mullard 8161s and again, what a difference. The 8161s really mated beautifully with my Grados. They sound nice with the k701s but don't seem to have quite enough power if that makes sense. I actually need to crank the pot up to about 3 o'clock to get sufficient volume out of the k701s (and I'm good at about 12-1 o'clock when the Russians are in). Does that make sense and is there some type of load difference between different tubes (or perhaps EF95s vs EF92s)?

All in all I'm quite happy - and can say I have a preferred tube for each of my phones which is a nice option to have. I have 4 Mullard 8100s that I found online at less than $10 each (shipped) on the way so we'll see but I'm very happy right now.

Lastly - like many of you I ordered 4 (what I thought were GE 5-Stars) from Antique Electronic Supply. Once I read that was not what people were getting I simply crossed my fingers and hoped I got some good (same brand) tubes. Ended up getting 4 RCA 5654s so they were all the same brand at least. Not horrible for about $20.

What a great amp this is and a lot of fun!

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #1,911 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've finished the 127 pages of this thread...my God! What a great read and a ton of ideas along the way I must say - thanks to everyone. So - as I read I of course was buying and starting to roll some tubes a bit as well. I first bought the Russians from Yen and what a huge improvement from the stock GEs - especially with my k701s. I can't say I loved them with the Grados - and started getting a little worried as I simply could not stop listening to the k701s once I started with them. I really love the Grado sound and they made my 325is' seem a little too bright for me (and I don't consider them a bright or harsh phone like others do). I followed that up with the Mullard 8161s and again, what a difference. The 8161s really mated beautifully with my Grados. They sound nice with the k701s but don't seem to have quite enough power if that makes sense. I actually need to crank the pot up to about 3 o'clock to get sufficient volume out of the k701s (and I'm good at about 12-1 o'clock when the Russians are in). Does that make sense and is there some type of load difference between different tubes (or perhaps EF95s vs EF92s)?

All in all I'm quite happy - and can say I have a preferred tube for each of my phones which is a nice option to have. I have 4 Mullard 8100s that I found online at less than $10 each (shipped) on the way so we'll see but I'm very happy right now. .........

What a great amp this is and a lot of fun!

Have the same headphones as you
Good to hear that. Waiting for my MK III
Will try those tube for sure
k701smile.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #1,912 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there some type of load difference between different tubes (or perhaps EF95s vs EF92s)?

I'm not too sure on the exact load difference, but I believe that EF92 draws a higher current than EF95s do. What I've found in rolling tubes so far is that the EF92/EF91's sound MUCH better in my LD than a couple EF95s (the Russian 6Z tubes and Mullard 8100): the soundstage is much clearer and wide, and the sound is now out from between my ears and has become much more laid back - it really opened up the potential of my unit! I recently found what I've decided are my holy grail in rolling tubes in first my LD II++ and now my LD MK IV SE: Amperex 6CQ6 EF92 NOS tubes. I bought a large batch of them after my excitement over how superior they've been to everything else I've rolled in the past 3 years and how impossible they are to find, I think I went a little overboard though, haha! I'm thinking about putting some of them up on here now... As far as I've seen, Penchum and I are the only ones who have pairs of these tubes. Does anyone else have them?

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #1,913 of 3,397
I have some Amperex EF91s which are good tubes. I like my Brimars little bit better though. Do the Amperex EF92s light up bright like the EF91s?

One thing I've noticed about the EF91 and EF92 tubes is that i've never heard a bad one. They're all British made so that may have something to do with it.

There are some bad sounding EF95 tubes for sure, but there are some really good ones too. My favorite are the 1950s Raytheon's 6AK5W. They just have just about everything right for me and my HD650s.

Your right though, the EF91 and EF92s tend to have a larger soundstage.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #1,914 of 3,397
Sorry, got to chime in, while i have no Amperex tubes at all, i agree on increased "depth" of both my (Mullard) EF92 tubes and my (Mullard) CV4014/EF91 (light up when you turn them on, lately i find them to be almost white when doing so)
I prefer my EF91 over the EF92, they seem to have a nicer, more intense low end, with nicer vocals, compared to small shield or large shield EF92 Mullards, which have clearer vocals than most EF95 tubes.

But of all the tubes i have, i only have one pair of Raytheon 6AK5 from i guess week (51 of 1981), and they seem overall the most fun tubes of all the EF95s, if i could get them for the same price as the 6Zh1P-EV, i would certainly stockpile (i have 24 6Zh1P-EV....just in case).
At the price, i prefer "The Russians", which are still a huge improvement over the stock tubes.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #1,915 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some Amperex EF91s which are good tubes. I like my Brimars little bit better though. Do the Amperex EF92s light up bright like the EF91s?

Max, my Amperex EF92s don't light up bright, they have a mellow and dim power-on. Wow, after hearing how great my Amperex EF92s have been, I really want to hear the Brimars or the Amperex EF91! Would you consider a trade of one pair for one of my EF92? I've been dying to try a good Brimar
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by morfic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, got to chime in, while i have no Amperex tubes at all, i agree on increased "depth" of both my (Mullard) EF92 tubes and my (Mullard) CV4014/EF91 (light up when you turn them on, lately i find them to be almost white when doing so)
I prefer my EF91 over the EF92, they seem to have a nicer, more intense low end, with nicer vocals, compared to small shield or large shield EF92 Mullards, which have clearer vocals than most EF95 tubes.

Morfic, don't apologize for chiming in, this is what the forum exists for, right? LOL, I actually just received my Mullard EF91s (with the blue glass around the middle), but after I fell in love with the Amperex EF92, I haven't been able to tear myself from them and even try the Mullards, let alone let them burn in to compare them!! I should probably do that.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #1,916 of 3,397
The Brimar tubes that have come up on e-bay have been pretty cheap. Keep an eye out for them. The Raytheons 6ak5w are pretty cheap too when they come up. Cheap, meaning around 3 bucks a tube. You just have to be patient.

To be honest there's isn't a huge difference in my EF-91 tubes. I have a pair of Amperex, Mullard and Brimar, but I do like the Brimar the best with my HD-650s.

I would like to try some Amperex EF92s, but I think my tube buying days are over. I have enough tubes to last me through my lifetime and then some, lol!

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #1,917 of 3,397
I know I shouldn't have, but I found a pair of NOS Brimar EF91s today for $4/each! Max, it's because of your take on them that got me interested. Alright, so NOW I should be done buying tubes for quite some time
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want to swap some Amperex EF91 for a pair of my EF92 (at no cost to either of us aside from shipping), let me know! I'd certainly like to give those a shot, too.

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #1,918 of 3,397
Unfortunately, I only have one pair of Amperex EF91. I don't want to part with them mainly cause they are so cool when they light up!

The Brimars are pretty neat too with their silver glass. I like how they look.

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #1,919 of 3,397
Shucks.... Oh well, I GUESS I'll have to settle with my other amazing tubes right now
wink_face.gif

I finally built the nerve to take my Amperex EF92 out and put in the Mullard EF91 w/ blue glass - those things lit up like a star when I turned them on, fun! Time to get those burned in before the Brimar EF91 get here, then it'll be time to compare all 3. Fun personal testing time within the next week or two!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back