Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Feb 19, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #3,181 of 3,408
Got it.

Thanks again 

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #3,182 of 3,408
 If the wires are still long enough for the new POT just solder the harness to the new POT or if the wires become short for the replacement POT then you can clipped short the wires on the connector and solder a longer wires to the connector wires to your new POT.

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #3,183 of 3,408
I also used that stepped attenuator. It brings a substantial improvement, and is probably better than any pot which will fit in the space available. I re-used the original wires, using a decent temperature-controlled soldering iron (carefully, using a fairly high temperature for a very short time, as if working on a headphone driver).

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #3,184 of 3,408
i luvmusic 2:

Thanks for the help.  My wires are now too short and difficult to solder.  I contacted Little Dot and they have a replacement Pot. 

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #3,185 of 3,408
Your welcome!

BTW that is not a real ATTENUATOR  it's nothing more than a regular pot with gears so it click.....

This is one of the real attenuators(cheap schiit and it works better than my ALPS BLUE VELVET).

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #3,186 of 3,408
The issue is finding something that will fit in the case! The DACT I have (from Taiwan, if I remember correctly) is a real attenuator, with a "dead spot" between each position. It seems to use SMD resistors though, rather that the full-size TTH components used in the upscale attenuators.

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #3,187 of 3,408
  I don't think if you can fit a real attenuator on the MK III without hacking or replacing the case not much room to work within the stock case however i manage to install a ALPS BLUE VELVET into my MK III with a good results if you are willing to do it it can be done.PHOTOS ARE FOR REFFERENCE ONLY I'AM NOT RESPONSIBLE TO ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR UNIT.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #3,188 of 3,408
We should probably all just have started with a Mk IV....

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #3,189 of 3,408
Scutey:

Getting there.  Looking Good.  Just waiting for my new Volume Pot
It is killing me not being able to hear these.

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #3,190 of 3,408
  Scutey:

Getting there.  Looking Good.  Just waiting for my new Volume Pot
It is killing me not being able to hear these.

I feel your pain, just remember though, good things come to those who wait!, and yes it is looking good!
biggrin.gif

Btw that's an interesting tube combo you have there, dare I ask how does it sound, or is it still waiting to be tried?.

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #3,191 of 3,408
  I feel your pain, just remember though, good things come to those who wait!, and yes it is looking good!
biggrin.gif

Btw that's an interesting tube combo you have there, dare I ask how does it sound, or is it still waiting to be tried?.

They are still waiting to be heard.

This is the Tube set up before i damaged the Volume Pot:

Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi for the Power Tubes. Telefunken 5654 for the Driver Tubes. (These sounded amazing)

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #3,192 of 3,408
  They are still waiting to be heard.

This is the Tube set up before i damaged the Volume Pot:

Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi for the Power Tubes. Telefunken 5654 for the Driver Tubes. (These sounded amazingI will be interested to

I will be interested to hear what you think of the Telefunkens as I have no experience with them.

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #3,193 of 3,408
  I will be interested to hear what you think of the Telefunkens as I have no experience with them.

Scutey:

This Tube combo is what I was using:

Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi for the Power Tubes. Telefunken 5654 for the Driver Tubes

Yes this combo sounds amazing.  I wanted to upgrade the power tubes to the 6SN7.  (that's when I damaged the wires to the Volume Pot when removing the Brass Trim rings)

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #3,194 of 3,408
  Scutey:

This Tube combo is what I was using:

Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi for the Power Tubes. Telefunken 5654 for the Driver Tubes

Yes this combo sounds amazing.  I wanted to upgrade the power tubes to the 6SN7.  (that's when I damaged the wires to the Volume Pot when removing the Brass Trim rings)

​The EH is a very good power tube, I have to say I like the 6SN7, I find it a bit more refined/detailed than 6n6 type, not a night and day difference but it's there, must have been a bummer when it was damaged but when it's fixed you'll probably enjoy it all the more!.

I hope you enjoy those 6SN7s!.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #3,195 of 3,408
Hi everyone,
This is my first post so please go easy on the noob! :)

So I've just bought a Little Dot Mk II and have several pairs of NOS tubes en-route (6N6P gold grid, Siemens 6AK5W, Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV).  The journey has begun and for now i'm stuck with the stock tubes.  I've seen a lot of talk of a "Siemens Blue Glass 6AK5W" but none of the sellers i've spoken to have heard of such a thing, only the regular Siemens 6AK5W.  Can someone help enlighten me?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back