Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Dec 21, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #16 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent advice - this is a great sounding amp with the stock tubes.

I think the stock GE 5654 are ok, but there certaintly are better tubes out there that will yield meaningful sonic improvements.
cool.gif

I do think it's a good idea to get familiar with your amp and stock tubes before venturing into the tube upgrade path, as it gives a better foundation for you to find the right sound that you prefer.

The link to the Yen Audio store's little dot upgrade tubes page: http://stores.ebay.com/Yen-Audio/Little-Dot-Tubes-/

Dec 22, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #17 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negatron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good start for a list. One small error, you have the GE 5 Star and the RCA Command switched. The GE 5 Star is a nice tube in the MKIII, the RCA command is not outstanding but smooth and quiet, both were the Hand Picked Broadcast line. The Mullard M8100 is a very Smooth and rounded sounding tube which you would expect from a Mullard. They are especially nice as you break the amp in. There is also the Western Electric 415A, not bad at all.

Another tube I personally prefer very much AFTER amp break-in, is the Tung-Sol 6AK5 Black Plate, a very smooth tube like the Mullard but with more detail at the frequency extremes. The best of all worlds. The plain-Jane RCA 5654 is not a bad tube at all and is under rated. Also, the later Sylvania JAN 5654W green label is a bit hard, but has some very good transient attack for Heavy rock or Metal. It is actually pretty difficult to make that amp sound bad. If it does, it's probably your cables or your source. JMO

Thank you all for the suggestions, I can't wait to start tube rolling my new MkIV. Can someone please comment more on the Sylvania Gold Brand tubes? I saw some selling on ebay for a pretty low price and it's just so tempting...
redface.gif

Dec 24, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #18 of 3,408
I just replaced the GE5654s with a couple of AEG EF95s (one hour ago). As yet, I've not experienced a detail enhancement. As a matter of fact, those AEGs were presumed that they would provide some vintage ambience rather than extraordinary details etc. The sound is warmer and lower frequencies are more intensive, maybe (maybe just a placebo effect). Need some days in order to be able to clarify the distinctions.

Dec 25, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #19 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negatron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The plain-Jane RCA 5654 is not a bad tube at all and is under rated. It is actually pretty difficult to make that amp sound bad. If it does, it's probably your cables or your source. JMO

I've been listening to some RCA 6AK5's myself and I totally agree with Negatron that they're quite under rated. The bass extension and mid-range clearity is quite surprising on the RCAs!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #22 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the stock GE 5654 are ok, but there certaintly are better tubes out there that will yield meaningful sonic improvements.
cool.gif

I do think it's a good idea to get familiar with your amp and stock tubes before venturing into the tube upgrade path, as it gives a better foundation for you to find the right sound that you prefer.

Do GE 5654W sound better than the stock tubes?

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #24 of 3,408
I 'm new with tubeamps so I've a couple of noob questions

1. If you change to the EF95, than you change te small tubes at the front right?
2. And how about the bigtubes at the back? Those are powertubes right? Does the sound improve when I change them?
3. How do I change the stock tubes with other tubes?

Jan 7, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #25 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by headcheck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RogerB, Think the reason for the lack of rolling info thus far is that the stocky are damm good in their own right.

I agree 100% headcheck!!! I haven't even considered rolling mine yet. Probably will be several months down the road.

Jan 7, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #26 of 3,408
Ok I clicked it !
biggrin.gif

Looking fwd to hear this baby
biggrin.gif

Nothing to compare with at the moment (wont consider the beresford amp), so I might get a ss or a DV 332 or 3322 next month to have some fun :p

Jan 9, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #27 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilgello /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I clicked it !
biggrin.gif

Looking fwd to hear this baby
biggrin.gif

Nothing to compare with at the moment (wont consider the beresford amp), so I might get a ss or a DV 332 or 3322 next month to have some fun :p

In the mean time make sure you burn it in real well (200hour min-my pick) As its needs this time to really show it quality. Then make the comparison

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #28 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by headcheck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the mean time make sure you burn it in real well (200hour min-my pick) As its needs this time to really show it quality. Then make the comparison

Sure!

I'm a total noob tho so I'll study a bit first!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #29 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by kickassdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I 'm new with tubeamps so I've a couple of noob questions

1. If you change to the EF95, than you change te small tubes at the front right?
2. And how about the bigtubes at the back? Those are powertubes right? Does the sound improve when I change them?
3. How do I change the stock tubes with other tubes?

1. The EF95 are the smaller tubes in front, they are also called driver tubes.
2. The big tubes are powertubes, they can be rolled too but it's a bit complicated as it's not entirely clear at this point as to which western tube is compatible with the Russian made 6H6Pi that comes stock. Give come check out this thread in a few weeks and it should be sorted out soon.
3. Just go look for EF95 tubes on ebay and that should be a good start. Once you got the new tubes it's just a straighforward matter of pulling the stock tubes out and putting in the new ones.

Welcome to head-fi. You know what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back