Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first page)
Apr 20, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #2,311 of 4,154
If you look at the schematic I posted you, you will notice that the grid of the tube connects to two 470k resistors in series with a .22uf capacitor between them, they are laid out in the opamp area along with the 2k and 390k resistors. You could just use an ohmeter to test each resistor value in the area and hope the cap doesn't mess with your readings, in either case just find the lowest voltage in that area of the circuit.

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #2,313 of 4,154
Pin 1 is connected to the coupling capacitor and two 470k resistors and a small red capacitor which connect to the opamp. The traces are probably on the other side of the board.
I'll see if I can post you my schematic, it's difficult on the phone.
As expected pin 6 is swinging to the positive rail trying to compensate for the connection to b-, thus creating a voltage divider.
Some voltage dividing math might reveal the culprit but I don't know if I have time for that.
The "AT" is the Appalachian trail, a 2100mile trail that goes through the Appalachian mountains. I finally managed to snag a signal at the top of an annoyingly tall mountain

I've traced the circuit from pin 1 to the coupling cap via the 287 ohm resistor but can't find any continuity from the other leg of the coupling cap to anything so I'm assuming it goes to the red cap.
I've tried tracing it the other way from pin 6 of the opamp and this goes to the 561 ohm resistor and again I can't trace it from here on.
Anyway I can check this out from your circuit diagram later.
I've take a whole bunch of readings which I'm trying to make sense of and while I was doing that I noticed a large solder splatt that suddenly appeared by a resistor near those 8 red stock wima caps, not near the opamp. The other thing I thought about was that coupling cap lead that was almost touching the screw head on the board, and I resoldered it. It could well have been something like that causing a short again.

Hi here is a separate question...
Hey did you say pin 1 of the tube?
That should be the Plate/anode & should be connected to the anode resistor. Check connection.

When I said there was no continuity between pin 1 and the anode I meant no direct connection, I didn't try following the circuit all the way from pin 1.

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #2,314 of 4,154
Not to side track on your troubleshooting,
But it is funny how the two amps (MK6 & MK8)
Reverse roles when modding for TOTL level...

Best tubes for MK6 remain same as if not molded, and can be quite expensive for the power tubes. .

While best tubes for MK8 reverse from the very expensive 6n30dr supertubes,
To the ultra low costing 6n6p tubes talked about here :

http://www.lampizator.eu/UPGRADE/upgrade%20noval%20tubes%20to%206H6P.html

Those tubes I run at a slightly higher bias...

For the driver stage, the MK8 is the same circuitry as the MK6, except for using 9pin tubes (probably for looks).

So I after alot of testing, switched to MK6 choices of using 8-pin driver tubes...
I finally settled on the 6C8G (6SL7 equiv) type for driver stage:

And this is after trying many many many 9pin and 8pin varieties of types, not just brands...
For this amp driver stage, the best 8-pin always were better than the best 9pins.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #2,315 of 4,154

Best tubes for MK6 remain same as if not molded, and can be quite expensive for the power tubes. .

http://www.lampizator.eu/UPGRADE/upgrade%20noval%20tubes%20to%206H6P.html

For the driver stage, the MK8 is the same circuitry as the MK6, except for using 9pin tubes (probably for looks).

So I after alot of testing, switched to MK6 choices of using 8-pin driver tubes...

And this is after trying many many many 9pin and 8pin varieties of types, not just brands...
For this amp driver stage, the best 8-pin always were better than the best 9pins.

Hey, great work Maxx! These are pretty cheap too!
Which ones do you like, KenRad, RCA, National Union... not the TungSol's at $2000 I hope
wink.gif
As soon as the amp is up and running......

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #2,316 of 4,154
I found the tung-sol to be one of best at in all 8pin (driver tube) types.

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #2,317 of 4,154
Which ones do you like, KenRad, RCA, National Union... not the TungSol's at $2000 I hope :wink: .

Oh!, haha I seen that sale.
It was for 100 NOS tubes.
That seller would have sold all by now, if he sold them separately..
It was also posted months ago.
When I saw it I offered to buy a few.
Seller agreed but then backed out.
So too bad for them.
I have my own tung-sol which is older production and better than that seller has.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #2,318 of 4,154
I'm struggling to understand this. I've looked  at the circuit diagram. I've also taken readings from every component that can be reached in the circuit.

Nearly every component has very low readings, ie. minus something, including nearly all tube pins. The anode resistor is about the only thing with positive readings which I suppose is encouraging.

I've tried to trace the circuit from pin 1 and opamp pin 6 and I get so far only.

The problem I have is knowing which reading is significant. Also I can't seem to find 2 resistors that read around 470 ohms.

Therefore I will give you a couple of readings in that circuit ie. the circuit from pin 1 to coupling cap to 470 ohm resistor to .22uF cap to opamp pin 6:

Pin 1    -62v     to:
   287 ohm resistor    -62v both legs     to:
       coupling cap      -61v      +193v other leg

Then from opamp pin 6     +15v      to
   .561 ohm resistor      15.5v       -22.4v other leg

I know opamp pin 7 is not in that circuit but it is also reading high ie 16v.

I don't know if that helps or if it is garbled.

Also I don't know what B- is or where it is on the board.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #2,320 of 4,154
Maxx good to hear that you like the 6C8G. I have bought few pairs of them. I did not have an opportinity to test to many types of the driver stage tubes. So hearing from you that I just have done one of the best choices make me feel good :). Very simiral are the 7193 KenRad with adapter. They are faster and tighter than 6C8G but less musical. Recently I have 7193 pluged in.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #2,321 of 4,154
Quote:
  Maxx good to hear that you like the 6C8G. I have bought few pairs of them. I did not have an opportinity to test to many types of the driver stage tubes. So hearing from you that I just have done one of the best choices make me feel good :). Very simiral are the 7193 KenRad with adapter. They are faster and tighter than 6C8G but less musical. Recently I have 7193 pluged in.

Hi Mogos, don't buy up all those 6C8G's, leave some for me 
tongue.gif

Quote:
  Yeah there's too much nonsense in that. Okay Here's what's gunna happen. Download skype on your phone, create a skype account if you don't have one. P.M. me your skype name and I'll help you out on skype. 

Hey, thanks coin, I'll set it up!

May 20, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #2,322 of 4,154
To the ultra low costing 6n6p tubes

6N6P has Pa of only 4.8W. How low current is this direct drive output stage using?

6N6P and variants don't have the top notch linearity:

https://i2.wp.com/www.bartola.co.uk/valves/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/THD-analysis.png

Of course in your application this is not very important; as a follower inside a NFB loop. The low Pa puzzles me though.

The 'king' of the 6SL7 / 12AX7 high mu high rp product line was the special quality 6SF5. It's got pretty much perfect 4P1L level curves, and a mu of 100. The top cap can be a pain though, I personally never got it completely quiet. Pretty tube though.

Maxx good to hear that you like the 6C8G. I have bought few pairs of them.[...] Very simiral are the 7193 KenRad with adapter. They are faster and tighter than 6C8G but less musical. Recently I have 7193 pluged in.

Wha...what? 7193 has a nominal rp of 6 to 7 k, 6C8G is at 22.5 k. They are similar like aeroplanes and boats, both can be used to get to places. Very different rides though.

In serious terms they require very very different circuitry around them to function properly.

Different tube types used the same pinouts because of tube testers, not because they should be used in the same circuit.

May 23, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #2,324 of 4,154
http://www.lampizator.eu/UPGRADE/upgrade noval tubes to 6H6P.html

I have tested as many driver tubes as I could before I blew out my transformer heater coil output winding to get that opinion.
So just recently I went online to see if any correlation to this,
And I found out that my findings actually did correlate to what was known already in general about some 9pins and Octal pin tubes.
Specifically the tubes used for these amps driver stage...
Hey, great work Maxx! These are pretty cheap too!
Which ones do you like, KenRad, RCA, National Union... not the TungSol's at $2000 I hope .
I am finding out a right combination is best...
Like brighter driver tube will liven a thicker powerube down the line...
So its a balance .
I'm struggling to understand this. I've looked at the circuit diagram. I've also taken readings from every component that can be reached in the circuit.
There is another way...
If you really want to see if it is your opamp,
Just swap that specific one which controls your defective stage,
To the other channel on the same stage (positibe or negative stage)
Then try and see if the meters are different .
And
The 'king' of the 6SL7 / 12AX7 high mu high rp product line was the special quality 6SF5. It's got pretty much perfect 4P1L level curves, and a mu of 100. The top cap can be a pain though, I personally never got it completely quiet. Pretty tube though.
I am specifically not dealing with single triode tubes,
because for me the only gain would be more linearity(non issue becaue, as MrCurwen stated we have feedback),
And the slight improvement from possible isolation of triodes.
The issue is that in this driver circuit it doesn't really apply because we are still within the same channel.
So the theoretical & possible gains of triode isolation would result in maybe better noise cancellation ,
wich is already non detectable..
And in this specific amp " balanced " design,
the driver tube actually NEEDS the two triode sections as similar as possible , so within the same tube glass,
is actually a better chance of uniformity.
Better still would be a driver tube with common cathode.
I tried some but haven't found any noticeably good ones.
Of course in your application this is not very important; as a follower inside a NFB loop. The low Pa puzzles me though.
Yes, you are correct as usual lol.
I am glad your interest about the tube.
Yes there is lower power output, although I am running them near max bias.
What I found was that although all these type tubes have the annotation of "P" for pulse,
Which is an advantage for increased power output..
In my trials upon listening, the music dynamics & on transient attacks, it seemed exaggerated ..
I found that the music dynamics seemed artificially expanded in minute levels at times.
Of all the 6n6p or 6h30 or 6n30dr types I tried,
The bottom line was the russian 6n6p (oldest version without the gold grids)
Were the most natural sounding... In this amp.
They had both the most natural, realistic and most holographic sound of the bunch... Even over the "supertube" version.... All hype.
But you are absolutely correct in that the 6n6p are a weaker tube for power output.
I lost a few DB of power as a result in my amp.
Remember since we are powering headphones , my application is not as critical to have lots of power,
So I still have just enough power on tap for my HEKV2(20ohm) to be acceptably loud , but not tremendous...
And my HD800 can play tremendous loud still.
I have the amp on high gain as well, with higher bias on both driver and power stages, and using the higher gain type driver tubes.. All to help with "gain".
It just all works out, lucky for me.
Also the increase MU of the 6SL7 type or 6C8G type , for me gives more life and detailing , wich would or could be lost in any non-optimal circuit or bias situations..
Remember the stock design is using a super low bias point which is already not optimal..
So I prefer the choice of a higher gain driver tube .
:)

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #2,325 of 4,154
I am going to give you MY OPINION, not law, but based soley on MY OWN RESEARCH....
About....
My..

TUBE SELECTION.. (! heh)

Ok here it is, and remember I am convinced mainly because it's what I was able to verify on my own... Yet only on this amp, so on another amp design it may not apply..

Quote:

I have personally tested and tried many variations of the dual triode driver tubes,
both nine-pin and eight pin...
As my MK8 uses nine pins over the octals that MK6 uses..

So,
These are the the reasons (both read about afterwards, and verified beforehand in my testing)
I will always go with an octal tube over any nine-pin, for the driver stage:

6SL7 is a more linear tube, than a 12AX7 ( which has spikes and dips in it's EQ )...
So you get get a better tonality out of the octal tube!

Octals were more popular with hifi DIY'ers for RIAA phono preamps,
because the 12AX7 is a horrible match with RIAA correction(!)..

Smaller 9pin tubes may also be vunerable to problems such as cross talk between the two sections and the heater.

Also the plates of the two sections are closer together because of the narrow confines of smaller tube...

So, to combat this, on some tubes
they decided to add a "shield' between the two triode sections, and bring it out on the extra pin, as done with MK8 power tubes.

This was used to keep the two sections more isolated,
which can also be especially useful for high frequency use or issues (oscilations)..

Still, the smaller size and higher gain factor and headroom of the 12AX7 type increased its popularity over the Octals, in guitar amps in the '60's.

But that's were advantages end and there more bad news ...
The square plates in tubes,
are found in the later (cheaper) constructed tube years, which
is why they usually don't command as high a price as the rectangular
or "round plates".

Round plates are more desireable ...
Although the round plates don't have as much maximum power handling as the rectangular or square plates of same type,
the focus is sound quality...

The round plates have a more "even distribution" between the cathode, grid and plate,
which improves the amplification quality and details of the tube...

I have personally verified this with many, many, many driver tube trials on my MK8,
Before finally settling on the MK6 choice of driver tube of...

Of the 6SL7 but especially 6C8G, as it has the superior characteristic of both greater triode separation and round plate...

Thats why an Octal (8pin) tube with round plates is best to me, IMHO...
:)

There you have it.
Truths exposed hehe.

Don't tell me, you already knew, lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back