Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first page)
Feb 9, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #886 of 4,154
Just messin' around!

I'm thinking of putting the Rifa's on this side to get over the problem Redge mentioned about putting back the PCB!! Everything could go like this, the Wima and its bypass could be rotated anticlockwise a quarter turn and the other 4 Rifa's could all line up horizontally on this side of the white Mcaps, similar to how Maxx has got his.

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #887 of 4,154
...I really don't know what I would get to replace the HE-500's I've got...

Did you mod them?
:)

I think I'll buy a Silver Dragon cable for the 3's though. I'm using Custom Cans Litz copper cable for the XC's which is nice but the 3's would benefit from a silver cable I think.

I too have a little cable (cardas),
And instead of ordering a silver dragon,
I just ordered a pure silver cable from ela-audio for less than $200, was a steal at 7ft and having 8 cores of 24awg pure silver wire and teflon sleeving.

In comparison, the silver dragon has a huge thick rubber coating, and a SUPER TINY TINY THIN GUAGE OF WIRE...

When I cut this cable to reterminate it, I was truley shocked at the super thin size...

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #888 of 4,154
Did you mod them?
smily_headphones1.gif

No, apart from inserting a length of tube into the pads to increase the distance to the ear, which didn't have much effect.

......I too have a little cable (cardas),
I just ordered a pure silver cable from ela-audio for less than $200, was a steal at 7ft and having 8 cores of 24awg pure silver wire and teflon sleeving.

In comparison, the silver dragon has a huge thick rubber coating, and a SUPER TINY TINY THIN GUAGE OF WIRE...

When I cut this cable to reterminate it, I was truley shocked at the super thin size...

Brilliant idea! Quite cheap too. What did it sound like?

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #889 of 4,154
I didn't get it yet.
Just ordered yesterday.

Also, your placement of caps is fine as long as the bypass .1uf Rifa's are close to the cathode caps..

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #890 of 4,154
  Just messin' around!

I'm thinking of putting the Rifa's on this side to get over the problem Redge mentioned about putting back the PCB!! Everything could go like this, the Wima and its bypass could be rotated anticlockwise a quarter turn and the other 4 Rifa's could all line up horizontally on this side of the white Mcaps, similar to how Maxx has got his.

Thats very innovative way of components installation - wire-solderless
biggrin.gif
. I could not spot the nanotransmitters
wink.gif
. Oh me stupid cause they are nano.

But speaking seriously the stock casing is to small for the mods we are doing. I realy don't envy you guys to put all this parts in such a small space. Even with my enlargement I still consider it to be to small. If I will do again the mod I will extend the casing even more to make more space between the top plate and the board.

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #891 of 4,154

Did you mod them?
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'll buy a Silver Dragon cable for the 3's though. I'm using Custom Cans Litz copper cable for the XC's which is nice but the 3's would benefit from a silver cable I think.

Interesting! I'll have a look at that. It seems the gauge is the same though @ 24awg, but the ela-audio has 8 conductors vs. 4 conductors for the silver dragon. Definitely less money also, which is a big plus!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #892 of 4,154

Thats very innovative way of components installation - wire-solderless
biggrin.gif
. I could not spot the nanotransmitters
wink.gif
. Oh me stupid cause they are nano.

You have to stay ahead of the game nowadays
tongue.gif

Sound quality is superb with only a slight rattle!

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #893 of 4,154

Did you mod them?
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting! I'll have a look at that. It seems the gauge is the same though @ 24awg, but the ela-audio has 8 conductors vs. 4 conductors for the silver dragon. Definitely less money also, which is a big plus!
smily_headphones1.gif

Found another one which is a lot less money for me as it's within EU.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultimate-Pure-Solid-Silver-Audeze-LCD2-LCD3-LCD-X-upgrade-cable-by-Lavricables-/181385832451?hash=item2a3b702803:g:l8UAAMXQrhdTUSmJ

8 x 28awg though, so pretty thin. What do you think?

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #894 of 4,154

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultimate-Pure-Solid-Silver-Audeze-LCD2-LCD3-LCD-X-upgrade-cable-by-Lavricables-/181385832451?hash=item2a3b702803:g:l8UAAMXQrhdTUSmJ

8 x 28awg though, so pretty thin. What do you think?

I didn't read the Swedish review!

It does look good quality from what you can tell from his information, I think I would go for one of these though for £160, £10 more, they are OCC silver and have good recommendations. They are 26awg:

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_61&product_id=59

Not really bothered for my HE-500 which sounds good with copper but for the LCD-3 I think silver would be great!

Edit: the UK cost of the Ebay silver cable you posted the link to is £149, I expect it woud be considerably cheaper in Sweden! So the Toxic cables silver cable would probably be quite expensive in comparison but it was only £10 more in UK money, (£160).

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #895 of 4,154
MisterX,
That link shows a thinner guage wire with no nylon sleeve protection,
Plus it's only about 6 feet (2 meters), so it is shorter.

Add shipping to US and it's more money..

Yes it is Less money by you like you say,
but I wouldn't buy it,
only because it is shorter and has no sleeving protection..

It probably looks like IEM cable..

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #896 of 4,154

As far as I can see from previous pics you connect the 2 legs on the top left and top right together and the same for the bottom legs in the pic for the WIMA, and the same for the PSU cap - (+ to +. and - to -).

As far as I can make out the cathode bypass caps,  PSU caps, and the 8k2 resistors have polarity ie. they are marked positive or negative either on the PCB or on the parts themselves. So do I have to put any of the parts in in a particular position in their respective locations and do I have to connect them up to their bypass caps in a particular position. I know I have to connect caps and their bypass caps head to head and tail to tail, and I know their solder points, I'm talking about orientation.

Also can I use heat shrink in place of sheathing. It just looks a lot thinner than proper sheathing and I wondered if it was as good an insulator?

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #897 of 4,154
MisterX,
That link shows a thinner guage wire with no nylon sleeve protection,
Plus it's only about 6 feet (2 meters), so it is shorter.

Add shipping to US and it's more money..

Yes it is Less money by you like you say,
but I wouldn't buy it,
only because it is shorter and has no sleeving protection..

It probably looks like IEM cable..

I agree, too thin. The length is no problem for me though. To me 5 feet is perfect as I don't move around when I listen, and I sit right next to the amp.

The toxic cable that baron linked looks interesting though!

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #898 of 4,154
You're right about the caps baron. But resistors do not have polarity. Only the psu caps have polarity as you're using the mundorf bipolar for cathode bypass.

Don't know what sheathing is but you can use heat shrink for insulation, no problem, I also used heat shrink on a few places.

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #899 of 4,154

I didn't read the Swedish review!

It does look good quality from what you can tell from his information, I think I would go for one of these though for £160, £10 more, they are OCC silver and have good recommendations. They are 26awg:

[url=http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_61&product_id=59]http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_61&product_id=59

Not really bothered for my HE-500 which sounds good with copper but for the LCD-3 I think silver would be great!

Edit: the UK cost of the Ebay silver cable you posted the link to is £149, I expect it woud be considerably cheaper in Sweden! So the Toxic cables silver cable would probably be quite expensive in comparison but it was only £10 more in UK money, (£160).

The cable is from Latvia not Sweden, so same price for me as for you.

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #900 of 4,154
I agree, too thin. The length is no problem for me though. To me 5 feet is perfect as I don't move around when I listen, and I sit right next to the amp.

The toxic cable that baron linked looks interesting though!
smily_headphones1.gif

That Toxic cable has been used by several members who have given it great recommendation, it's from a relatively new UK company who started up quite small a few years ago as far as I know.

I believe the review of the cable you mention in your link was reviewed in Finnish not Swedish sorry!

Don't know your rates of VAT or Customs but the $200 cable Maxx mentions would work out at $245 even assuming it was the same price for the UK, they usually add on about half as much again for goods to the UK! That works out at about £170 compared to the Toxic cable at £160 + p&p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back